• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Keeping Green Plantains Green

chezcherie

i'm trying some recipes from the "three guys from miami cook cuban" cookbook. got my hands on some green plantains for tostones, and i'd like to make them again on tuesday. will these plantains ripen too much in 4 days to be right for tostones? should i refrigerate them, or would that be exactly the wrong thing to do? (the place i got them is not very close to home, and after the holiday weekend, i'm not sure they would have more on tuesday, so i am trying to make do with these. )

thanks for your help---the garlic chicken aroma is killing me, and the tres leches cake is so fluffy and just oozing dairy goodness!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

i'm trying some recipes from the "three guys from miami cook cuban" cookbook. got my hands on some green plantains for tostones, and i'd like to make them again on tuesday. will these plantains ripen too much in 4 days to be right for tostones? should i refrigerate them, or would that be exactly the wrong thing to do? (the place i got them is not very close to home, and after the holiday weekend, i'm not sure they would have more on tuesday, so i am trying to make do with these. )

thanks for your help---the garlic chicken aroma is killing me, and the tres leches cake is so fluffy and just oozing dairy goodness!

Refer time.

Living hard will take its toll...

Ah, I love the Three Guys From Miami.  I'm not an expert, but in our experience, plantains don't change much in a few days.

WHT, what is it you meant by "Refer time"?

Fruit of this type kept cold will not ripen. I would keep them under 50 degrees F. in the ‘fridge. shoulkd I edit it to be reefer in the previous post?

Living hard will take its toll...

got it. thanks. was just afraid that the cold would turn the starch to sugar (like with potatoes) and i'd end up with sweet plantains (for maduros) when i want starchy (for tostones). i appreciate the help.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

WHT's right on the money about putting them in the refrigerator, although I should add that I was puzzled by his first post as well. Once upon a time, "reefer time" had an entirely different meaning for me. :smile:

--

WHT's right on the money about putting them in the refrigerator, although I should add that I was puzzled by his first post as well.  Once upon a time, "reefer time" had an entirely different meaning for me. :smile:

Me too... I didn't think I would ask any more questions or else it might be too much information. :smile:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.