• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brazilian Cookbooks

GordonD

I'm seeing somebody who is big into Brazilian jazz and folk music, so I thought maybe it was time to add Brazilian food to my cooking repertoire.

I'm interested in something informative about the cuisine in general. Is there a Brazilian equivalent to Madhur Jaffrey?

I'm seeing somebody who is big into Brazilian jazz and folk music, so I thought maybe it was time to add Brazilian food to my cooking repertoire.

I'm interested in something informative about the cuisine in general. Is there a Brazilian equivalent to Madhur Jaffrey?

I've heard good things about Maria Brazil.

Christopher Idone has a pretty decent grasp of Brasilian cooking. His "Brazil, a Cook's Tour" has some interesting recipes. There's a niche to be filled by whoever is enterprising enough to put out a good cookbook. As a Brazilian, I'd recommend the Time-Life series book dealing specifically with Latin America. There are some very good Brasilian recipes in it.

• 2 years later...

In about three weeks I'll be moving to Rio de Janeiro for about a year. After living in the Bay Area most of my life, I'll be leaving our mediterranean climate for the tropics, and I need to learn how to cook with a whole new set of ingredients and pantry staples.

I'm an experienced home cook, but my cooking really relies on the amazing fresh produce and meat that's available here in the Bay Area; also, my pantry is typically stocked with high-quality imported olive oil, anchovies, wine vinegars, whole spices, plus a lot of asian cooking staples like oyster sauce, fish sauce, curry pastes, tamarind pulp, palm sugar, etc. I imagine that I could find most of this stuff in Rio if I really searched, but it would probably be pretty pricey.

I'd love to learn to cook great, interesting food using the local bounty in Rio. Where do I start? Can anyone recommend a good Brazilian cookbook or website that will help kick-start my inspiration for cooking with the palette of flavors available in Brazil?

By the way, I speak portuguese, so a portuguese-language cookbook would be okay, although I'd probably have to learn a lot of cooking jargon.

'Brigado!

• 4 weeks later...

i second the recommendation made earlier about alex atalas cook book, 'Por uma gastronomia Brasieira'.

i don't think its currently available on amazon but you can buy it from his website at domrestaurant.com.br, but it is in portugese.