• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Injuries Whilst Eating

I'm sitting here 5 days before root canal treatment wondering if anybody else has inflicted pain upon themselves WHILST eating.

My wonderfully crispy crackling (pork-rind) caused a pre-molar to snap in half :sad:

(I have also previously bitten my own finger very hard whilst eating fries :raz: )

So come on, share your eating accidents - maybe you can help prevent them happening to anyone else :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Cracked a tooth on a thick tortilla chip - resuting in my first crown! Plenty of tongue/cheek bites, rare finger bites.

Recently attempted to smell the aroma of a cup of herbal tea while walking. One of those sippy cup tops from a coffee store. The extremely hot tea water splifted up and out to the underside of my nose, scalding the tip, skin was gone in a couple of minutes.

Aside from the typical biting of the tongue, I once had a crumb from a melba toast jump into my eye as I bit down.  The crumb somehow managed to lode itself between my lower lid and the scant white part under my pupil and I couldn't, try as I might, get it out without it scraping something.  It was one of the most excrutiating experiences I've ever had.  It seemed to take forever for the crumb to moisten enough from my tears to work itself out.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

My wonderfully crispy crackling (pork-rind) caused a pre-molar to snap in half :sad:

I completely empathize. I posted a while back about doing something similar. Breaking a molar in half, vertically. Ow. Actually, the break itself didn't hurt that much, but all the trips to the dentist did, including a very complicated (I'm told - due to upper jaw tooth location) root canal. Several months later I still don't have a crown there, the dentist wanted to wait for a gum infection to completely heal before doing that. I think I'm nearly ready for that procedure.

Of course, I've bitten my tounge and fingers on occasion too.

I've done the opposite, had the shelf of molten cheese on a slice of pizza slide off and singe my lower lip and chin...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

The usual stuff...

Bitten the inside of my cheek while chewing and then it swells up and then it's even more susceptible to getting bitten (ouch!).

Broken a tooth eating a BLT.

Scraped the roof of my mouth on exceptionally crusty french bread sandwich.

A couple of days ago I was on my way to a swanky cocktail party with a mint in my mouth. You know how you feel when you're going to a party alone, and you're not going to know many people, and you're sure most of them are going to be chicer than thou? On entering, for some reason, I swallowed the mint and it lodged sideways in my throat. I could still breath but felt that at any moment my condition could become severe and I'd be a Heimlich spectical. I was really worried. Eventually it melted.

Let that be a lesson to you all!

I hadn't contributed my little mishap because I assumed it was very common and would have been described by others. I was eating a filet of some type of fish, and got too greedy and careless about checking (once the flesh was inside my mouth) for embedded bones. A little bone scrapped itself along a portion of my throat while I was swallowing, but thankfully did not lodge itself there. It wasn't necessarily painful; I just felt it happening and felt the area to be different when I swallowed food for the next little while.  :wink:

Whilst biting down on a very hard pretzel whilst strapped in the seat of a 747 whilst flying to GB for some veddy important business meetings with high level executives of my agency's clients, I succeeded in cracking the right upper front incisor right across diagonally, leaving me with a Dracula like smile (I vant to drink your bloooody mary dear client).  It didn"t hurt but it made me look like a refugee from Green Acres and very self consious to boot.

(I was in GB long enough to learn what whilst means, but I also learned, somewhat embarrasngly, that being caught short there doesn't mean not having enough beer for the guests).

:biggrin:

I was there for two weeks and then came back to bond with my dentist.

i bit wilfrid's lip once.  

Only my lip, thank goodness.  

In addition to the inevitable chewing on the inside of my cheeks, I find my mouth gets razored to a bloody mess by particularly crispy baguettes.  Just me?  Can't resist them, though.

As a child, I walked into a swing just after eating spaghetti bolognaise.  Overcoming the impact I felt like my nose was bleeding.  Oh no, it was my lunch.  I pulled a long strand of spaghetti from my nose, to everyone's horror and disgust.

Pulling spaghetti form one's nose. Reminds me: One day, consort noticed something dangling from Malone's rear end.   Consort pulled (when will this end?) and pulled.  Out came  enough string to make a trawler's net.

Malone was a cat, by the way. And no injury noted.

Those chocolate covered chocolate Riesen's, I chewed on one when it really wasn't soft enough and it took a crown off, and I almost swallowed it.  I couldn't figure out what happened at first.  Then it made me faint.  The dentist replaced the crown the following morning.  It was pretty gross.  I don't eat those things anymore, even though  I really liked them.

• 2 months later...

The first time I went to the Stage Deli -- this was when I was a kid -- I didn't notice that the sandwich was held together with a toothpick through each half. So I opened wide and took a big bite . . .

Also cut myself on an oyster once.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

More of a drinking related injury rather than eating...

while pulling a cork out of a bottle of chablis with a "waiter type" corkscrew, misjudged the exact time that the cork would be leaving the bottle and did not adjust amount of pull used. Hit myself square in the face with the back of my hand, falling backwards and losing half the bottle of wine on me. :wacko: I now leave the uncorking to others, I do what I do best: drink the wine.