• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tojo's

col klink

Moreover, we were told by friends to buy Tojo a beer if we wanted an even better experience. I have no idea if it works every time, but we bought him a beer after our fourth course. After that, we received totally different dishes from the people next to us who had sat down at the same time and had received the same first four. Ours were more interesting, including a dozen japanese raw oysters in this amazingly light sauce that had those people salavating. Our last course, the big finale, was four huge pieces of bluefin tuno toro with scallion. Each one was hanging over the rice like a big hamburger pattie. Simple and incredible.

Aha, that's the key -- buy him some hootch!

Here's a quetion about wine etiquette. My friend and I recently went to Wabi Sabi (everything was fantastic). He ordered us a bottle of wine. When our server brought it to us she poured him a taste. once he accepted the wine she proceeded to fill his glass first and then mine. I'm not super stuffy about pouring etiquette but it prompted some theories. We thought perhaps it was just a small mistake having to do with unfamiliarity with wine service or maybe having to do with more sake drinking than wine in Japan. We even thought it might have to do with the Geisha traditions of serving the men first (I'm a girl)... Then the other night we went to Yoshi and the same thing occurred when I ordered the wine, she poured me a taste then filled my glass before my friends. Just curious if there is something to this or if it is just a strnge coincidence. If anyone has any insight please let me know.

Thanks!

• 11 months later...

Tojo's appears alongside the likes of Per Se and Gordon Ramsay Royal Hospital Road in the Arcarnus Hot 100 list of must-see destinations, hip designers, sure-thing trends, media movers and exciting events for the year 2005.

Arcarnus offers a lifestyle management service covering luxury travel, leisure, and hospitality needs to a client list that includes celebrities, royalty, sports figures and numerous Fortune 500 CEOs.

• 4 weeks later...

We are from Chicago and visit Vancouver, Seattle and Vancouver Island once per year. We are ecstatic about the quality, variety of both seafood, shellfish, fish and all the great vegatables and fruits available in your environs. We post on the the eGullet European section: Spain and France. We want to know how many of you have tasted Tojo's supremely creative cuisine? He ranks IMO with Australia's finest, Japanese chef Tetsuya Wakuda. Does anyone have an opinion? Rob Feenie is good. We loved Rain City Grill but Tojo is king. I would love to hear your views. Judith Gebhart

Well, I really think you need to move this thread to "Canada, Vancouver, British Columbia, and Western Canada" or include some PNW & A specific information. But, to answer your question, I haven't been so fortunate, so I don't have an opinion on Tojo.

And so say all of us, Judith!!

He was one of the original sushi chefs in Vancouver, and has developed a widespread following in the many (about 20 I think) years he's been plying his art. He put the fu...n in fusion, long before it was vogue, or even being described as such. Chanterelles with black cod, venison with enoki and mirin; the man's repertoire is endless, and he has a charm with his guests that doesn't seem at all jaded, given his longevity. His restaurant was one of the first we visited where one could say "feed me" with absolute confidence, and never be disappointed.

There are few things in this world worth more than knowing your next visit is going to be as successful and enjoyable as your last, and to this end, Tojo is as golden as his roll!

"Venite omnes qui stomacho laboratis et ego restaurabo vos"

I have been a cook and sometime chef for over twenty years, for any entity or person to last twenty years is a feat upon to itself. Tojo started I belive at Jinya, 587 broadway back in 1974, I do not know many Vancouver Chefs that are still around after all that time, for me that alone leaves him in high regards in my eyes.

They are either burnt out, broke, or just plain gone. There is but a handfull of food wariors that can cook at that level in Vancouver.

Go Tojo!!

chef steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

Just ate at Tojo's last night. We had the $100 version of the Omakase (Chefs selected menu), Beef Sashimi, Assorted Sushi, 3 different rolls, and of course Sake. While probably not the typical diners in what we ordered, after tax and tip we left there paying about $300 for the two of us.

Was it good, yes. Was it better IMO than Samurai on Davie for 10% of the price? No way. Had to try it though .......

Tojo started I belive at Jinya, 587 broadway back in 1974,

The first time I ate at Jinya was in 1978 so 1974 sounds about right. It had a tiny little sushi bar in the back that maybe had five stools. You literally rubbed elbows with the person next to you it was that small.

He then moved and ran the sushi bar at the Soft Rock Cafe on 4th Avenue when it opened around 1986(?). He stayed a couple of years and then opened Tojo's in its current location on Broadway in 1988.

Someone left the cake out in the rain ...

Can you name a chef who has been around as long; ( john bishop, Umberto?)

steve

Francesco Alongi and Erwin Doebeli (but I'm not really sure he started out as a chef).

Francesco Alongi and Erwin Doebeli (but I'm not really sure he started out as a chef).

Who are they with???

Francesco Alongi currently runs Don Francesco on Burrard Street right across from the Sutton Hotel. He started Francesco Alongi's on Richards Street in 1975.

I'm not sure either of them are chefs. More front of the room guys.

True. Both of them are certainly not working chefs today but they might have started off as chefs. I was more answering that they're still in Vancouver working in the restaurant trade and have not gone away.

Even though Umberto is a chef by trade, I doubt he's putting in a full shift in any of his local kitchens.

We are from Chicago and visit Vancouver, Seattle and Vancouver Island once per year. We are ecstatic about the quality, variety of both seafood, shellfish, fish and all the great vegatables and fruits available in your environs. We post on the the eGullet European section: Spain and France. We want to know how many of you have tasted Tojo's supremely creative cuisine? He ranks IMO with Australia's finest, Japanese chef Tetsuya Wakuda. Does anyone have an opinion? Rob Feenie is good. We loved Rain City Grill but Tojo is king. I would love to hear your views. Judith Gebhart

• 7 months later...

