• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Korean malt powder?

At the Asian store we frequent, which has a Korean tilt, we picked up a package of something called "malt powder." My husband's a homebrewer, so I know what malt is and I know what it looks like. Well, this stuff isn't like any malt I've ever seen before: rather than a uniform powder (or even stuff that's recognizable as sprouted grain), it looks like quick-cooking oatmeal. The sole ingredient listed is barley.

Any clue what this is, and how it might relate to common beer-brewing malts? My thought was to use it when I bake bread.

I'll post a pic of the package, if you think that will help. There's writing in Korean, but I can't read it.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

It's used for sik hye, a sweet non-alcohloic drink with rice in it.

It's also used for Mak-kul-le and other boozy drinks.

I'd have to see the package though.

My aunt make the greatest sik hye on the planet but she has so far not provided the recipe. She will make as much as I can take (they live in NJ) but no recipe or lessons so far.

I did not know how Mak-kul-le was made with malt power.

Ahh.... We just got back from Sun and Moon Restaurant in East Providence RI, and with our dolshot bibimbap, dumplings, and seafood pancake we had shikhye. Click here for a remarkably great thread on making it from melonpan.

At the end of our meal tonight, we had small hard candies, which I think were also made of rice and malt.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 4 months later...

I'll try to remember to take a picture of my bag and add it to this thread so you know something that's not barley malt powder. :biggrin:

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

So if one was to ask in a Korean grocery store for barley malt powder

How should I say it or write it in Korean Hangul?

Thanks

theres a clear picture of the korean for barley malt powder in the <a href="http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=51168">shikhye thread</a>. plus pronounciation guide.

but if the korean grocers speak decent enough english, they should be able to help you from just "barley malt powder".

good luck!

"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

• 5 months later...

Another use for malt powder is in pat bing su - the Korean version of ais kacang, halu-halo, shaved ice, etc. Gives it an extra nutty flavor. Which reminds me.... I hafta dust off my bingsuji - little plastic ice grinder which pulverizes ice to proper patbingsu consistency. Now that its getting hotter....

Hmmm... relooking at the original message, I see your powder is "like quick-cooking oatmeal." The Korean malt powder I use is an actual powder.

--phage

Gac

Another use for malt powder is in pat bing su - the Korean version of ais kacang, halu-halo, shaved ice, etc.    Gives it an extra nutty flavor.  Which reminds me.... I hafta dust off my bingsuji - little plastic ice grinder which pulverizes ice to proper patbingsu consistency.  Now that its getting hotter....
do not confuse malt powder with "misutgaru".

two different things used for different purposes

"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo