• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tojo's

col klink

Excuse me for asking, but how much? It looks fantastic & Judith you are probably right i have to go soon.

How much depends on how far along you want your omakase experience to go plus whatever you want to drink with your meal. Budget as you would for Lumière or de Canck's La Chronique, more if you want to have more than the 9 items (+ dessert) that I did.

Better photos of previous Tojo's omakase creations are of course available on www.tojos.com.

I had to do a double take: "Feenie’s crab maki happy face" came out as "Feenie’s crapy maki happy face"

Went to Tojo's recently, pics 1, 2, 6-8 and 10 were served. Instead of the sablefish we were served a halibut (?) encrusted with rice balls (either baked or fried) with a nice sauce (OK- I have sort term food memory). We were also served halibut (nigiri sized) with rock salt, small piece of grapefruit and cucumber (?), just roll it up and enjoy. The unagi sunomono was fantastic! I believe #10 is the northern nights roll (freshly fried prawn, mango, asparagus and some other stuff). I had about 15 plates, SO about 11 plates. Damage was a respectable $320 for both of us (add drinks/tax/tip). After about 7 plates the head waiter will ask if you wish for more or stop.

I had to do a double take: "Feenie’s crab maki happy face" came out as "Feenie’s crapy maki happy face"

It might as well have been; I vaccilate between ennui, pity and the giggles whenever I look at the photo.

Went to Tojo's recently, pics 1, 2, 6-8 and 10 were served. Instead of the sablefish we were served a halibut (?) encrusted with rice balls (either baked or fried) with a nice sauce (OK- I have sort term food memory). We were also served halibut (nigiri sized) with rock salt, small piece of grapefruit and cucumber (?), just roll it up and enjoy. The unagi sunomono was fantastic! I believe #10 is the northern nights roll (freshly fried prawn, mango, asparagus and some other stuff). I had about 15 plates, SO about 11 plates. Damage was a respectable $320 for both of us (add drinks/tax/tip). After about 7 plates the head waiter will ask if you wish for more or stop.

Photo #10 isn't the Northern Lights roll. What I had was definitely vegetarian: taku-an, asparagus, avocado, pickled cucumber and ume paste wrapped in cucumber.

I'm particularly envious of that halibut with rock salt (now I have a gripping need to go back). Don't suppose you could recall what the other plates were?

The sauce for the halibut cheeks looks so viscous. What did it taste like? And what was in the Golden Roll? Thanks for the pictures.  :smile:

I couldn't place the sauce. There was a slight fish and chicken undertone to it, but I spent most of the time trying to figure out how it was thickened (rice starch?). The halibut itself is coated in rice crackers.

I had an almost identical dish last time I was there (just different shrooms), and Tojo said the coating was toasted millet, not rice crackers. But it did taste rice-y.

It's an amazing dish, the most memorable of all the plates we had that night. I couldn't figure out the sauce either.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

There's 5 more that I could think of:

1. geoduck temaki (didn't know geoduck was really crunchy - in a spicy sauce)

2. fried crab (?) ball with sauce - it wasn't explained to me when served

3. thinly sliced sashimi (about 6-8 pieces) - no mention of what it was

4. sweet prawn nigiri

5. mackerel nigiri - more fish than rice - just how I like it

I assumed the cucumber wrapped roll was the northern lights roll. Any other place it would be the same roll day in and day out, but not Tojo's.

Note: the "halibut" coated in toasted millet/rice crackers/rice balls was probably flounder. Probably a version of the halibut cheeks.

IMHO the accolades about Tojo's are overrated. Just a different strokes for different folks disclaimer. My wife and I ate there about 5 years ago when we we're just visitors from another land. At time we we're seriously under-whelmed with the hype compared to the reality. After we moved to Vancouver we decided to try it again, embarrassingly forgetting we had already eaten there. (3-4 restaurants a week for 3 years it's understandable) We had the tasting menu and arrived at the very same conclusion as before. We have had Japanese cuisine at IMO far superior restaurants than Tojo at a fraction of the price.

Nothing wrong with peoples opinions of greatness, but every time I see the gushing about this place I always scratch my head.

We have been Tojo fans for many years. We believe that he is the most talented chef in Vancouver; our opinion has been bolstered by our last visit when neither Lumiere or any other chef could compete with this most talented Japanese trained Vancouver talent. We will return to him again and again. Unfortunately we are based in Chicago; so Tojo is not our neighborhood destination. We will return as often as possible. He is a culinary treasure. Judith Gebhart

Curious to know what other restaurants did you try out in Vancouver--besides Tojo's and Lumiere, Judith.

Next time you're in town you might enjoy the refreshingly casual Octopus's Garden on Cornwall: Sado is amusing but very skilled and proof that angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.

Cheers,

Jamie

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

We had the tasting menu and arrived at the very same conclusion as before.  We have had Japanese cuisine at IMO far superior restaurants than Tojo at a fraction of the price. 

You've piqued my curiousity: where have you eaten?

