• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unsung Heroes

kurtisk

I noticed, upon posting something earlier, that there are many places that we rarely mention in this corner of eGullet that are noteworthy. The post in question was about Tapastree, which I believe to be a great local dining spot. Consistent, delicious and wonderful, educated service.

So the question is:

While we discuss dozens of restaurants on a regular basis, who do you feel we are ignoring that provide a great dining experience?

I have many favourites; Cin Cin, Zizanie, and so on (to be delved into later) that seem to rarely be brought up around these parts.

What are yours and why?

k.

I am going to have to add the Gramercy Grill - Arbutus and 11th. Here you will get the best service in town - thank you Trevor - at the bar and some really incredible food. Try the spinach salad with pecan encrusted portobello mushrooms and the blue cheese macaroni and ribs. I always grab the nightly special. Still we see no big write ups in the local mags - Jamie - please go back now that young chef Nick is onboard.

Edited by Vancitygirl (log)

Gastronomista

I noticed, upon posting something earlier, that there are many places that we rarely mention in this corner of eGullet that are noteworthy.  The post in question was about Tapastree, which I believe to be a great local dining spot.  Consistent, delicious and wonderful, educated service.

So the question is:

While we discuss dozens of restaurants on a regular basis, who do you feel we are ignoring that provide a great dining experience?

I have many favourites; Cin Cin, Zizanie, and so on (to be delved into later) that seem to rarely be brought up around these parts.

What are yours and why?

k.

We actually had a topic like this a while back.... over under discussing those restos that were overrated and those that were a bit off the radar.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

I noticed, upon posting something earlier, that there are many places that we rarely mention in this corner of eGullet that are noteworthy.  The post in question was about Tapastree, which I believe to be a great local dining spot.  Consistent, delicious and wonderful, educated service.

So the question is:

What are yours and why?

k.

i will second tapastree. we love that place and the bonus is that it's around the corner from my humble abode!

another one i will add is the ordinary cafe on 4th. went there a little while ago on the suggestion of chris, from parkside and he was bang on!

how about chiyoda (on alberni, just below the tokyo lounge), for old school sushi and great robata? i love this place as it's usually japanese businessmen at the bar and japanese tourists at the tables. packed in the summer and quiet in the winter as few locals seem to know about it. if they aren't sold out of the miso black cod, it's a must have.

Quentina

I am going to have to add the Gramercy Grill - Arbutus and 11th.  Here you will get the best service in town - thank you Trevor - at the bar and some really incredible food.  Try the spinach salad with pecan encrusted portobello mushrooms and the blue cheese macaroni and ribs.  I always grab the nightly special.  Still we see no big write ups in the local mags - Jamie - please go back now that young chef Nick is onboard.

I agree with you VCG.

Trevor Herbert was honoured with a Premier Crew Service Award at the 15th Annual Restaurant Awards last year. We've written about the restaurant three times since it opened at 11th and Arbutus, and featured it in its earlier incarnation as Sienna Grill (when Gerald Tritt of Vera's was a partner) at 1st and Chestnut (currently Vintropolis).

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

We actually had a topic like this a while back.... over under  discussing those restos that were overrated and those that were a bit off the radar.

Kurtis' thread has a nice vibe though. More love and less knocking people around for being "overrated".

My vote is Bishop's. Rarely mentioned on these pages lately, but a consummate host and seems to have been a pioneer in using fine B.C.-sourced fresh foods.

I have almost cooked my way through his most recent cookbook Simply Bishops and have him to thank for some nice meals. The duck breast with apple puree, the goat cheese salad, and the dungeness crab lemongrass soup are the sweetest recipes. You could be the chickenlady or steve urkell, but if you cook those recipes for a date and throw down some miles davis on the stereo you could not lose.

