• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Del Posto

Jason Perlow

So I notice there's a $29 valet parking fee. Does it come with a wax job and interior cleaning? Or do they park the car in a heated stall? Something must be done for that price aside from parking the car in a bus stop.

Hey, you could buy certain cars for less than $29 - at least in the neighborhood where I grew up.

Give me a break - $29 for valet parking. Why not just ask for a blank check for dinner while you're at it.

Be cool Mario, your shorts don't cost that much.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

For $29 they probably play WQXR instead of a rock station while they're driving your car around the block.

Oh, I didn't realize that. Then the $29 is a great value. :laugh:

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

So I notice there's a $29 valet parking fee. Does it come with a wax job and interior cleaning? Or do they park the car in a heated stall? Something must be done for that price aside from parking the car in a bus stop.

Hey, you could buy certain cars for less than $29 - at least in the neighborhood where I grew up.

Give me a break - $29 for valet parking. Why not just ask for a blank check for dinner while you're at it.

I hate to tell you, but $29 is par for the course for parking garages in NYC. As a despised "bridge and tunnel" person I'm actually quite happy that dedicated restaurant parking is avaliable.

In some parts of NYC, its not unusual to pay $40 for parking, sometimes $50. So I think the restaurant is being pretty damn reasonable.

$29 for a whole evening which ensures the safetly of my vehicle is not a big thing for someone like me to swallow.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

If Bruni ends up having to pan this place, won't he look like a bit of a dolt for playing it so big before it opened?

I still think it's a conflict of interest -- his interest!

I thought the Bruni piece was sufficiently balanced to allow him to go either way in the review. He appeared to be pointing out some of the potential hazards, particularly the depth of the menu.

I hate to tell you, but $29 is par for the course for parking garages in NYC. As a despised "bridge and tunnel" person I'm actually quite happy that dedicated restaurant parking is avaliable.

In some parts of NYC, its not unusual to pay $40 for parking, sometimes $50. So I think the restaurant is being pretty damn reasonable.

$29 for a whole evening which ensures the safetly of my vehicle is not a big thing for someone like me to swallow.

Those other parking garages are independent businesses looking to make a buck independent of anything else. At the prices Del Posto was charging at least as of a couple of weeks ago, parking should be free, I think this is a place designeed for conspicuous consumption and little else. I expect the food to be tasty, but from what I have personally seen the value is way out of whack. This place appears to be a paeon to ego and greed at least from my first impression. I very much hope that this impression is proven wrong, though.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I couldn't disagree more.

When you park in a garage you're doing business with a company designed for that purpose. If Del Posto wanted to get into the parking business, then Mario et al should have opened a garage instead of a restaurant.

To rip people off for another $35 (with tip) is an insult to the patron who is paying a $300-400 restaurant tab. Would you also be okay with a $20 coat check charge and what about $10 to use the toilet facilities?

I've been going to restaurants for 40+ years and have been driving to them to for almost as long and never have paid a $29 valet parking charge - not even close. And I tip the "parkers" substantially.

I've spent more than $29 in a restaurant for a cocktail, but to pay that number for valet parking is pretentious and arrogant. I would rather pay $110 ticket for parking illegally than to give Del Posto $29 to "valet" my vehicle.

It's truly a shame what wealth and fame can do to someone.

Rich Schulhoff

It's likely that the valet parking concession is run by a nearby garage. In Manhattan, valet parking is not the norm even at the most luxurious restaurants -- most of them just refer you to a nearby garage. So the fact that you can pull right up to this restaurant and have your car parked for standard Manhattan garage rates would seem to represent value added.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

It's likely that the valet parking concession is run by a nearby garage. In Manhattan, valet parking is not the norm even at the most luxurious restaurants -- most of them just refer you to a nearby garage. So the fact that you can pull right up to this restaurant and have your car parked for standard Manhattan garage rates would seem to represent value added.

Actually, there are valet companies that restaurants hire for this purpose and they cover the insurance and staffing. That's more likely.

Rich Schulhoff

If Bruni ends up having to pan this place, won't he look like a bit of a dolt for playing it so big before it opened?