The two most notable Japanese places we've been to are Toshi's at 16th and Main and Bistro Sakana on Hamilton. As it is not to often we return to the same place twice just because of the plethora of places to try, these places got my attention immediately and have held it. A close runner up would be En on S. Granville. But since this is a Tojo's thread I'll not digress too much.

The two most notable Japanese places we've been to are Toshi's at 16th and Main and Bistro Sakana on Hamilton.  As it is not to often we return to the same place twice just because of the plethora of places to try, these places got my attention immediately and have held it.  A close runner up would be En on S. Granville.  But since this is a Tojo's thread I'll not digress too much.

I'll try at least one of these places on the next run into YVR. The comparison should be interesting, but only if they're also willing to do omakase.

Toshi's will most certainly do an omakase dinner, in fact, one of my first meals there, there was a group beside me at the bar that was enjoying a meal like that. I was little envious of some of the dishes coming out of the kitchen too. Be forewarned, Toshi's is very very small and very very busy!! But soooo worth it.

I'll try at least one of these places on the next run into YVR. The comparison should be interesting, but only if they're also willing to do omakase.

I have been going to Octopus' Garden for years now and had never tried their omakase menu until last week. Why did I wait??? Sada-san (it's not Sado) and crew's creations will please you and they are also willing to work around any dietary restricitons you may have (luckily I don't have any). No pics again as I keep forgetting I have a new digital camera, but the dishes were very photogenic. It may be more expensive than other Japanese restaurants, I'm not sure, but take note.

Haven't been to Tojo's recently, but 2 years ago, we took our friend visiting from Japan there and the only item he didn't like was the spicey tuna sushi. Bear in mind, it's not often he would complain about anything other than the hours he has to work. I liked Tojo's food, but I prefer the atmosphere at Octopus' Garden.

Toshi's I highly recommend as well. Went there when it first opened so service was a bit slow (I don't think they were expecting crowds right from the start), but haven't been there recently because of the lineups.

If it helps my recommendations, I'm married to a Japanese man with a very sensitive tongue.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

Tonight on "Business Traveller" (CNN) they David Suzuki gave a shout out to Tojo's as the place to eat while in Vancouver during a segment - 2 hours in Vancouver.

The view from the patio looks nice but I couldnt imagine having sushi on a patio. :huh:

"Thy food shall be thy medicine" -Hippocrates

• 1 month later...

Madhur Jaffrey chose Tojo's as her favourite restaurant in yesterdays Independent on Sunday Compact Traveller supplement (published in the UK), saying that "the food is incredible." Elsewhere in the same issue, some bloke by the name of Andy Lynes chose his 10 best restaurants in the world and included West among them.

The two most notable Japanese places we've been to are Toshi's at 16th and Main and Bistro Sakana on Hamilton.  As it is not to often we return to the same place twice just because of the plethora of places to try, these places got my attention immediately and have held it.  A close runner up would be En on S. Granville.  But since this is a Tojo's thread I'll not digress too much.

You are not alone PaoPao. My fiancee and I were also underwhelmed with Tojo's. Perhaps it's just not "our thing". Coincidentally I was blown away by Toshi's. Not because I'm claiming he's a surperior chef or anything but because it was such a refreshing change from many restaurantes I've eaten at.

Sweet miso eggplant? Oh my god. For $3.50. Someone get me 5.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Hey fud,

We're fortunate to have a lot of good to great Japanese restaurants in Vancouver so there's something for everybody, yes? With specific regards to Tojos, the only time I personally was underimpressed was once when I neglected to make reservations and ended up in a shitty booth near the windows where everyone seemed to be more interested in being seen that in the food. Subsequently eating numerous occassions either at the 'Sushi Bar' or in one of the tatami rooms the food has been ...well worth every penny. Whenever I've left my stomach is saying 'no more please' while my taste buds are saying 'more, more more damn it'. I seem to recall someone from another thread that ended up going to Macdonalds after Tojos so perhpas on some visit(s) to Tojo's there was an imbalance between wants and what the restaurant had to offer. Tojo's is pricy so if you're not into the food.....

Edited, no offence meant. Should have dome my Due diligence before hitting post.

Edited by Tete Carre (log)

...Not sure if was you or Ling on another thread that ended up going to Macdonalds after Tojos but perhaps on your visit(s) to Tojo's  there was an imbalance between what you wanted and what the restaurant had to offer.  Tojo's is pricy so if you're not into the food.....

Not to speak for fud - but I am one of those not really impressed with Tojo's - but to be fair, I have usually ordered off the menu instead of letting Tojo take care of things.

Perhaps the experience is different when you fully leave yourself in his hands. However, the priciness makes me reluctant to roll the dice over again.

Not sure if was you or Ling on another thread that ended up going to Macdonalds after Tojos but perhaps on your visit(s) to Tojo's  there was an imbalance between what you wanted and what the restaurant had to offer.

Oh god, please don't start a rumour. I don't eat at McDonald's. :laugh: It was my friend who had spent $200 at Tojo's, and left feeling hungry at a birthday party. (I guess in this instance, he might have felt awkward if he had continued to order food when everyone else was full.) There wasn't much open after midnight, so yes, he did go to McDonald's.