Edited by the g-man (log)

I'd have to nominate Kung Pow Phat Soy for sure: food writers have stayed away in droves, especially now that the hockey lockout has been resolved. Say what you want about the Sedin twins, but they sure could bus a section.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

SAVEUR!!!!!!!!!

on Thurlow (old Piccolo Mondo)

Really??? Oh my how opinions differ. My Dad and I had a really bad experience there. Overcooked fish and the wrong dinner dish was brought to our table after the owner had come back and asked a second time what we order. I also think they need to tone down the formality of the tableclothes and atmosphere. It would serve them better to be more bistro like. Oh well....so many good places to go in Vancouver.

Gastronomista

Admittedly I have agonised over putting certain names on the net.

Sheer selfishness?

An avuncular desire to protect fledgling enterprises from the slings and arrows of Maw & Co?

A dread of slouching in and finding Keith Talent and his tribe have commandeered my favourite corner/cowed the waitress into submission and are shouting imprecations @ the kitchen?

:unsure: sigh....I suppose nothing lasts forever....

click here and see if I care(!)

SAVEUR!!!!!!!!!

on Thurlow (old Piccolo Mondo)

Really??? Oh my how opinions differ. My Dad and I had a really bad experience there. Overcooked fish and the wrong dinner dish was brought to our table after the owner had come back and asked a second time what we order. I also think they need to tone down the formality of the tableclothes and atmosphere. It would serve them better to be more bistro like. Oh well....so many good places to go in Vancouver.

I'm going to have to agree here on the overcooked fish part. The one time I went my halibut was overcooked as well. Overall I was underwhelmed with the experience.

One place I've been frequenting or reccomending often these days is Trafalgers on 16th. Service and food never dissapoint and Steven is always a gracious host. Granted it's not known as "hip and happening". But it's good honest food and service. Possibly the best benny in town IMO. I would also add Zizzanie but alas......my monday night poutine binge is no more. :unsure:

• 2 months later...
... I would also add Zizzanie but alas......my monday night poutine binge is no more. :unsure:

Sidetrack... anyone know the story on Zizane? The poutine was tres manifique! I heard rumours of problems with the liquour license.. Perhaps the Quebec laissez-faire attitude was run over by a puritanical Liquour inspector? Je ne sais quoi...

We used to go to Trafalgers every sunday for brunch. One of the best little spots in the city. Never been for dinner though. Another place that we frequetened alot was Tangerine.

Dan Walker

Chef/Owner

Weczeria Restaurant

I'll also throw in a vote for Tapastree. We've had some great meals, and parties, there. Is Le Regelade getting enough praise? Well, they're packed, but they deserve any praise we heap on them.

A couple of other places: Cafe de Paris on Denman. Haven't been there in a while but hope to go over the holiday season. The food is consistent and good, the service great, and the room charming. And they make real cassoulet. Thgat clinches it for me.

Here's another one: out here in West Van, in the 1700 block of Marine, is an Italian place called Amici's. We had always avoided it because the place that was in that space before was pretty bad, but a couple of months ago we had the in-laws over and, on the spur of the moment, we decided to try it. No reservations, nothing. The staff were great, setting up a table for us in a minute. The service was friendly, and the food was very good, much better than we expected. We had a great night with the folks. We'll go back.

Last one that no talks about: the Japanese noodle shop in the food court of the Aberdeen Centre, Richmond. Best cheap ramen and udon around.

Paul B

Also - What about the Bins.....we hardly talk about them and they are consistently very good.

I agree. The Bins are good and solid!

Anyone have the Pakora's at dv8? My god I love them.

Edited by fud (log)

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Amarcord in Yaletown.

Amarcord is one of my Yaletown faves.

Little mention is ever made of the Heather or Burgoo these days, nor of Fiction Five on lower Lonsdale, the Quattros, Glowbal (great express lunches), the Guu's, or Brix. 'Tis the season to blow our cash and eat like swine. Let's get to it.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Amarcord in Yaletown.

Amarcord is one of my Yaletown faves.

Little mention is ever made of the Heather or Burgoo these days, nor of Fiction Five on lower Lonsdale, the Quattros, Glowbal (great express lunches), the Guu's, or Brix. 'Tis the season to blow our cash and eat like swine. Let's get to it.

I agree that the Guu's (Gastown and With Garlic) deserve more attention. They are always packed though :)