• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Millbank (near Sowerby Bridge, West Yorkshire)

Bapi

• 1 month later...

lunch here on Sat with Bapi, Rosie and Hugo ... and the man is quite right. It's an absolute gem, and he's lucky to have it on his doorstep.

We were almost foiled by a powercut earlier in the morning - but fortunately light etc was restored as we had some drinks and cheese in the bar (well, didn't want it to go to waste) and so the planned gluttony was back on track.

Particular highlights for me were the scallops in the starter (crisp and sweet) ... and the lamb faggot was also very very good. Simple clean flavour of meat with no unnecessary frippery.

Loved my main course of goosnargh duck breast with a duck pie (a pie as a side order - this is my kind of eating!!), principally because of the orange and beetroot sauce. Sweet and earthy beetroot - with the orange providing a good citrus spike - delicious. I should have probably shared more of my main course because the steak from Bapi's plate was delicious ... but my greed sort of obliterated my manners .. sorry.

Somehow found an extra stomach for dessert - and the peanut butter icecream deserves special commendation. Would have rather enjoyed a bowl of this to myself - but somehow "consoled" myself with the chocolate fondant.

Prices so reasonable that with all the drinks etc ... was only £35 per head - including service.

Oh yes - the service: enthusiastic and friendly. and if they'll have me back - I intend to return for the corned beef and picallilli ... the lamb and shepherd's pie ... the pork and black pudding hash browns ..... etc etc etc

Splendid company too from B and R And H ... and I can only hope H's new tambourine did not drive his parents to distraction on the way home!

Yin

and I can only hope H's new tambourine did not drive his parents to distraction on the way home!

Apologies - I haven't been on-line for a few days, as I have been in hospital. The on-set of acute deafness unfortunately- caused by the aforementioned gift from Auntie Yin. :wink::biggrin:

It was a slightly worrying start to the afternoon with Joe ringing to say the power was out at the Millbank and indeed, a large chunk of West Yorkshire. But as Yin was en-route already we thought we would risk it and pop over anyway. Very glad we did as we had a very pleasant afternoon sitting outside overlooking the valley. Special mention for my Rib-eye steak - fabulous crust on the outside and cooked rare as requested- and with great chips. A bargain at £12.95. Comped cheese course was very welcome, which was served as something to nibble on whilst the power was out. But which we actually ended up eating afterwards, since the power had returned. Nice gooey chocolate fondant too as Yin mentions- with knockout peanut butter ice-cream.

Delighted Yin enjoyed it so much.

Edited by Bapi (log)

Apologies - I haven't been on-line for a few days, as I have been in hospital. The on-set of acute deafness unfortunately- caused by the aforementioned gift from Auntie Yin. :wink:  :biggrin:

Really?! well, the deafness will protect you from the drum kit I'm about to post .. :wink:

• 1 year later...

Well a few things have changed since I posted last year- not least the fact that since we loved the village so much- and obviously the pub, we actually moved into Mill Bank last December! The village, not the pub understand, although you are quite likely to find me at the pub of a weekend. :smile:

You can imagine how many meals we have enjoyed there since we moved in, but I just had to post about yesterdays lunch, as it was so good. I started with a loin of Yorkshire hare, with pickled cucumber and a potato fritter. A beast that is sadly rarely seen on menus. It was prepared in a variation of a pastrami style -having been marinaded in paprika, sea salt, corriander and mustard seed and black pepper. The loin was then encrusted with corrainder seed and black pepper before being pan fried. Beautifully tender and off set wonderfully by the slightly sharp cucumber and the rich and creamy fritter.

I followed this with one of my favourite dishes of the year- a steak and mushroom suet pudding, with two generous lobes of seared foie gras, celeriac mash, spinach and a sublime ,truffled sauce. And yes, it was every bit as good as it sounds. Granted it was rich- but the steak pudding wth a sliver of the foie gras and the sauce redolent with truffle- was just wonderful. Apparently everyone who tried the dish at lunch yesterday- myself included, said the same thing- " Do not take this dish of the menu".

We also had a salad of white crab and avocado, with roasted tomato and cumin seed foccacia for the mother in law and a main course of chicken braised in lemon and olive oil, red wine rissoto and roasted artichokes for the moo cow, which she loved. So with three glasses of wine, a couple of G&T's and ice cream for the little horror, we left about £70 ish quid lighter, but a darn sight happier.

I am a truly lucky sod to have this place three minutes away and talking of which- it's Bank Holiday Jazz night tonight- so must dash.

Sorry, I didn't describe it as well as I thought I had. The two lobes of foie gras were sat atop of the pudding. Mmmm.

Put it this way my friend. I had a dream about Sharon Stone a couple a weeks ago, the sort where one wakes up feeling slightly sordid and marginally guilty. Trust me, in terms of happiness the pudding comes very close.

Right, got to go or we wont get a table for the jazz and (gulp) also before the missus reads the paragraph above...........

Edited by Bapi (log)