• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktails for Colorful Foliage

Alchemist

Well we are now muddling our way into fall. It may be time to put aside those childish things, juices and the like, and pick up the instruments of fall. I'm thinking apple jack, Rittenhouse rye, deep cuban style rums. How shall we pair cocktails to golden turkey? Maybe some of that cranberry sauce or cherry compote should sneak into a shaker. Any Ideas?

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

Apple cider with bourbon on the rocks-- whatever proportions you want.

We call that a Stonewall, but Googling for that term I see warm drinks made with rum.

Throw a little home made ginger syrup and it will warm the cockels of your heart throughout the cold months.

Does anyone have a nice recipe for ginger-infused simple syrup?

If you slice some ginger thin and put it in your syrup as it forms, and let it barely simmer longer than you otherwise would, it'll be somewhat gingery by the end. You'll also have some candied ginger.

Not too precise but you can experiment, experiment, experiment.

I made Cranberry Mimosas last Thanksgiving. I boiled down some fresh cranberries, sugar and water and then whirled into a thin puree. I added a couple of healthy dashes of bitters. A dribble of puree in the bottom of the flute and top with sparkling wine of your choice. Needs a stir to incorporate and always has a sweet blob at the bottom of the glass, but they were well received and mighty tasty, if I do say so myself.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I made Cranberry Mimosas last Thanksgiving.  I boiled down some fresh cranberries, sugar and water and then whirled into a thin puree.  I added a couple of healthy dashes of bitters.  A dribble of puree in the bottom of the flute and top with sparkling wine of your choice.  Needs a stir to incorporate and always has a sweet blob at the bottom of the glass, but they were well received and mighty tasty, if I do say so myself.

Yum, I make a cherry compote for thannsgiving and thanks to you some of it will end up singing splish, splash in a champange coupe.

I'm thinking apple jack, Rittenhouse rye, deep cuban style rums. . . Maybe some of that cranberry sauce or cherry compote should sneak into a shaker.  Any Ideas?

Yes! As much as I have enjoyed all the Ti Punches, Rum Swizzles and Gin Fizzes of the summer, I am looking forward to heavier, darker liquors when the weather cools down. Most likely I'll be picking up my Laird's 100 proof Bonded Applejack obsession at that time. My main success with this spirit has been with an old fashioned cocktail of nothing more than 2 ounces Laird's bonded, 1 teaspoon rich demerara syrup and two dashes of Fee's aromatic bitters, stirred, strained and garnished with a fat twist. But I really want to experiment with this and find some more good drinks with Laird's bonded. Muddling in some cranberry might be a cool direction to explore.

I tried making a cranberry champagne cocktail to start my over the top Thanksgiving dinner last year (Cava, cranberry puree and a sugar cube soaked in orange bitters). It turned out okay, but I had some trouble with the cranberry puree I made being a little to cohesive due to the pectin and therefore not diffusing into the drink as well as I might have liked. Looked like this:

gallery_8505_0_8152.jpg

--

I have been playing around with apple jack and calvados because they just scream fall. But it's hard to pull back the sweetness. I love the apple blow fizz, but I like to cut the calvados with a little Poire Williams (41 Jane Does) to bring in some extra texture. Any body got some apple jack/ calvados combos they like?

You mean applejack and calvados together?

I like the Apple Blow Fizz, but made with Laird's bonded instrad of calvados -- it seems a little less sweet and a little rougher than most cocktail-quality calvados.

Apple jack OR Calvados, pardon the sloppy grammer. And yes the Bonded ROCKS!!!

• 2 weeks later...

You should try the "41 Jane Does" It's half calvados (or apple jack if that is your druthers), half Poir Williams, its dryer abd has an almost gritty texture that resembles biting into a fresh pear.

Just came up with a Spiced Pear Sangria-tini drink for a Spanish menu. Dry white wine, spiced simple syrup, pear nectar and Belle de Brillet Cognac. Very delicious.

The Belle de Brillet Cognac has to be the most delicious stuff I've ever tried. Not inexpensive, but marries the best of both a fine Cognac and Poire Williams together smoothly. Mmmmmmm...Yummy! :wub: I have to go buy myself a bottle of this to have at home.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Just came up with a Spiced Pear Sangria-tini drink for a Spanish menu.  Dry white wine, spiced simple syrup, pear nectar and Belle de Brillet Cognac.  Very delicious.

The Belle de Brillet Cognac has to be the most delicious stuff I've ever tried.  Not inexpensive, but marries the best of both a fine Cognac and Poire Williams together smoothly.  Mmmmmmm...Yummy! :wub:  I have to go buy myself a bottle of this to have at home.

