• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gas Prices

rich

I changed my habits about 4 years ago. I tend to ride my bicycle a lot more. This means that I tend to frequent places that are friendlier to the "bleeding edge" of society.

But, my bicycle still gets somewhere around 10 miles/pint of beer, and the price of beer hasn't changed significantly in the past four years.

Are there any reasonable expectations that higher end dining will start to accept people to use alternate modes of transportation, like pulling up on their bicycle? Or, is that simply too antithetical to the unstated thesis of high-end dining?

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Our simple response (at this point) is to decrease our dining out. We had started decreasing since our heating bills increased during the winter anyway. :sad:

I really enjoyed reading some of the detailed responses regarding economics and whatnot.

But we are cooking more at home and our grocery list has become more interesting and diverse. Along with a slight increase in internet / mail order vs. driving to stores.

We are fortunate to be located in an area with some good neighborhood and local places to eat at. We do not necessarily have to drive to dine out.