I thought the Bruni piece was sufficiently balanced to allow him to go either way in the review. He appeared to be pointing out some of the potential hazards, particularly the depth of the menu.

IMOP -the real point is how the Times views the role of its restaurant critics. The Del Posto piece in question was a 'features" oriented piece --most likely a result of a PR push by the management of the restaurant. In and of itself, this is not a problem--it is a newspaper's job to report on events etc.--the opening of del Posto does have some importance and is newsworthy.

What is of concern, at least to me, is having the Times critic write the piece. The Times has several well qualified reporters and/or food writers who would have been more than capable of writing the Del Posto article. I still see no "special insight" only Bruni could provide reflected in the piece.

I doubt it is a critic's job to offer critical insight on a restaurant that is not open to the public.

(in fact most reviews come after a restaurant has had time to work out any kinks--one rarely sees a theatre critic offering commentary on a play that is in previews).

Bruni was, to some extent, participating in the publicity machine for Del Posto. This "lessens" the gravitas of his function as a reviewer and critic and opens the door to all kinds of questions.

Also problematic is evenhandedness of coverage--will Bruni do a piece on preopenings of Sergio Maccioni's or Danny Meyers next place?

In essence, what we got was a preview not only of the restaurant but also a preview of Bruni's coming review of Del Posto. He seemed to cover the decor part of his formal review.

The Times is, once again, showing that the editors see no difference in the roles of their critics and their features and news writers and reporters. They got into some trouble here with l'affaire Hesser recently.

One hopes that Bruni serves the readers and restaurant goers of this city (and visitors) by being unimpeachable and applying a discerning critical eye to reviewing restaurants.

Other writers should serve readers by informing them of newsworthy openings and writing personality profiles and informative features stories.

Journalism 101--IMOP.

IMOP -the real point is how the Times views the role of its restaurant critics. The Del Posto piece in question was a 'features" oriented piece --most likely a result of a PR push by the management of the restaurant. In and of itself, this is not a problem--it is a newspaper's job to report on events etc.--the opening of del Posto does have some importance and is newsworthy.

What is of concern, at least to me, is having the Times critic write the piece. The Times has several well qualified reporters and/or food writers who would have been more than capable of writing the Del Posto article. I still see no "special insight" only Bruni could provide reflected in the piece.

I doubt it is a critic's job to offer critical insight on a restaurant that is not open to the public.

(in fact most reviews come after a restaurant has had time to work out any kinks--one rarely sees a theatre critic offering commentary on a play that is in previews).

Bruni was, to some extent, participating in the publicity machine for Del Posto. This "lessens" the gravitas of his function as a reviewer and critic and opens the door to all kinds of questions.

Also problematic is evenhandedness of coverage--will Bruni do a piece on preopenings of Sergio Maccioni's or Danny Meyers next place?

In essence, what we got was a preview not only of the restaurant but also a preview of Bruni's coming review of Del Posto. He seemed to cover the decor part of his formal review.

The Times is, once again, showing that the editors see no difference in the roles of their critics and their features and news writers and reporters. They got into some trouble here with l'affaire Hesser recently.

One hopes that Bruni serves the readers and restaurant goers of this city (and visitors) by being unimpeachable and applying a discerning critical eye to reviewing restaurants.

Other writers should serve readers by informing them of newsworthy openings and writing personality profiles and informative features stories.

Journalism 101--IMOP.

Valid points all and the NY Times problems of this nature didn't begin or end in the food department. The news section was the first to experience the problem.

But there is a simple solution here. Let one of the other critics review Del Posto. Certainly if the review carries weight (and that's debatable), it's because it's in the NY Times, not who the author is.

Rich Schulhoff

Rich

Good points.

I believe that the Times is focusing on expanding its National readership. (all newpapers are facing this problme of declining circulation and ad revenues).

I suspect that they are looking to people outside new York and if so, the Del Posto preview piece is of more interest to them than the actual review of the place.