WOW, that sounds awsome, may i borrow the Belle & Pear idea and turn it into a fizz with egg white and sparkling pear nectar? Maybe a whisper of Vietnamese cinnimon. Winter Wonderland.

The falling leaves cocktail sounds like a very interesting drink but since I did not have most of the ingredients on hand I started experimenting with something similar. My current formulation is:

1.5 oz Lairds Bonded Apple Brandy

1.0 oz hard cider (I am using Clos Normand Brut which is reasonably dry, has decent apple flavor/nose and 4% alc.)

0.5 oz Cointreau

1.25 tsp honey syrup (1:1)

1 tsp of lemon juice

2 dashes Angostura

2 dashes Fees orange bitters

I like the balance of this with the lemon juice providing a counterpoint to the sweetness and the bitters giving complexity and spice to the apples. I'd like a cider with a bit more fizz and I am contemplating infusing some vanilla into the brandy for future versions. This drink is a bit sweeter than the general preference of this bord seems to be but I think this appropriate for a fall aperteif. For garnish I am using a canella stick and an apple slice.

Just came up with a Spiced Pear Sangria-tini drink for a Spanish menu.  Dry white wine, spiced simple syrup, pear nectar and Belle de Brillet Cognac.  Very delicious.

The Belle de Brillet Cognac has to be the most delicious stuff I've ever tried.  Not inexpensive, but marries the best of both a fine Cognac and Poire Williams together smoothly.  Mmmmmmm...Yummy! :wub:  I have to go buy myself a bottle of this to have at home.

WOW, that sounds awsome, may i borrow the Belle & Pear idea and turn it into a fizz with egg white and sparkling pear nectar? Maybe a whisper of Vietnamese cinnimon. Winter Wonderland.

Absolutely! Just let me know what you came up with in case I want to borrow it back. :wink:

Have you tried the Belle de Brillet yet, or are you going out to try it now? I'm curious what others think of it. I think it's insanely delicious.

I like your idea for the Fizz. Is there such a thing as sparkling pear nectar or will you add club soda? I just use the Goya canned pear nectar. Actually all of the Goya and Jumex juices are delicious and excellent for mixing.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Never been a big fan of warm coffee drinks, so I will contribute this recipe for Hot Whiskey, as taught to me by an Irish friend. I believe it is technically a "toddy". Recommended as a "cure" any time you might be feeling under the weather. Especially good for sore throats and colds.

Hot Whiskey

2 ounces Jameson Whiskey*

1 tsp. sugar (or to taste)

Lemon Slice (1/8 lemon, longitudinally sliced)

3 cloves**

Hot Water

Put the kettle on the stove. Combine Whiskey and sugar in the bottom of a mug or tempered glass cup. Stud lemon slice with cloves, and put in glass. After water boils, let stand for a few minutes to cool slightly, and pour into cup. I prefer not much more than two parts water to one part whiskey; but, others add more.

*Don't tell my friend; but, it is also good with bourbon.

**Sometimes I add half a stick of cinnamon, too.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Absolutely! Just let me know what you came up with in case I want to borrow it back. :wink:

Have you tried the Belle de Brillet yet, or are you going out to try it now? I'm curious what others think of it. I think it's insanely delicious.

I like your idea for the Fizz. Is there such a thing as sparkling pear nectar or will you add club soda? I just use the Goya canned pear nectar. Actually all of the Goya and Jumex juices are delicious and excellent for mixing.

I have onr of thoes seltzer makers. I put pear nectar into it. Voila, sparkling pear soda.

I have onr of thoes seltzer makers.  I put pear nectar into it.  Voila, sparkling pear soda.

Brilliant!! I'd have never considered such a thing but it makes total sense.

I'm always afraid to have those behind the bar because someone is always tempted to inhale the stuff out of the little canisters and keel over. (Note: I had friends when I was younger that used to suck the nitrous oxide out of the whipped cream cans at the supermarket and leave them all flat) :raz:

The idea of having the soda canister makes a whole lot of things possible. There are so many tasty juices and nectars out there waiting to be zapped with a bit of effervescence. Sounds like I have some research ahead of me....

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I have onr of thoes seltzer makers.  I put pear nectar into it.  Voila, sparkling pear soda.

Brilliant!! I'd have never considered such a thing but it makes total sense.

I'm always afraid to have those behind the bar because someone is always tempted to inhale the stuff out of the little canisters and keel over. (Note: I had friends when I was younger that used to suck the nitrous oxide out of the whipped cream cans at the supermarket and leave them all flat) :raz:

The idea of having the soda canister makes a whole lot of things possible. There are so many tasty juices and nectars out there waiting to be zapped with a bit of effervescence. Sounds like I have some research ahead of me....

Yes the clinical experimentation that makes our insurance companies heartily dislike us. Charles H. Baker Jr.

