• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Taos: St Joseph's Table

I heard good things about the first incarnation of Joseph's Table but never had a chance to eat there. I was happy to hear that Joseph Wrede has opened a second Joseph's Table in downtown Taso at the La Fonda Hotel. (I think it has been open since ~ December).

Has anyone had a chance to check it out? Comments?

Here's a website to the restaurant: Joseph's Table. There are some sample menus and reviews.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

The JT I went to last October was on the south side of the square in the la Fonda. I think it had been open for a while.  My meal there was outstanding in conception, service, and execution.

I wasn't exactly sure when the 2nd Joseph's Table opened, but apparently it was before last December! Nice to hear that you had a wonderful meal. The reviews certainly sound good.

I wonder if anyone has also checked out De la Tierra at the El Monte Segrado Resort. Both these 'high end' restaurants have opened since I've last been to Taos. It's difficult to tell just by reading, but Joseph's Table looks like it might have the edge over De La Tierra...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

The JT I went to last October was on the south side of the square in the la Fonda. I think it had been open for a while.  My meal there was outstanding in conception, service, and execution.

I wasn't exactly sure when the 2nd Joseph's Table opened, but apparently it was before last December! Nice to hear that you had a wonderful meal. The reviews certainly sound good.

I wonder if anyone has also checked out De la Tierra at the El Monte Segrado Resort. Both these 'high end' restaurants have opened since I've last been to Taos. It's difficult to tell just by reading, but Joseph's Table looks like it might have the edge over De La Tierra...

Joseph's Table IS now located in the La Fonda Hotel on the south side of Taos plaza. It is not a second location; Joseph Wrede closed the original a few years ago as he and his then wife were splitting and he was considering moving to Santa Fe to take on that scene. In the end he chose to stay in Taos and open a new, more ambitious restaurant. It's been open a few months shy of two years.

While some might have other opinions, in my opinion Joseph's Table is the best in Taos. I've never been disappointed. My favorite entree is a dish featuring duck in seven (!) preparations all served together; imaginitive and well executed.

The restaurant at the El Monte Segrado resort when it first opened was exceptional and a contender to be the-very-best in town. Unfortunately the chef responsible for it all left after less than a year to return to Florida taking many recipes with him which were "proprietary". The restaurant remains very good; just not as good; more like what one expects at a better hotel. Let me note, though, that the people responsible for the wines and the wine service are very knowledgable and continue to really do more than one might expect in such a small town (Taos is only about 7,000 population).

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

• 1 month later...

Thanks, fyfas, for clarifying my description of a "second" Joseph's Table restaurant to explain that the current restaurant opened in the La Fonda Plaza location some time after the original location was closed. That is, there is one Joseph's Table restaurant in Taos!

We had a very nice dinner there about a month ago. We were offered a choice to sit in one of raised banquettes that line one wall of the restaurant in which you are seated on pillows and have curtains that you can partially close. It was a fun experience and was actuallly pretty comfortable. The majority of seating is at 'regular' tables so have no fear if this option doesn't strike your fancy.

Here is a descripbtion of the dishes we had:

Vodka Cured Wild Salmon served with toasted brioche.

Organic Mixed Greens with Five Nuts, Manchego, Green Apples,and Tarragon Vinaigrette

Peppercorn Crusted Organic Elk Tenderloin on Organic Smashed Potatoes with Madeira Mushroom Sauce

Grilled Petit Organic Beef Tenderloin on Smashed Sweet Potatoes & Horseradish Sauce with Onion Rings Chimayo

Gina's Bay Leaf Panna Cotta with Blackberry Espresso Sauce

We drank a 2001 Jaffurs Santa Barbara Syrah.

The main courses and the dessert were the standouts of the meal for our visit this time.

The combination of sweet potatoes, crispy onions and horseraadish with the perfectly cooked beef was really a wonderful combination, so much so, that I think I will try to re-create this at home. The elk was very tender and the rich mushroom sauce was a perfect complement to the rich flavors of the meat.

While I am an admitted fan of panna cotta, the flavors combinations here made it one of the more intriguing desserts I have ever had and I am always on the lookout for interesting desserts at home in SF and travelling elsewhere. The combination of coffee, bay leaf and blackberries was very successful. It was reminscent of a complex wine.

We were less entranced with the vodka cured salmon. There were some strong flavors that seems to clash with rather than enhance the salmon, although I can't recall details on the spicing at this point to describe it more carefully. We both enjoy sushi and were surprised that we did not enjoy the dish more. The salmon was fresh, maybe the vodka or other spices were just not for our palate. Nice combination in the salad although here I must admit that the greens were a little tired. (It seemed that they may have been dressed a little too far in advance of service).

That being said, we would definately enjoy returning there. The menu had many truly imaginative items that tempted us and our main courses and dessert, in this instance, were superb. The service was attentive, friendly and not overly intrustive, and the room is beautiful.

I hope the duck seven ways is on the menu next time... :smile: