• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking and Rock Music

Hi Anthony,

Do you see any congruence between cooking and rock music?  The two seem to intersect at least conceptually in KC and CT, unless, in my quest for relevancy, I'm reading too much in there.  Could happen.

The nuts-and-bolts Les Halles cookbook you describe in the Cookbook topic sounds beyond fantastic.  I'm imagining, I'm hoping for, an elaboration of the short list in KC about how to restaurantify one's home cookery, which included e.g. not stinting on the use of butter, and the importance of shallots.

Priscilla

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Joey and Dee Dee--within a few months. It's horrible.

Rock and roll in the kitchen? Sure. Necessary for prep--and post-work break-down. You'll notice a lot of overlap in the personnel between rock and rollers and cooks. I do have a few rules, though--when it comes to kitchen listening:

NO Billy Joel

NO Elton John

NO Dave Matthews, Phish, Grateful Dead or hippie shit...

Fans of the Dead Boys, Curtis Mayfield, Bootsie Collins, Parlaiment, Ramones, Snoop, Clash, Voidoids, Johnny Thunders, Hole, Chili Peppers, Modern Lovers, Cramps, Elvis Costello, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jimi, Stooges, early pre-punk, Mersey Beat, NY or London Punk, pre-disco funk, early Roxy (okay, I'm a sap), Jorge Ben, Gato Barbieri, the Apocalypse Now or Reservoir Dogs or any Sergio Leone soundtrack and the Pistols song, Bodies-will enjoy favored nation status and rapid promotion. Soca salsa, mariachi, tropicale, reggae, zouk, dub, dance-hall all welcome.

Fans of Billy Joel will be terminated immediately.

abourdain

I have always enjoyed your sublime sensibilities when it comes to musical stylings in the kitchen.Had the cool fortune to have cooked for Bowie, NIN, Stones, Iggy...Best part was playing their music REALLY LOUD while we were cooking for them- seemed to make the food taste better.

R.I.P. Dee Dee - we'll miss you...

And don't you think a raft of B.J. fans is too good?

How about turning them into charcoal for use in BBQing a big ole pig...

Your Fan,

Monkeymay

We need to find courage, overcome

Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction