• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Okay, here's a poser:

Is there anywhere in the Puget Sound area that has goat meat available? I tried exoticmeats.com (off of Route 99) and came up negative. A few calls to local butchers has also left me empty handed.

Any ideas?

-Kate

-----------

My food blog:

Accidental Hedonist - Food, travel and other irrelevent irreverence

Okay, here's a poser:

Is there anywhere in the Puget Sound area that has goat meat available? I tried exoticmeats.com (off of Route 99) and came up negative. A few calls to local butchers has also left me empty handed.

Any ideas?

did you really mean poser? or poster? haha!!

Not sure where to get it but Palace Kitchen has it on their menu frequently, maybe call and ask them who their supplier is?

There are 3 or 4 halal groceries on just north of Hwy 518 on Pac Hwy South and I've seen goat in two of them that I remember. Maybe Col Klink can chime in since I ate smoked goat at his house one time before he moved....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Goat Meat is generally available at many Mexican and Halal Markets.

It is always for sale at both "Ranch 99" Market's at the Great Wall Shopping Center in Kent and at the newer location on Route 99/Aurora in Edmonds.

After you find us, tell us how your prepared your Goat. I generally prepare as a Middle Eastern Stew or Kabobs.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

There's a little grocery store that has goat on the same block as the complex that has Huong Binh and 7 Stars Pepper Szechuan Restaurant, but around the corner on 12th and whatever street is one block south of Jackson. They also have really cheap pork.

Alex

I've seen goat meat frozen at the grocery attached to Savoy on 148th in Redmond, just off 520. I know that Savoy serves goat because it's often in their buffet. I think I've seen it fresh at Viet-Wa on 12th and Jackson as well but I could be mistaken.

-Amir

Okay, here's a poser:

Any ideas?

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

There is a Halal butcher across the street from Than Brothers on Aurora ave around 78th. I have bought many, many pieces of goat from them. They were all tasty and the owners are honorable.

Here is their information:

Continental Spices & Halal Meat

7819 Aurora Ave N

Seattle, WA 98103 - 4753

(206) 706-0326

edit: Or you could look for Halal butcher shops that are closer to you.

There's a little grocery store that has goat on the same block as the complex that has Huong Binh and 7 Stars Pepper Szechuan Restaurant, but around the corner on 12th and whatever street is one block south of Jackson. They also have really cheap pork.

Alex

Found the place, it's on the SW corner of 12th and Jackson. But to say that the meat was unappealing (it was mostly stew meat with a fari amount of tendon and gristle remaining) would be an understatement.

The search continues.

-Kate

-----------

My food blog:

Found the place, it's on the SW corner of 12th and Jackson. But to say that the meat was unappealing (it was mostly stew meat with a fari amount of tendon and gristle remaining) would be an understatement.

The search continues.

There's a bunch of grocerys there. I think the one Dej is thinking of is Hau Hau, at 12th and King (park under the building on King, the 'proper' exit from 7 stars pepper's underground parking is actually to go through Hau Hau's parking lot.)

You probably found the one across the street, in the same plaza as one of the Banh Mi places.

There's a bunch of grocerys there. I think the one Dej is thinking of is Hau Hau, at 12th and King (park under the building on King, the 'proper' exit from 7 stars pepper's underground parking is actually to go through Hau Hau's parking lot.)

You probably found the one across the street, in the same plaza as one of the Banh Mi places.

yes this is exactly right. sorry for the mixup!

I'm not really looking for goat meat, but I will pay good money for goat's milk. If you find a reputable source, please let me know.

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

There is a Halal butcher across the street from Than Brothers on Aurora ave around 78th. I have bought many, many pieces of goat from them. They were all tasty and the owners are honorable.

Here is their information:

Continental Spices & Halal Meat

7819 Aurora Ave N

Seattle,  WA 98103 - 4753

(206) 706-0326

edit: Or you could look for Halal butcher shops that are closer to you.

I was able to find this place and made off with a couple legs of goat meat.. about 2 lbs worth.

For those of you who were curious, I ended up making Goat Braised in Red Wine which you can see at my site. It turned out fairly well, although I did overcook it a little. Still, it was quite tasty.

Many thanks to everyone who responded, with a special shout out to the good Col. :-)

-Kate

-----------

My food blog:

• 11 months later...
Hi,

Does anyone know of a good source to buy goat meat here in Seattle?

Thanks in advance,

w@w

Many asian markets, particularly Vietnamese/SE Asian, regularly have frozen goat meat, at least, though often in fairly random cuts. I live on North Beacon Hill, so see it at Lam's Seafood (around the corner from How How, which also has it). In the past I have seen it at Seattle Super Market (farther south on Beacon ... past the VA). I think it appears at Uwajimaya now and then ..

.. anyway, the short answer is: SE Asian markets!

Good luck ... what you cookin'?

Richard W. Mockler

Seattle

I will, in fact, eat anything once.

Many asian markets, particularly Vietnamese/SE Asian, regularly have frozen goat meat, at least, though often in fairly random cuts. I live on North Beacon Hill, so see it at Lam's Seafood (around the corner from How How, which also has it). In the past I have seen it at Seattle Super Market (farther south on Beacon  ... past the VA). I think it appears at Uwajimaya now and then ..

.. anyway, the short answer is: SE Asian markets!

Good luck ... what you cookin'?

Oh, thanks so much for responding. Btw, I found fresh goat meat at 2 pakistani/indian grocery stores, namely

Continental Spices & Groceries

7819 Aurora Ave. N, on 79th

Seattle WA 98103

206 706 0326

Wholesale halal meat

and

Pakistani-n-Indian Grocery

12325 Roosevelt Way NE

Seattle WA 98125

206 368 7323

Am making Indian mutton curry :)... feel free to invite yourself o'er. :).

-w@w

For large amounts or cheap prices, or both, try Plymouth Poultry. Down south of the stadiums east of Costco. They are a very large wholesaler of a ton of different types of meat, and they can order anything they don't have. They sell to the meat markets and grocery stores around town, but if you show up with cash or check they'll take it. It's great for special occasion stuff. Call ahead.

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Fero's Meats, at Pike Place Market (where Crystal Meats used to be) carries fresh goat meat (I think it's halal too).

Hi,

Does anyone know of a good source to buy goat meat here in Seattle?

Thanks in advance,

w@w

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

• 4 weeks later...