• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Del Posto

Jason Perlow

It's brutally difficult to evict a commercial tenant who has been paying its rent in NYC. Cases like the DelPosto/Somerset dispute invariably end up settling and can drag on for quite a while without resolution. Even if Somerset did get an eviction order, it wouldn't be for quite some time. (This assumes that Del Posto has, in fact, been paying its rent. If they hadn't, the case would have been filed in a different court).

Edited by Mulcahy (log)

BTW, any truth to the rumour the Del Posto eviction rumour in the New York Post?

It's been reported in more than one media outlet, so I take it as true. However, I agree with the various comments upthread that the two sides are posturing. The landlord doesn't really want, or expect, Del Posto to leave. They are angling for a better deal.

eater (here) has more info about this..

From what I've heard through someone who works in the building above is that the goverment has certain agencies that house themselves in the building. Henceforth, the problem with the cameras being obscured, the lights positioned shining brightly and Del Posto taking up space in areas not leased to them. This will prove to be a big problem for Batali and his partners.

Eater is again first with the scoop. Of course, we should note that Eater is correcting its own earlier erroneous scoop. Tom Colicchio himself assures Eater that Craftsteak "is not located in the space scarred by Mario's duct work and is on target to open sometime between late March and early May."

Eater is again first with the scoop. Of course, we should note that Eater is correcting its own earlier erroneous scoop. Tom Colicchio himself assures Eater that Craftsteak "is not located in the space scarred by Mario's duct work and is on target to open sometime between late March and early May."

why does he keep saying NoMeat restaurant.

Pappardelle (or was it tagliatelle) with oxtail sounds pretty darn meaty to me.

?

?

I think he's making up a term:

North of the Meatpacking District.

?

I think he's making up a term:

North of the Meatpacking District.

ohhhh

ha

There's a report in today's New York Times about the conflict between Del Posto and its landlord:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/11/nyregion...r=1&oref=slogin

The posturing seems to be getting serious, with eviction papers being served on Thursday (though only for part of the space) and a surprise closing of the restaurant on Saturday on account of electrical work scheduled by the landlord.

In summary:

Mr. Bastianich argued that the dispute was really about money. Somerset, he said, is stuck with an outdated lease. The neighborhood has become hot since the deal was negotiated in 2003 and 2004, and at current prices Del Posto's 26,000 square feet would go for far more, The dispute, he says, is nothing but "a classic New York shakedown."

Mr. Estis countered that there were numerous violations at Del Posto besides the vault issue. He also said that in January the landlord asked Del Posto to settle the dispute.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

The landlords were annoyed because they weren't getting a cut on the $29 valet parking fee.

Above all else, popularity builds ego which builds contempt that eventually leads to failure. It's been that way for more than 2000 years and will probably remain so for another 2000.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Wanna know what's behind the pissing match? If the NYT article has its numbers right, the $130,000 per year lease they reported is dirt cheap; the place probably grosses as much on a good Friday or Saturday night.

Well, whose fault is that?!

And you're kidding about the gross on a Friday or Saturday night, aren't you? Because even at 300 covers, that's over $400 a person.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Sorry if this overlaps with a previous post - but I haven't read upstream far enough to see if anyone has posted about this Food Network show in the past week.

Tomorrow night, (Saturday, Feb. 18), the Food Network is doing a show all about Mario Batali and the prepping and opening of Del Posto. 9pm ET/PT.

U.E.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

It seems that Joseph B and I are the only eGullet members to have so much as a morsel there so far as I can tell. I can't believe that nobody here has been curious. Fess up!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

This complex is starting to sound like Time -Warner Southwest. The nearby Chelsea Market is like Whole Foods. Now all they need is an upscale mall. :hmmm:

chelsea market is a bunch of small independantly owned businesses with reputations for quality.

whole foods is a big evil corporation. with the guise of being socially responsible.

?

has anyone eaten there? has there been a review?

New York Magazine, New York Post, and Strong Buzz have all reviewed it.

have any non-publication affiliated egullters eaten there and care to report?

ulterior epicure.

[edited to fix formatting and grammatical mishaps]

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

has anyone eaten there? has there been a review?

New York Magazine, New York Post, and Strong Buzz have all reviewed it.

ulterior epicure.

Based on my very limited experience on EG the silence from the NY crew speaks volumes on the subject.

mike

-Mike & Andrea

ulterior epicure.

Based on my very limited experience on EG the silence from the NY crew speaks volumes on the subject.

mike

that's what i was afraid of... :hmmm:

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I figure that the silence just means others haven't gone yet. I think it's pretty unlikely that members have gone and decided that the didn't want to post anything, but if any of you are out there, please post.

Michael aka "Pan"

I figure that the silence just means others haven't gone yet. I think it's pretty unlikely that members have gone and decided that the didn't want to post anything, but if any of you are out there, please post.

pan,

you're certainly right on that. i'm just afraid that the fact that no egulleter has dined (or dined and felt the experience unworthy of posting about it) at del posto may be due to the initial reports of doom and gloom... i certainly understand the hesitation myself... if true, sad... :unsure:

u.e.

[edited for word choice error]

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account