• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rockin' Falafel Sandwich

Yee-haw! I work near Pike Place market, but rarely go there for lunch in the summer due to the crush of tourists (and the fact that I live on Western Ave across the street from it :raz: ) so I frequently bemoan my downtown lunch options. Well, I'm here to tell you that I had the b-e-s-t falafel sandwich at Zaina's on 3rd Ave (it's in the street level of the Bon parking garage). I also had a piece of baklava (meh, boring, sadly), but damn, that falafel sandwich was killing. Perfect combination of hummus, tahini, garbanzos, _good_ lettuce, and tomatoes, wrapped in a warm grilled pita. Spiced to order (I opted for "not that spicy" so I could see what I was getting myself into). Damn, that was a good sandwich. I moved from Philly in January and have been trying to replicate my beloved center city falafel cart--I've finally found the place.

It's the little things, right?

Welcome to Seattle, Peter. Yes, this is the place. The food is great, the service is great, and the murals on the walls will keep you entertained if you're eating alone and forget to bring a book. If you wait until after the lunch rush (say 1:30 or later), you'll find that the food is even better because they'll have a little more time to put everything together for you.

I love the little details in their food, especially when it comes to the garnishes. The falafel has a lot more to it than the generic lettuce, tomato and hummus of every other place in Seattle. (I'm an extra-spicy girl myself, but I'd definitely recommend working up to that.) Even a bowl of lentil soup isn't just that -- they jazz it up with hot sauce, parsley and lemon juice before serving it.

Yum.

Edited by dandelion (log)

I'm definitely a Zaina fan. My favorite is the 'falafel supreme', kind of a big salad with all kinds of good stuff on top of a pita. I've found, however, that who makes your food can make a significant difference. I always try to work it so the older lady puts together my order.

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I think this is the same place that used to be on 65th and moved out several years ago. If so, you're absolutely right about their falafels -- they were so good! I still miss them, especially every time I go by the place where they used to be which is now an Italian place, Casa d'Italia. And the people were so nice, too.

SusieQ

Oh Zaina's :wub: I haven't thought about them in ages. We used to eat at the Pioneer square location all the time when I worked down there. FAB felafel, good borek, and wonderful people.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

So this is the place in PS on the corner of 1st and something? Next to the Italian place? hmmm....I might have to check it out as the PS location is not far from me!

FWIW, I've been told the PS location isn't as good as the 3rd & Stewart location, though I've never been.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I have only been to the Zania down in pioneer square. Their Gyros are decent, but really nothing special. I have heard great stuff about the Falafel and fully intend to try them shortly.

Perhaps I should make the treck to the 3rd ave location.

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

I've had two bad meals-beef kebabs that were almost unrecognizable as beef, and a gyros so laden with raw onions (but little else) that it was almost inedible-at the PS location. I've never had the falafel or tried the 3rd Ave location.

sounds like the pioneer square location has gone downhill since my day (7+ years ago - wow!) I will have to make a pilgrimage to try the location on 3rd one of these days.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...