• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Please my man....

Trishiad

My husband has a birthday this weekend and has requested ribs for dinner. I'm looking for a restaurant in Northern California with great BBQ ribs. They must also have decent side dishes. I love my husband but not beans and coleslaw. I may have to kill myself if I'm served shriveled corn on the cob that was cooked hours before. Please save me from having to make a special dinner with a 3 year old hanging from my hip.

We're in Sonoma County and will drive over to Napa and down to Oakland or into the city.

Jerome's Mesquite Bar-B-Que

tel. +1 707.795.2114

1390 North McDowell Boulevard

Petaluma, CA 94952

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Ah Jerome's....baked potatoes that taste like they are fresh from the microwave.  Is that really the best we can do?

Just remembered this one. http://geysersmokehouse.biz/

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

My husband has a birthday this weekend and has requested ribs for dinner.  I'm looking for a restaurant in Northern California with great BBQ ribs.  They must also have decent side dishes.  I love my husband but not beans and coleslaw.  I may have to kill myself if I'm served shriveled corn on the cob that was cooked hours before.  Please save me from having to make a special dinner with a 3 year old hanging from my hip.

We're in Sonoma County and will drive over to Napa and down to Oakland or into the city.

Would you drive all the way down to Mountain View? If so,

Uncle Frank's BBQ Restaurant and Catering (inside of Francesca's bar)

2135 Old Middlefield Way

Mountain View, CA 650.964.4476

unfinished web site: http://www.http://unclefranksbbq.com/

He recently moved from East Palo Alto and as of this writing still has no signage outside. Just go into the bar and walk to the back. He was featured in last year's Sunset Magazine as one of the few (4 or 5) best BBQ places in the magazine's territory. Don't worry you'll be happy.

MEAT:

Brisket

Chicken

Ribs

Beef links

Catfish

Prawns

Chicken wings

SIDES:

Baked Beans

Collard Greens

Potato Salad

Cole Slaw

Black-Eyed Peas

French Fries

Seasoned Fries

Corn Bread

Dessert:

Peach Cobbler

Sweet Potato Pie

Have fun!

John S.

Go to Bo's Barbecue in Lafayette. I'm a Certified Barbecue Judge and would put Bo's up against any Q joint from Kansas City or anywhere else. Really, really good.

According to the SF Chronicle, Bo's is one of the 100 best resteraunts in the Bay Area. Great brisket and ribs, no gas used in the JR Oyler pit at all. Dozens of beers and wines. Don't be fooled by the uppity location and the Acme baguette and balsamic dressed salad served with the food. It's the real deal. Bring plenty of cash because cheap it's not . . .

I'm far to be a BBQ connoiseur but Memphies Minnies in SF's Haight Street is the closest that I have been to the real thing.

Would like to hear your opinions about this place, but IMHO the ribs and brisquet were outstanding.

Edited by Rogelio (log)
Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

Chef Edward's in Oakland. This is strictly for the believers. The few, the proud, the fanatics. It ain’t pretty. It’s in the ‘hood. But it’s the best in the bay. Excellent ribs, brisket, etc. and don’t miss the hot water corn bread.

Bo's in Lafayette. Great barbecue. Upscale location. Large selection of highfalutin’ beers, etc… Although it’s not as good as that delivered by Chef Edward or Dad (not sure there is a Dad, but there is definitely a Chef Edward). It is by far the safest location and one the only decent barbecue joints most folks I know would go to at night. But despite the genteel location they are hard core. I remember one time I got some brisket, chicken, or something like that, and it was garnished with ribs! (out of parsley?)

Dad's BBQ also in Oakland. This is by far the place with the most barbecue ambiance. It’s a dumpy dive, but they definitely serve up the ‘que. I’m not really exaggerating when I say this place is in a bad neighborhood. Almost every time I go there is an officer parked out side Dad’s. This I suspect is for two reasons. First, the food is damned good. You will rarely see a patrolman parked by Dad’s without food. And second, well there is a liquor store next to Dad’s that attracts a unique clientele, many of whom like to hang out and pursue retail ventures of their own.

They are not open on Mondays and Tuesdays.

Or, as a last resort, Everet and Jones, also in Oakland with locations in Fruitvale and Jack London Square. This stuff is good. Their Fruitvale location, I believe, serves the best food. But they don’t really have a dining room, just a small counter and some chairs, so it would pretty much be take-out. Fruitvale, particularly the part where you’ll find E&J’s, is a neighborhood a lot of my friends wouldn’t follow me into at the wrong time of the day. But they also have a Jack London Square location that features a dining room. The food, I think, is not as good, and the service is… not very polished. But it’s some pretty good barbecue and their hot sauce is really quite hot.

Edited by fiftydollars (log)

I'm far to be a BBQ connoiseur but Memphies Minnies in SF's Haight Street is the closest that I have been to the real thing.

Would like to hear your opinions about this place

I've been to Memphis Minnie's a few times. Being originally from the midwest, I'm also far from a BBQ connoiseur.

If I remember correctly, as far as the meat goes, my BBQ loving friends from Georgia enjoyed it while the ones from Houston were a bit disappointed. It helps to have a few beers at Toronado or Mad Dog before heading over.

Personally, I've been disappointed with the quality of their sides. Nothing really rises above the quality of, say, a side from a grocery store frozen entre. Service is also usually pretty bad. I get the feeling from the cash register people that they resent having to hold down a job and take it out on the customers. We're cutting into the time they could be at burning man or out getting tatoos.

-Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Go to Bo's Barbecue in Lafayette.  I'm a Certified Barbecue Judge and would put Bo's up against any Q joint from Kansas City or anywhere else.  Really, really good.

According to the SF Chronicle, Bo's is one of the 100 best resteraunts in the Bay Area.  Great brisket and ribs, no gas used in the JR Oyler pit at all.  Dozens of beers and wines.  Don't be fooled by the uppity location and the Acme baguette and balsamic dressed salad served with the food.  It's the real deal.  Bring plenty of cash because cheap it's not . . .

Was it Bon Appetite that named Bo's one of the ten best BBQ spots in the USA? I remember reading that in the last several months somewhere and have meant to go there.