• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roasting Meats

lesfen

My mom's Aunt Diane is the queen of roast meats. When there's meat to be roasted, she's the one we call on. Her roasts (beef, pork, lamb, doesn't matter) are always perfectly medium rare on the outside with mouthwatering crispy fat on the outside. Nothing fancy... salt, cracked pepper, garlic powder, and stuffed with slivered garlic. She doesn't use dried herbs because she says that it takes away from the flavor of good meat. (She's also incredibly shrewd when it comes to selecting and purchasing said meat. She's used the same guy for 30 years and won't even go near the supermarket selection.) Now, we're all competant cooks, but none of us have ever been able to duplicate her results. We've watched her work... Sear in the dutch oven, add a little stock, and roast. Simple, right? Right. Well, like I said, we've never been able to match her meat. She finally gave up the goods...

She always freezes her roasts and then partially thaws them. They're still frozen in the middle when she cooks them.

Is this safe? I mean, we've never gotten sick, but It made me wonder if this was a risky practice.

Any thoughts?

I can't see any problem with this at all. The meat is cooked to temp and it hasn't been sitting around thawed at room temp for days.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I've heard of putting an icecube in the centre of a burger to keep the inside rare, but this is a new one on me - Can't see a problem with it though - advice on properly thawing meat are all about risks of not cooking the centre, but if you know what you are doing I don't see a problem.

Would of thought freezing might dry the meat out though, and fast defrosting which is what you are in effect doing might affect the texture somewhat.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Her roasts (beef, pork, lamb, doesn't matter) are always perfectly medium rare on the outside with mouthwatering crispy fat on the outside. 

Any thoughts?

Well, either her black magic, or her grasp of universe bending physics to be able to have both medium rare on the outside and crispy on the outside are a sure sign that she is actually a dimenion-traveling alien who is bent on the subjugation and subsequent enslavement of the population of the Earth to satisfy the energy needs of her people.

The fastest way I know to send these pan-dimensional overlords back to their base to regroup is to serve them a cheap freezer pizza topped with cubed silken tofu, always eaten in front of the TV while watching Rocky and Bullwinkle reruns.

Aside from that, her human-enslaving culinary selections aren't deadly, they are just delectable honeypots to bring you willingly into her grasp. And actually, freezing like that has some tenderizing properties, amongst other things, so there should be no reason to worry about the food. But, beware when she pulls out her Space Vixen costume and enslaves you. You have been warned.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Her roasts (beef, pork, lamb, doesn't matter) are always perfectly medium rare on the outside with mouthwatering crispy fat on the outside. 

Any thoughts?

Well, either her black magic, or her grasp of universe bending physics to be able to have both medium rare on the outside and crispy on the outside are a sure sign that she is actually a dimenion-traveling alien who is bent on the subjugation and subsequent enslavement of the population of the Earth to satisfy the energy needs of her people.

The fastest way I know to send these pan-dimensional overlords back to their base to regroup is to serve them a cheap freezer pizza topped with cubed silken tofu, always eaten in front of the TV while watching Rocky and Bullwinkle reruns.

Aside from that, her human-enslaving culinary selections aren't deadly, they are just delectable honeypots to bring you willingly into her grasp. And actually, freezing like that has some tenderizing properties, amongst other things, so there should be no reason to worry about the food. But, beware when she pulls out her Space Vixen costume and enslaves you. You have been warned.

You know, we have been known to call the old bat a witch, but it was more a reference to her disposition... hm.

I almost always cook steak that's just out of the freezer, and I once did a small roast that way on the grill and it was great. I think unground beef is pretty safe.

"Last week Uncle Vinnie came over from Sicily and we took him to the Olive Garden. The next day the family car exploded."

--Nick DePaolo

Pan-seared (and rare) seafood, such as tuna or scallops, is a fashion statement in many restaurants, and home kitchens. But the flesh has been thawed, and is served almost raw. Does anyone complain? Or get sick?

We've been grilling CostCo frozen burgers all summer by putting them on the grill frozen. Been working like a charm as they cook all they way through but seem to retain quite a bit of moisture.

Go figure.

My husband first did against my better judgement, but it's been really great.

Stephanie Kay