I also believe this is why Bruni is focusing on the dining "scene" in New York (both in his formal reviews and the pieces like the one on the Tourandel empire or the Del Posto piece.

interestingly, there was, I believe, a reference in the Del Posto article "noting" readers could get a Bruni "tour" of Del Posto on line.

what we appear to have here is a blurring of the lines between circulation and Times on line (ancillary services) and journalism (critical reviewing) and features writing.

A pretty muddy mix--IMOP.

With their location they need valet parking if they are going to attract anyone from the burbs. Most Cityfolk would probably go by cab as public transportation isn't too convenient either.

C'mon people has anyone else had a scrap of food there? :blink:

Edited by docsconz (log)

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

I haven't, but a close friend went last weekend and basically agreed with you Doc. He said the food was good, but not nearly worth the prices they were charging. More importantly, he said he "...took a picture of the place..." Which means, since he won't be returning, he wanted to remember how it looked.

PS - He parked on the street for free.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

I've spent more than $29 in a restaurant for a cocktail, but to pay that number for valet parking is pretentious and arrogant. I would rather pay $110 ticket for parking illegally than to give Del Posto $29 to "valet" my vehicle.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand this logic. I would never spend $29 for a cocktail! :laugh:

FWIW, I had to use a parking lot the other night on the upper east side - just couldn't find a space and was a little late to dinner...to me, using a parking lot is a last resort, as with a little persistence in a lot of neighborhoods, a spot can usually be found. Oh yeah, it was $31.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

With their location they need valet parking if they are going to attract anyone from the burbs. Most Cityfolk would probably go bay cab as public transportation isn't too convenient either.

I'm inclined to agree that valet parking is aimed at suburban diners. Native Manhattanites are less likely to drive to a restaurant. Many don't own a car and those that do are not so inclined to use it for trips around Manhattan for dinner. (Round trip by cab, for me, would be less expensive than valet parking. For someone living on the upper east side, that might not be the case.) Even less likely to have and use a car are those well heeled tourists from overseas who make up a large segment of the diners at the city's most expensive restaurants. Doc is sizing this restaurant as not aiming to solicit my business primarily and I suspect he's accurate.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

The full Del Posto menu, in all its glory, is available in this Chowhound post.

The prices are not unreasonable for a high-end restaurant. Antipasti are $13-19. Pastas are in a wide range, $12-30. Risottos for 2 are $50. Secondi are generally $27-30, except for meat dishes for two, which are $70-100.

Leg of lamb for the whole table is $210, but this is obviously an enormous portion for 6 people. Likewise the mixed grill ($230) or the arctic char ($220). Desserts are $12-15.

Edited by oakapple (log)

The full Del Posto menu, in all its glory, is available in this Chowhound post.

The prices are not unreasonable for a high-end restaurant. Antipasti are $13-19. Pastas are in a wide range, $12-30. Risottos for 2 are $50. Secondi are generally $27-30, except for meat dishes for two, which are $70-100.

Leg of lamb for the whole table is $210, but this is obviously an enormous portion for 6 people. Likewise the mixed grill ($230) or the arctic char ($220). Desserts are $12-15.

I think they may have toned down their prices a little bit as these seem less expensive than what I remember seeing on the menu. My recollection is that the majority of the pastas were between $20-30 per plate. Even so, I qualified my complaints as primarily relating to the lounge not having been able to sample anything from the regular menu. I stated in this post

Although we were unable to order from it (we would have loved to sample a pasta), the main menu appeared more reasonable, although hardly inexpensive. The carte appeared to be entirely classical with little in the way of obvious innovation. To be clear that statement is an observation not a criticism. Given Batali's track record for food at the wonderful Babbo, I have no doubt that the food will be well executed. Though I was disappointed with the carpaccio in my mouth, the arancine at least were delicious. They do have several tasting options including a 10 course "Del Posto Tasting Menu" for $120 that included two or three pasta dishes.

One reason restaurants have soft openings is to get a feel for their concept and to tweek it. I very much hope they tweeked this one. mario is too good a chef and restauranteur to go with what I saw (Ihope).

Twitter - @docsconz

• 4 weeks later...

There is a bit of a difference between not having an availability for three people and not accept parties of three all-together. The poster seems to be saying they do in fact reserve tables of three but had nothing available.