• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinatown with kids?

Catew

We're thinking of making a day trip to Philly (from Wilmington, not much of a hike) to hit the Franklin Institute and eat at Chinatown. Our youngest son adores Chinese food, and will willingly scarf down just about anything. Our oldest likes: fried chicken, crab rangoon, fried shrimp, sweet and sour chicken without the sauce, and fried crab in general. Bread it and fry it and he's happy.

Is there a place that will be able to give the older boy a fry-up to keep him satisfied while still making the other 3 of us drool? I read so much about Szechuan Tasty House, but will they have anything Mr. fried food only will eat?

I realize this is far from a foodie-type question, but it is my present reality and I would appreciate recommendations. (And yes, I know the kid should get over his food phobias, but he's got other issues too and we're cutting him some slack).

We're thinking of making a day trip to Philly (from Wilmington, not much of a hike) to hit the Franklin Institute and eat at Chinatown.  Our youngest son adores Chinese food, and will willingly scarf down just about anything.  Our oldest likes: fried chicken, crab rangoon, fried shrimp, sweet and sour chicken without the sauce, and fried crab in general.  Bread it and fry it and he's happy.

Is there a place that will be able to give the older boy a fry-up to keep him satisfied while still making the other 3 of us drool?  I read so much about Szechuan Tasty House, but will they have anything Mr. fried food only will eat?

I realize this is far from a foodie-type question, but it is my present reality and I would appreciate recommendations.  (And yes, I know the kid should get over his food phobias, but he's got other issues too and we're cutting him some slack).

Catew:

Hi. I'd suggest going to Lee How Fook on 11th Street. There's anough "standard issue" fare on the menu to please your elder boy as well as the world's best Hot n' Sour soup, Lemon Duck and good hot pots. You should be able to feed everyone happily. Another fave of mine is David's Mai Lai Wah at the corner of 10th & Race. Their dumplings are amazing as well as their Salt & Pepper Squid. Both the dumplings and the squid come with the most amazing ginger dipping sauce. Their noodle dishes are also excellent. If you think Vietnamese might do the trick, then Pho Xe Lua (9th & Race) has great Spring rolls, soups and vermicelli dishes with all manner of good stuff on top that all of you should like. Inexpensive to boot.

If you look back through the PA forum there is a thread on Chinatown favorites that includes all of the above and some other suggestions.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I don't know if I'd try Szechuan tasty House in this circumstance, although the chef is darn good with a deep-frier and they're very accommodating!

I think Katie had some good ideas, and also keep Sang Kee in mind. You can get the General Tso's Chcken with the sauce on the side, which amounts to great fried chicken (breast only) for one son, and the other two of you can dip to your hearts' content in a great sauce.

And they make good dumplings, and I have yet to meet a kid that doesn't like their sweet, sticky roast pork.

Good luck, and please tell us what you do, and how it goes!

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I have a 5 year old and a two year old and we frequently go to Lakeside Chinese Deli. Don't let the funny name fool you - its good stuff and they are very accommodating with our kids! Plain this, leave that off, make this for them - no problem!

Good luck.....

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

Another option, if you don't want strictly Chinese, is Rangoon. We go there a lot with our 2 and 4-year-olds, both of whom are quite picky (how I ended up with picky eaters continues to mystify me). They have a number of fried things - fried taro (kind of french fry-ish), crispy tofu, and things like chicken satay and noodle dishes that the kids are always happy to eat. their salads and entrees also have plenty to offer the more adventurous eater. There have been lots of descriptions on this forum if you do a search.

Vietnamese is also popular with my kids. The appetizer sampler plate at Vietnam has something for everyone and is enough for a meal for the kids plus apps for the parents.

Have fun.

There's a little asian candy shop on Race St, between 10th and 9th. Bribe the picky child with promises of candy if he behaves and tries new foods :laugh: If you're walking towards 9th street on Race from 10th it's on the left side of the street.

Edited by ellencho (log)

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

I took two kids plus an infant to Siam Cuisine. The kids loved the shrimp dumplings. Good, reasonably priced food.

Oh and my five year old loved the Franklin Institute more than just about any place he's been including Disney, two national acquiriums, Sesame Place, Carowinds, etc.

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra