• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Female chefs in Paris, France and beyond

cindym

Pic in Valence was just heralded on the France2 News as the only 3-star female chef in France. This restaurant has been going for several generations, and Anne-Sophie took over for her father and grandfather a few years ago (she's only 37) and got the venerable award, the first woman since 1968 to get the 3 stars.

Michelin sexist? Hmmmm....

Pic in Valence was just heralded on the France2 News as the only 3-star female chef in France.  This restaurant has been going for several generations, and Anne-Sophie took over for her father and grandfather a few years ago (she's only 37) and got the venerable award, the first woman since 1968 to get the 3 stars. 

Michelin sexist?  Hmmmm....

There's a whole thread running now on the Michelin rankings and Pic etc.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 2 weeks later...
The greatest woman chef I've ever met never got the fame she deserved: Marie Naël, from the now disappeared restaurant Écaille et Plume, in Paris (7e). Now she gives cooking classes.

(There are quite a few names missing from Pudlo's list.)

I second that! What a memorable meal I had one early spring evening several years ago chez Marie Nael.

I'll also add that down here in the SW, Maria-Claude Gracia- who WAS La Belle Gasconne in Poudenas- was the god-mother to many a starred chef. After she retired and closed the Moulin, I wept. Who is there to prepare Joue de Boeuf en chemise, le Civet de canard avec le vieux vin de M. Kauffer, or a flawless foie gras en terrine that was always passed a second time around the table?

The greatest woman chef I've ever met never got the fame she deserved: Marie Naël, from the now disappeared restaurant Écaille et Plume, in Paris (7e). Now she gives cooking classes.

(There are quite a few names missing from Pudlo's list.)

I second that! What a memorable meal I had one early spring evening several years ago chez Marie Nael.

I'll also add that down here in the SW, Maria-Claude Gracia who WAS La Belle Gasconne in Poudenas, was the god-mother to many a starred chef. After retiring, who is there to prepare Joue de Boeuf en chemise, le Civet de canard avec le vieux vin de M. Kauffer, or a flawless foie gras en terrine that was always passed a second time around the table?

• 9 months later...

This from the Oct 29 New York Magazine regarding female chefs in New York and Paris, entitled A Woman’s Place? Precious few women run New York kitchens. We asked seven prominent exceptions to tell us why:

{New York Interviewer}: Professional kitchens are traditionally shamelessly sexist. Is that still true?

AG {Alex Guarnaschelli of Butter)}: I worked in Paris for five years for Guy Savoy. And then one of the chefs was like, “You suck, you’re a girl, I hate you.” All the classic stereotypes. And Guy Savoy was like, “Will you just stop that crap and let her do her job? Let her cook the damn bass.” And then when I burned it, Guy was like, “Ahh!” But he still believed in me.

John Talbott

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

May's FRANCE magazine lists 5 female chefs:

Isabelle Auguy at Grand Hotel Auguy in Lagiuole

Christine Ferber at Maison Ferber in Niedermorschwhir

Reine Sammut at Auberge La Ferniere in Lourmarin

Nathalie Beauvais at Le Jardin Gourmand in Lorient and

Anne-Sophie Pic in Valence.

John Talbott