• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Industrial Heat Guns & Blowers

nathanm

Industrial heat guns are basically overpowered electric hair dryers. They pour out hot air at between 90F to 1200F depending on the model. They are used for things like stripping paint off wood, and other times you want very hot air, without having a flame.

I've used them for cooking applications, and I am sure that other people have too. I think that it would interesting to compare notes on what they are useful for in the kitchen.

Blowtorches are obviously similar, but they are much hotter (3000F typically) and this poses some problems that heat guns solve.

Nathan

I used one for shrink wrapping gift baskets...we wont discuss what those burns look like

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I know Grant Achatz was using one for a while to create a dish he actually shelved without ever serving at Alinea. You can read about the details here.

I'm not sure if he's still using one or not.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

• 3 weeks later...
I am giving serious thought to also using mine to sear a steak.  Has anyone tried this?

If you cook a steak via some other means you can use a heat gun to improve the browning of the crust. I've done this, but it is pretty inefficient - it takes a while and you need to hold the heat gun.

Nathan

I am giving serious thought to also using mine to sear a steak.  Has anyone tried this?

If you cook a steak via some other means you can use a heat gun to improve the browning of the crust. I've done this, but it is pretty inefficient - it takes a while and you need to hold the heat gun.

didn´t work for me as well....maybe a "Laser" next time.