• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Get the Puck Out: Best Food + Drink Options in BC

jamiemaw

Me thinks I will have to come down to see you Tuesday, Niel, and watch the game. This will be the first game I have been off work for this year! Your bar looks like the kind of place a feller could get comfy.

If the restaurant gods are smiling on me, and let me have that day off, I will see you then!

My preferred hockey viewing is a can or three of Heineken in Section 117, row 14...but alas I have no budget this year for such frivolities.

This year: a 6 of Corona in front of my 32-in. digital! snacks optional! BYOB!

Was at the Kolachy Shop yesterday for a quick mid-errand-run afternoon snack and realized that a bagful of these would be the perfect food to have in hand while watching the game in front of my own 34" flat screen. No muss, no fuss and a relatively good projectile to throw at the television set when the Flames score. Alternatively, very easy to smuggle into the game and a helluva lot cheaper than synthetic GM Place fare.

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

My preferred hockey viewing is a can or three of Heineken in Section 117, row 14...but alas I have no budget this year for such frivolities.

Was at the Kolachy Shop yesterday for a quick mid-errand-run afternoon snack and realized that a bagful of these would be the perfect food to have in hand while watching the game in front of my own 34" flat screen. No muss, no fuss and a relatively good projectile to throw at the television set when the Flames score. Alternatively, very easy to smuggle into the game and a helluva lot cheaper than synthetic GM Place fare.

Or, of course, you can watch HNIC with the sound off while listening to Boards of Canada and Stereolab and eating red-wine-braised duck at my table.

:biggrin:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I applaud the liberal application of Dutch Cleanser whether at home or abroad.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Or, of course, you can watch HNIC with the sound off while listening to Boards of Canada and Stereolab and eating red-wine-braised duck at my table.

That is truly strange as I thought I was the only one who would go and buy Stepho's takeout - for example - take it home to watch HNIC while playing boards of canada (although I would favour the white wine with it).

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

[host]

Just a friendly reminder that this thread is not to be used to arrange a Hockey Night at the Plasma, or other such gatherings. The ISO Thread pinned to the top of the forum would be the place to arrange that. Even better ... use the PM system

Go 'Nucks.

A.

[/host]

Now that the game is over and we won, it was great to have a bunch of egulleters in to watch the game tonight. It was nice to see all of the bar tools full. We have not seen that since the last gasps of the restaurant smoking era. Nothing says "I love you" like two 42" Plasmas. The big flats certainly make a difference in the viewing pleasure. Next up, Colorado ( back to back ! )

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Now that the game is over and we won, it was great to have a bunch of egulleters in to watch the game tonight. It was nice to see all of the bar tools full.

An accidental description of eGulleters or not, that was particularly funny, Neil! :laugh:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

That is truly strange as I thought I was the only one who would go and buy Stepho's takeout - for example - take it home to watch HNIC while playing boards of canada (although I would favour the white wine with it).

Nope you're wrong about beign the only stepho's takeout fan... nothing like skipping the crazy line-ups at Stepho's, curling up in the comfort of my home and stuffing my face with stepho's lamb and rice while cursing at the Flames (or any other team that's ever beat the Nucks for that matter!)... though red wine for me too... but if someone else is buying... i'll drink anything :raz: and LOVE Boards of Canada... though maybe not when watching hockey...

As for spots away from the couch at home... good classic pub style hockey games:

1. Coppertank Bar & Grill on Broadway and MacDonald. Great visibility from anywhere in the bar and they honk this crazy loud horn whenever we score! Gets the room going. As for food... hawaiin chicken burger, thin crust pizzas and DRY RIBS!! (but that's probably because i'm just an overall dry ribs junkie)

2. Flying Beaver out by the South Terminal of YVR airport is a lot of fun... every table draws a 'Nucks # when they sit down, if your player scores... free round of shots for the table. Buffalo Chicken wrap is very yummy... atmosphere and energy is great, BUT the view is not always great cuz it gets crowded. so go early to get seats by the TV.

Let's talk about Food @ www.tasteof604.com!

The big news recently in Kelowna, British Columbia, was the opening of the attractive new Cactus Club restaurant, even if it cowers behind a gigantic Wal-Mart sign (don't we all just?). A large screen was seen to unfurl discretely from the ceiling just before face-off, smaller plasmoids abound, the beer taps are close at hand and the service is both sporty and swift. I haven't had a better hockey and food evening in quite a while, but then I haven't test-driven Neil's new bar yet either.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

I finally got around to seeing Neil's plasma pleasure palace last Friday. Though not a game night, it was nonetheless quite impressive. The experience is fully rounded out by enjoying an R&B Cream Ale while shooting the shite with an Ernest Bourgnine lookalike.

The big news recently in Kelowna, British Columbia, was the opening of the attractive new Cactus Club restaurant, even if it cowers behind a gigantic Wal-Mart sign (don't we all just?). A large screen was seen to unfurl discretely from the ceiling just before face-off, smaller plasmoids abound, the beer taps are close at hand and the service is both sporty and swift. I haven't had a better hockey and food evening in quite a while, but then I haven't test-driven Neil's new bar yet either.

At the risk of replying to myself (can middle age be far behind?), we did pop by the HSG last night after dinner at Diner--our third meal there. Neil's plasmas were fired up, but there was soccer on the screens. Neil wisely put Jay Leno on so that we wouldn't wake up speaking with Midlands accents. Excellent reception: Jay really should trim those nose hairs.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Neil's plasmas were fired up, but there was soccer on the screens. Neil wisely put Jay Leno on so that we wouldn't wake up speaking with Midlands accents. Excellent reception: Jay really should trim those nose hairs.

It's Champion's League fer crissake! Order up some Fish & Chips and a Nut Brown and enjoy!

A.