^ Hi Tete Carre,

Totally agree! And we are all entitled to our opinions right? Thats what makes this a food forum! Value is a very hard thing to gauge since there's no right answer. Each person has their own valuation judgements. So I guess what I am saying is that Tojo's doesn't do it for me. And apparently it doesn't do it for others. Hey you can't have a restaurant that pleases everyone right?

It is nice to hear different angles on the same place.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Toshi's will most certainly do an omakase dinner, in fact, one of my first meals there, there was a group beside me at the bar that was enjoying a meal like that.  I was little envious of some of the dishes coming out of the kitchen too.  Be forewarned, Toshi's is very very small and very very busy!!  But soooo worth it.

I'm not sure if this is quite true anymore, as I was there several weeks ago, and was told Chef Toshi doesn't have the time to prepare an omakase dinner given the fact that business is so busy. Perhaps if you call well in advance, he may consider it.

• 3 months later...

This Valentine's Day, my wife decided to take the reins, surprising me with her restaurant selection. We wound up at Tojo's, a place we used to frequent on a regular basis until an off-putting incident nearly two years (Well, if you insist on asking, our group was forced to wait an hour for a table - this despite the fact that we had reservations). Anyways, always one to let bygones be bygones (Just kidding. I'm one of the most bitter grudge-holders you'd ever have the displeasure to cross), we arrived right on time for our 6:30 p.m. reservation. As my wife repeated her name, I peeked over our host's shoulder and noticed that neither her name nor our number was listed in the reservation book. My wife, thankfully so far as my blood pressure is concerned, had the foresight to print up the email confirmation she had received. The host looked it over, nodded, and we were handed a number, "#4", and took a seat.

As it turns out, it wasn't much of a wait and we were seated in a nice, romantic little tatami room for two. We perused the menu and ultimately decided to let Tojo decide for us, opting for the omakase.

The first course was the tuna tataki - nice, meaty slices of tuna, lightly seared, served with green onions and a ponzu sauce. It was good, but given the choice, I would have preferred the signature Tojo's tuna.

The second course was uni sashimi. Now, way back when I was in Montreal, and a sushi neophyte, the look of uni had never appealed to me. I remember my writing partner taking the plunge one evening, popping the piece of uni sushi into his mouth, rolling the flavors around. "Well?"I asked. "What does it taste like?" "Redolent of the sea,"he replied, then adding - "near an open sewer main". As a result, I'd never dared try it until last year when I screwed up the courage and allowed a waitress at Kamei Royale talk me into an order. To be exact, what I ordered wasn't the usual uni sushi you'd find at most any Japanese restaurant, but the live uni sashimi. There is a world of difference between the two. The fresh uni has a wonderfully creamy texture and possesses an engaging sweetness. In the case of the Tojo's uni, it was as fresh and sweet and creamy as the best uni I've had.

The third course was a fried prawn dish served with a wasabi-based sauce. Excellent.

The fourth course was one of the evening's specials: smoked sablefish served in a matsutake broth, the smokiness of the fish marrying beautifully with the meaty mushrooms. My wife's favorite dish of the night.

The fifth course was a selection of Tojo's signature sushi. It was good but, to be perfectly honest, not outstanding. The only signature roll I think he does better than anyone else is his Spider Roll which, alas, was conspicuously absent from the night's assortment.

The sixth course was a delicious spicy shrimp tempura handroll.

And, finally, our final course, dessert: a strawberry mousse cup topped with strawberry ice cream. Now, anyone who knows me is well aware of my aversion to fruit-based desserts. Ironically, even though I didn't have the dessert, it still left a bad taste in my mouth.

Our bill came out to just a little under $300 (including the $22 bottle of Momokawa Pearl sake we enjoyed with our meal) not including tip.

Edited by LordBalthazar (log)

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

Hey LB, my husband and I with another couple spent Valentine's Day at Tojo's as well! Our reservation was for 5:30 and we were sitting in the booth right by the front entrance. Even though they were so busy, they still tried to fit in some walk-ins. But I did see a couple of annoyed looking people when they arrived and their table was not ready.

We had the $110 per person Omakase dinner. We started with the Red (ahi) & White (albacore) Tuna ball in green onion ponzu sauce. It was an interesting concept, but the ball was too big (size of a tennis ball), the flavour soon became a little monotonous.

The second course was the organic shiitake mushroom stuffed with white fish paste, lightly deep fried and served with bonito flavoured sauce. Yummy!

The third course was the excellent tiger prawn dish with the sweet wasabi sauce.

The fourth course was the Suntan Tuna - tuna tataki in light tempura batter and served with a small dollop of plum sauce in ponzu. Quite good, but somehow I was hoping for something more interesting/adventurous than "tuna".

The fifth course was the smoked sable fish in matsutake broth. It was heavenly!

Our sushi selection consisted of Live ama-ebi, Tuna (again) Belly, spicy Tuna (again) roll, scallops and our handroll was spicy geoduck.

We also had the strawberry mouse - it was light and provided a good finish. The dinner came to $300 per couple (we also had Japanese beer). I thought the food was very good, but I am not sure if the meal was really worth $300.