• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mac & Cheese in Raleigh

Malawry

I have a fierce jones for macaroni and cheese. I'm planning to meet a friend for lunch this Saturday in Raleigh, preferably somewhere not too far from the Holiday Inn Brownstone, and I intend to indulge. Who has a good example of it? I'm willing to go farther for superior dishes. I prefer the baked crusty type, but any housemade mac and cheese will do.

Vin appears to only be open for dinner and Sunday brunch, and their menu online does not currently list mac n cheese.

Melissa's right about the cheddary top crust--it's why I prefer the baked versions.

Baked cheddary crusts are a wonderous thing on mac and cheese.

Although, I'm also partial to a mix of bread crumbs butter and cheese on top as well.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Mrs. Varmint's family refers to that crust as "frust."  I don't know why, but it's a common word in our household now.

Possibly because one of the first family members who tried to break through the outer layer of thickly baked cheese felt a sense of frustration? :rolleyes:

Could have been worse: panic ...then they would have referred to this dish and Mac'n'Panic ... :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

It's not in Raleigh and it isn't open for lunch, so this isn't any help. Vin Rouge in Durham has a wonderful mac and cheese.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."

I"ll second the vote for Vin Rouge. Too bad the timing and location aren't right.

On the other hand, Porter's Tavern on Hillsborough Street in Raleigh is open for lunch. And they serve a mac and cheese made with blue cheese and white American cheese. It may not be what you have in mind, but it's very good.

My friend actually suggested Porter's as an option. Not sure I'm up for a blue cheese version, but we might end up there anyway due to proximity. I can't seem to locate an online menu though.

I don't know if the Q-Shack on Hillsborough St is as good as the one in Durham, but they make a stand up mac and cheese and are open for lunch. Plus their onion rings are to die for.

No nice top crust (unless you get lucky that day), but still good stuff.

~Nibbs

We leave metro Atlanta bright and early tomorrow morning ( I hope) and should be in Raleigh some 465 miles later. With luck, I ( maybe, we ) will have energy enough to help in whatever manner we may be needed.

We leave metro Atlanta bright and early tomorrow morning ( I  hope) and should be in Raleigh some 465 miles later.  With luck, I ( maybe, we ) will have energy enough to help in whatever manner we may be needed.

Will see you and your wife there tomorrow as well, Milt, and hopefully will add my two helping hands to yours!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Thanks to all for the recommendations on mac and cheese. I ended up visiting Poole's with my friend for lunch. They actually have two iterations of macaroni and cheese on their menu, a side dish of regular stovetop (not baked) mac and an "ultimate" version loaded with several extra types of cheese, fresh spinach, and other goodies. Our server told us that those choosing the ultimate "should not be afraid of cheese." It sounds good but also like not what I was in the mood for, so I stuck with the ordinary sort as a side order. I chased it with a vegetable and onion dip plate.

The restaurant is adorable, outfitted with an old-fashioned luncheonette curved counter hugged with round red stools. And the service is very friendly. The side-order mac and cheese is delicious, clearly housemade with care and attention, neither too cheesy nor too rich nor too mild. Just right for the stovetop variety. I cleaned my plate.

Thanks to all for the recommendations on mac and cheese. I ended up visiting Poole's with my friend for lunch. They actually have two iterations of macaroni and cheese on their menu, a side dish of regular stovetop (not baked) mac and an "ultimate" version loaded with several extra types of cheese, fresh spinach, and other goodies. Our server told us that those choosing the ultimate "should not be afraid of cheese." It sounds good but also like not what I was in the mood for, so I stuck with the ordinary sort as a side order. I chased it with a vegetable and onion dip plate.

The restaurant is adorable, outfitted with an old-fashioned luncheonette curved counter hugged with round red stools. And the service is very friendly. The side-order mac and cheese is delicious, clearly housemade with care and attention, neither too cheesy nor too rich nor too mild. Just right for the stovetop variety. I cleaned my plate.

I am glad you enjoyed Poole's. It is one of my favorite places to hang out. I do miss it as the "Vertigo" as the decor was a little brighter. If you go there late night, they have awesome cocktails with a different theme each month--anything from politics to knitting.

-----------------

AMUSE ME