Yesterday I picked up some organic apple cider, charged it, and OH-MY-GOD... I was topping my applejack, calvados, rye, bourbon, poir, cocktails with it. It ROCKS, It doesn't dillute the cocktail any, it gives it a fresher ephervesence (When will we get spell check on this site?) and the bubbles are bubblier (yes thats a technical term). Plus it looks so cool.

Some hints. Put the charger in the fridge an hour befor filling it. Make sure the liquid you're going to use is cold. Shake the cannister hard every time, and squeeze a little off into the sink before hitting your drink.

I feel like a dork that I haven't taken advantage of this before. Duh! I have been fighting the Neferious Dillution for years. I'd brought my soda portions down to the little side of nothing, whittled down to a fine point. My Fizzes had gone from the kissing cousins of Sours to more like their fraternal twins. Well no more.

Wait, epiphiny, what would happen if you put cold gin, and lemon, and simple syrup in the cannister, and charged the whole shabang? Maybe it smacks of pre-made cocktail, but everything would hit the ice cold, and sooo fizzylicious (another technical term) that the flavors would really pop.

I know that water content is key in a martini, but how important is it in a collins? I can feel the insurance companies quaking in their wingtips.

Yes the clinical experimentation that makes our insurance companies heartily dislike us. Charles H. Baker Jr.

Yesterday I picked up some organic apple cider, charged it, and OH-MY-GOD... I was topping my applejack, calvados, rye, bourbon, poir, cocktails with it.  It ROCKS, It doesn't dillute the cocktail any, it gives it a fresher ephervesence (When will we get spell check on this site?) and the bubbles are bubblier (yes thats a technical term).  Plus it looks so cool. 

Some hints.  Put the charger in the fridge an hour befor filling it.  Make sure the liquid you're going to use is cold.  Shake the cannister hard every time, and squeeze a little off into the sink before hitting your drink.

I feel like a dork that I haven't taken advantage of this before. Duh!  I have been fighting the Neferious Dillution for years.  I'd brought my soda portions down to the little side of nothing, whittled down to a fine point.  My Fizzes had gone from the kissing cousins of Sours to more like their fraternal twins. Well no more. 

Wait, epiphiny, what would happen if you put cold gin, and lemon, and simple syrup in the cannister, and charged the whole shabang?  Maybe it smacks of pre-made cocktail, but everything would hit the ice cold,  and sooo fizzylicious (another technical term) that the flavors would really pop. 

I know that water content is key in a martini, but how important is it in a collins?  I can feel the insurance companies quaking in their wingtips.

Alchemist - you are a true and creatively inspired cocktalian. I'd would love to have a drink with you sometime. We'd have a lot to talk about...

Love the technical terms. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

In Gourmet Mag last year sometime they had a great recipe for a rosemary pear martini. Made it many times through the winter and will again this fall. The recipe calls for a Poire William, which I didn't buy. I substituted a pear nectar from Spain. I think the brand is Goya? Friends loved the drink. So do I.

I also make some cranberry syrup for cocktails and keep it in the freezer. I simply take a pack of frozen cranberries and place them in a small saucepan. Then fill the saucepan with just enough water to almost cover the cranberries. Then add sugar. Lots of sugar. Simmer for about 15 to minutes. I then push the mixture through a fine sieve with a spoon, getting as much of the mush from the berries as possible. The cosmo martinis made with this cranberry 'syrup' are fantastic.

Both of these syrups, (the cranberry and the rosemary), can be made well in advance and frozen if necessary.

Another fun cocktail I've been mixing lately is simple. This isn't seasonal at all, just something we've been drinking lately. (Ratios here are up to you, you know how much vodka you and your friends like in a drink. I like my cocktails pretty pale- light on the juice.)

Pour some vanilla vodka into a shaker with some ice, add a splash of cranberry juice or a teaspoon of cranberry syrup, and a bigger splash of Bolton Lemonade with Mango. (This is a packaged, store bought juice from California.) Shake hard for at least twenty seconds to allow all of the flavours to come together. Then pour into a chilled martini glass. No garnish necessary really. The cocktail develops a bit of foam ontop that is lighter than the cocktail itself, almost like it's a pink sweater wearing a fuzzy collar.

At Globe Restaurant in Montreal I once had a great Apple cider martini that was made with Goldschlager, a cinnamon liqueur and a cider that they had on tap. Sublime. They may or may not have used a bit of apple juice as well. I've asked other bartenders to try to make one but not one of the resulting drinks have been as good or balanced as the one I had way back when. Maybe I should start trying at home. But what do I do with the Goldschlager if I can't come up with the right recipe?

Bob McLeod

VOX BACCULUS HIC VADIS IN VITRIO JUBILIAM

The road goes on forever and the party never ends