• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ice cream in Montreal

Akim C.

Summer in the city - does Macdoherty's still exist? I haven't been back to Mtl in a long time, but I used to love going to Macd's in NdG, getting a cone and then going across the street to the park to eat it.

Though after a few years in Europe, I am now spoiled by gelati - when I was back in Canada on vacation and paid $3.50 for a single scoop of gelati (and a waffle cone costed extra - here, it costs about 75 cents a scoop *including a waffle cone - I was traumatized and decided at that very moment that I would not move back to the east coast and instead would stay in Europe a few years longer...

What is the ice cream scene in Montreal like?

I don't know MacDoherty but Bilboquet is still going strong even though the owners changed. (1311 Bernard)

But if you want the very best in ice cream and sorbet, you must try Le Havre-Aux-Glaces. They're a new addition to the Jean-Talon market. Their Masala chai sorbet is my favorite. The staff and owners are also very nice and useful.

What do you pay these days for a scoop of good ice cream in Montreal? I really wasn't planning to return to live in Montreal, but if good ice cream can be found at the right price, I may consider it...

i suggest adding to your list Meu Meu, on St-Denis, just south of Mount-Royal. the stuff is organic, flavours turn around (so don't get too attached to a favourite) and dance outside the box - a recent example: a combination of chocolate, salt and "argile" (clay?). you're probably thinking... salty ice cream?!? oh yesssss! and it's maybe 2.50$ish per scoop.

the Gazette had a compare and contrast piece on Mtl ice cream this summer, including Meu Meu, Roberto's, Havre aux Glaces and more - you might be able to find it online (and i have to say that i agreed with the 2-star rating for Bilboquet - i found it too uneven (some flavours great, others kind of off, or no better than the supermarket), and seldom worth the wait).

you can find an archived (2003) Mirror article on Mtl ice cream here:

http://www.montrealmirror.com/ARCHIVES/2003/061203/hsg7.html

let me also put in a plug for Coaticook ice cream, which i think in Mtl might be found only in supermarkets like Métro. it's made in the Townships, and it's the only vanilla i'll eat (in a world of chocolate, coffee, caramel, and nuts... why bother? )

Is Ripples the one across the street from Moishes?

Havre Aux Glaces

Bilboquet

Meu Meu

Across the street from Moishes

Kiosk at Botantical Garden

(Standard Ice Cream but for some reason that Pistachio tastes great there.)

Ah...what the company of great plants will do for you....

Another Havre aux Glaces! :smile: Just off Lachine Canal over the Atwater bridge or across the street from Atwater Market, there's a little kiosklike building (with water fountain & public washrooms) that - last year at least - used to sell Premier Moisson sandwiches & the like. It's a great place for cyclists & bladers to rest or have a snack & on a recent visit to the market I noticed that one side of the kiosk had a Havre aux Glaces sign! Does anyone know when it opened under their banner? It appears that they share the kiosk space (you can also get water, juice & snacks at the other window.) It's probably seasonal so if you're in the area, enjoy it while you can. Yet another good reason to cycle along Lachine Canal!

Another Havre aux Glaces:smile:  Just off Lachine Canal over the Atwater bridge or across the street from Atwater Market, there's a little kiosklike building (with water fountain & public washrooms) that - last year at least - used to sell Premier Moisson sandwiches & the like.  It's a great place for cyclists & bladers to rest or have a snack & on a recent visit to the market I noticed that one side of the kiosk had a Havre aux Glaces sign!  Does anyone know when it opened under their banner?  It appears that they share the kiosk space (you can also get water, juice & snacks at the other window.)  It's probably seasonal so if you're in the area, enjoy it while you can.  Yet another good reason to cycle along Lachine Canal!

Thanks for the heads-up, poutine. I dropped by this evening at the tail end of a ride out to Lachine and back (it must have been about 8), and the place was deserted, meaning I wasn't desserted... Still, it's great news. Will try to remember to ask the next time I'm in the nabe or at JTM, unless somebody beats me to it.

What do you pay these days for a scoop of good ice cream in Montreal?  I really wasn't planning to return to live in Montreal, but if good ice cream can be found at the right price, I may consider it...

Depends on the purveyor, but Havre aux glaces sells a nice cup for under $3, as I recall. And their half litres are bargains at $5.99, only slightly more than "premium" mass market ice creams like Hagen Daaz.

There are three gelaterias with good reps that I've yet to try (hard to when Havre aux glaces so consistently delivers the goods): Boulangerie Roma (word is that the pistachio and vanilla are particularly good); Restaurant Roberto (2221 Belanger East; don't know why Google won't display the address); and Pile ou glace, which closes during the cold months.

According to a dipper at the JTM store, the Lachine Canal/Atwater Market branch of Havre aux glaces is a seasonal operation, probably closing in late October and opening again in April or May. Current hours are something along the lines of 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekdays and 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. on weekends (neglected to ask if that includes Fridays); they reportedly stay open later in high summer. The selection of flavours is limited.

According to a dipper at the JTM store, the Lachine Canal/Atwater Market branch of Havre aux glaces is a seasonal operation, probably closing in late October and opening again in April or May. Current hours are something along the lines of 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekdays and 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. on weekends (neglected to ask if that includes Fridays); they reportedly stay open later in high summer. The selection of flavours is limited.

Carswell, thanks for the info. Makes sense for their Atwater location to be seasonal. I can't see too many x-country skiiers going off trail & over a bridge, unless really jonesing for what is undoubtedly the best gelato in the city.