• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jazzi Wok (fka Funky Broome)

irongut

Just had dinner with the family at Funky Broome. We had a good meal but the portions always seem to be a bit undersized there. We had : salt & pepper fried squid, jellyfish, braised tofu, crispy chicken that wasn't so crispy, sizzling plate of beef fillet w. pepper, sweet & sour sea bass, stir fried conch & squid, scallops & winter melon in XO sauce , & stir fried spinach with shrimp paste, & some stir fried sticky rice (law my faan) for my little nephews. All in all, a pretty tasty meal. I haven't been there in a while so it was nice revisiting it again. The wait staff were real accomodating considering we had a group of 10. Seating always seemed a bit cramped in there when the house is full. Then again it's C town at its best.

Incidently, I wasn't aware that Congee Village had a second branch on the bowery named "Congee Bowery" .

I've been disappointed in recent visits to Funky Broome. It definitely seemed to have changed hands some time ago. Am I wrong about that? I will have to give it another try.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 1 month later...
I've been disappointed in recent visits to Funky Broome. It definitely seemed to have changed hands some time ago. Am I wrong about that? I will have to give it another try.

I guess it's formerly known as funky broome. Just passed by yesterday and it's now called Jazzi Wok.

• 3 months later...

I wasn't all that impressed by a few visits to Jazzi Wok either.

Congee Bowery Restaurant & Bar at 207 Bowery, on the east side of the Bowery between Prince and Spring, is fairly new and associated with Congee Village on Allen Street. At least I'd assume they were associated since their busine card lists Congee Village on one side and Congee Bowery on the other. This place absolutely escaped my notice until the other day when a neighbor pointed it out to me. I don't know how long it's been there. The waitress said a couple of months and my friend thought it was longer than that. It could be that this is the restaurant to which irongut is referring. I assume there's no connection to Congee further south on the west side of the Bowery.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I believe Pan was confusing this with Congee, which is further south on the Bowery. Congee Bowery has the same logo and owners as Congee Village.

Agreed. I was confused because I had not yet seen Congee Bowery. It's north of Delancey and its entire appearance makes it obvious that it's a branch of Congee Village.

Michael aka "Pan"