• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oops! That's good!

Quinapalus

I almost necro'd this thread: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=57651 but on review, it's more about neat spirits.

Anyway, so I was in this neighborhood joint, the kind where the people are friendly but you can't expect to find Luxardo, and I fell to pondering what interesting cocktails they'd have the stuff for. I eventually decided you could get close to a Pegu -- they might have Angostura but not orange bitters, for example. I wound up just getting a whiskey sour because I would have felt crass lecturing the bartender, but the desire for a Pegu had taken root, and I set to shaking when I got home.

Only in a moment of distraction, I grabbed sweet vermouth instead of Cointreau. Around the time I finished the drink, I realized my mistake, hit up cocktaildb and learned that I had stumbled on something akin to the Boston Club:

http://www.cocktaildb.com/recipe_detail?id=286

but reversed the ratio of vermouth and lime juice. Along the lines of the Aviation vs. the Allen, a reversal of a key ratio (to say nothing of the bitterses) probably justifies a new name, so I will privately be calling it the Bostonaut in honor of my space-cadet moment.

I guess I don't really have a point, other than to perhaps lure you into confessing any accidental discoveries and to encourage you to try the Bostonaut, which turned out to be tasty.

The Bostonaut:

1.75 oz gin

.75 oz sweet vermouth

.5 oz lime juice

2 dashes orange bitters

2 dashes Angostura bitters

(As further proof of my ineptitude: the drink might have been a tad sweet, so I pulled back the vermouth a bit, but when I went to shake up a test batch, discovered I had no limes. All I had was an orange. Monkey Gland it is!)

--

Ben