After three days Vancouver dining highlighted by the Feenie’s crab maki happy face, A&W (my Teen Burger was nicely assembled and complemented the diet root beer :biggrin: ) and the delights of the Vancouver General Hospital cafeteria, it was time to turn things around. Lumière – gun-shy after Feenie’s. West – full. Tojo’s – space available for omakase. Woo!

Once I finished my afternoon of watching little plastic pots be filled, I parked my POS rental Impala at the Holiday Inn and headed up to the second floor. I had never eaten there before because Tojo’s was either fully booked or closed during previous trips to YVR. However, it’s definitely the experience.

Loud boisterous greeting reminiscent of the noodle bar scene from Tampopo. I was very cordially (and formally) welcomed by the maitresse d’hotel and brought to sit at the middle of the sushi bar. Tojo Hidekazu is very friendly but I thought it was interesting he still has to tell clientele that everything is made at the premises and without MSG. Made me wonder what kind of troglodytes would be sitting beside me during the evening, but I put that aside and settled in.

Marinated tuna sashimi.

gallery_10423_1716_2123.jpg

Organic shiitake mushroom with scallop.

gallery_10423_1716_57329.jpg

Smoked sablefish en papillote.

gallery_10423_1716_11987.jpg

gallery_10423_1716_63779.jpg

Chuutoro nigiri (2 pieces).

gallery_10423_1716_18890.jpg

Golden Roll (3 pieces).

gallery_10423_1716_25258.jpg

Unagi suinomono (I kick myself for taking a blurred photo).

gallery_10423_1716_4595.jpg

Hamachi and tai nigiri.

gallery_10423_1716_67870.jpg

Halibut cheek and chanterelles.

gallery_10423_1716_72478.jpg

A "palate cleanser".

gallery_10423_1716_40486.jpg

Certainly the best two hours I've ever spent in YVR - you Vancouverites are lucky that he's so accessible to you.

The sauce for the halibut cheeks looks so viscous. What did it taste like? And what was in the Golden Roll? Thanks for the pictures.  :smile:

I couldn't place the sauce. There was a slight fish and chicken undertone to it, but I spent most of the time trying to figure out how it was thickened (rice starch?). The halibut itself is coated in rice crackers.

The Golden Roll is raw prawn, scallop and squid wrapped in a thin egg sheet (uniformly yellow, no brown bits) and topped with tobiko. A variant of it (crab, salmon, scallop, prawns) is available on Tojo's standard menu.

Must stop drooling now.

I couldn't place the sauce. There was a slight fish and chicken undertone to it, but I spent most of the time trying to figure out how it was thickened (rice starch?). The halibut itself is coated in rice crackers.

The Golden Roll is raw prawn, scallop and squid wrapped in a thin egg sheet (uniformly yellow, no brown bits) and topped with tobiko. A variant of it (crab, salmon, scallop, prawns) is available on Tojo's standard menu.

Must stop drooling now.

You don't think the sauce was thickened with corn starch? I have no idea how rice starch tastes in a sauce.

Raw prawn, scallop and ika....I'm imagining how sweet the seafood must have tasted, and the textures! :wub:

You don't think the sauce was thickened with corn starch? I have no idea how rice starch tastes in a sauce.

Could be corn starch (my original thought), but then I started wondering about arrowroot, potato and rice as thickeners. I'm wondering if it's not something like a glace made with chicken and thickened further with a starch.

I did ask what it was, and the answer I received was "secret sauce".

After three days Vancouver dining highlighted by the Feenie’s crab maki happy face, A&W (my Teen Burger was nicely assembled and complemented the diet root beer  :biggrin: ) and the delights of the Vancouver General Hospital cafeteria, it was time to turn things around. Lumière – gun-shy after Feenie’s. West – full. Tojo’s – space available for omakase. Woo!

Once I finished my afternoon of watching little plastic pots be filled, I parked my POS rental Impala at the Holiday Inn and headed up to the second floor. I had never eaten there before because Tojo’s was either fully booked or closed during previous trips to YVR. However, it’s definitely the experience.

Loud boisterous greeting reminiscent of the noodle bar scene from Tampopo. I was very cordially (and formally) welcomed by the maitresse d’hotel and brought to sit at the middle of the sushi bar. Tojo Hidekazu is very friendly but I thought it was interesting he still has to tell clientele that everything is made at the premises and without MSG. Made me wonder what kind of troglodytes would be sitting beside me during the evening, but I put that aside and settled in.

Marinated tuna sashimi.

gallery_10423_1716_2123.jpg

Organic shiitake mushroom with scallop.

gallery_10423_1716_57329.jpg

Smoked sablefish en papillote.

gallery_10423_1716_11987.jpg

gallery_10423_1716_63779.jpg

Chuutoro nigiri (2 pieces).

gallery_10423_1716_18890.jpg

Golden Roll (3 pieces).

gallery_10423_1716_25258.jpg

Unagi suinomono (I kick myself for taking a blurred photo).

gallery_10423_1716_4595.jpg

Hamachi and tai nigiri.

gallery_10423_1716_67870.jpg

Halibut cheek and chanterelles.

gallery_10423_1716_72478.jpg

A "palate cleanser".

gallery_10423_1716_40486.jpg

Certainly the best two hours I've ever spent in YVR - you Vancouverites are lucky that he's so accessible to you.

We have been Tojo fans for many years. We believe that he is the most talented chef in Vancouver; our opinion has been bolstered by our last visit when neither Lumiere or any other chef could compete with this most talented Japanese trained Vancouver talent. We will return to him again and again. Unfortunately we are based in Chicago; so Tojo is not our neighborhood destination. We will return as often as possible. He is a culinary treasure. Judith Gebhart