• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boca Chica

Pan

Funny, I thought it was "awesome" when it first opened in the early 90s, but last time I ate there (last year?) I thought the food was tired and the restaurant just too damn loud. But maybe it's just a sign that I'm just too damn old. :laugh:

To be more specific -- I can't recall exactly what I had a year ago, but I do remember plaintains (good), rice and beans (too salty) and a fish dish that also was way, way too salty. I do remember that the drinks were large and packed a good punch.

In the Two Days in Manhattan thread, AzianBrewer stated that Boca Chica presents "awesome Latino fare." I've walked past the place hundreds of times but I don't think I've ever eaten there. Is the food really so great? And how are their drinks?

far from authentic.. good, reasonably prices food, trendy vibe, nice place to meet a friend for drinks and dinner.. my girlfriend (an East Village resident) goes here a few times a year with her girlfriends for a reasonable meal in a fun atmosphere.. you're out for about $25 per person, with an entree and a cocktail.. they've got great plaintain chips and a back bean dip, gratis, to start with.. this is probably the highlight of the meal though, as it's all i really remember after a few visits..

contrast with Flor's Kitchen a few blocks up, which serves much better food in a smaller, less sceney surrounding, for about the same price..

pick accordingly..

As I recall, it was the noise that most left me with no desire to repeat the experience. In regard to the inauthenticity which is usually a very subjective thing, we found it inauthentic in regard to food we knew well and inauthentic in a way that didn' timprove it for us.

Noise is also subjective. There are noisy restaurants we frequent, but not with others as it's one thing to carry on a conversation with the person in front of you at a small table, but another more difficult thing to converse with someone at an opposite corner of a table.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

In the Two Days in Manhattan thread, AzianBrewer stated that Boca Chica presents "awesome Latino fare." I've walked past the place hundreds of times but I don't think I've ever eaten there. Is the food really so great? And how are their drinks?

Perhaps "awesome" is an overstatement. But it's sure better than Cafe con Leche in UWS and Cabana.

Leave the gun, take the canoli

I don't know Cabana but did have a nice dinner at Cafe con Leche a few months ago. I hadn't been there for years, but have never had anything less than a tasty meal there on other visits, either.

Where's Cabana?

Michael aka "Pan"

I don't know Cabana but did have a nice dinner at Cafe con Leche a few months ago. I hadn't been there for years, but have never had anything less than a tasty meal there on other visits, either.

Where's Cabana?

There are 3 locations of Cabana.

1022 3rd Ave,

New York 10021

Btwn 60th & 61st St

South Street Seaport

10710 70th Rd

Forest Hills, NY 11375

Leave the gun, take the canoli