• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Interesting eats in Parksville/Qualicum

Greatbigsea

Hello,

Looking for some help in finding good places to eat in Parksville/Qualicum as we will be there for several days in Sept. We are travelling with a three year old, so nothing REALLY fancy, but are worried that we will be stuck with McD's and Timmy Ho's for four days - :blink: UGH!! I have done searches for Nanaimo, so feel prepared there, but cannot find anything much for Qualicum/Parksville.

Any help would be much appreciated :smile:

TIA,

Barb

Small world. I will be staying a few days at some place called Tigh-na-mara in Parksville. I think the property has a restaurant but I am looking fr something close by that will be suitable for me, the wife and two small kids. We have done Keg, Milestones, Earls, White Spot to death and want to try something else while we are away.

Any suggestions ?

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Didn't eat out the last time I was there. So I can't reccommend any dining options. But since your with kids, I thought I should point out that Parksville has a wicked mini-golf. Better than any other I've been to, 100 times better than that big silly place in Abbotsford. I definately reccomend an afternoon there.

There are a couple of coffee bar/sandwich places in Qualicum that are good...and there is of course the fabulous grocery store...and I mean that sincerely! I've rarely seen such a good store in such a small town. They have a huge selection of prepared food, and a fantastic deli section, as well as a restaurant area where you can do breakfast, lunch and dinner...chinese food, pizza, great wonton soup, paninni etc...pretty much something for everyone. Even the bakery is good there...and they have a monster selection of pastries. I highly recommend checking it out. It's smack in the centre of town, and you can't miss it. I think it's actually called Qualicum Foods.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

If you're staying at Tigh-na-mara - they used to do an absolutely killer Sunday brunch - provided you like seafood. And I heartily second the mini golf - particularly the toilet-puck blue water traps :biggrin: As to where else to eat - this link might help (at least it's a list of options).

http://tourismmall.victoria.bc.ca/aavanisle/pqeats.htm

I highly recommend checking it out.   It's smack in the centre of town, and you can't miss it.  I think it's actually called Qualicum Foods.

It's called Quality Foods and it is fantastic. Upstairs there is a Starbucks :hmmm: and a cool kitchen shop.

My nephews love eating there- perfect place for kids!

Edited by kimabima (log)

Thanks, so much, I knew that you guys would help me out!! I am glad to hear about the grocery store, as we are staying in a cabin and will do quite alot of our cooking there. Perhaps the Sun brunch will be in order as well, and then we will burn off all of the calories with a rousing game of mini golf - sounds like a great day to me!! Any other suggestions are welcome........

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize you hadn't been there before! Here's the website for the Old Country Market, located in Coombs (I thought it was called Coombs, oops!). I don't remember whether they have a restaurant or not, but you can find all sorts of goodies there. The ice cream (Island Farms, I think?) cones there are HUGE, a meal in themselves (well, maybe not for Ling :wink: ) Plus you can point out the grazing goats on the roof to your little one :laugh:

There are maps on the above page, but they're not very clear... This is more specific (from britishcolumbia.com): "Coombs is located on the Port Alberni/Tofino Highway 4, 5.5 miles (9 km) west of Parksville on Vancouver Island.".

Try "The Shady Rest" in Qualicum. It's right on the water (right over the water at high tide). Last time I was there (a while ago, admittedly) they had really basic fish and chips, burgers etc. The view is worth it.

http://shadyrest.ca

Drive into Nanaimo and go to Delicados North. It's in a strip mall just south of Woodgrove Mall. You can get a great take out meal of tortilla chips, fresh yummy salsa, chipotle sauce, various crunchy fresh salads and hummous and all kinds of wraps and enchiladas.

http://www.delicados-deli.com

Quality Foods is good but so is Thrifty Foods (another island chain). Thriftys has far better meat - lots of prepared kebabs etc.

Finally there is a place called the Landing at Pacific Shores just south of Parksville. It has a website. I haven't been there yet but am curious - looks like seafood. Might be a bit "fine dining" if you know what I mean.

http://www.pacific-shores.com/landing_west_coast_grill.html

Edited by Brenda (log)

i would check out herons restaurant in the quality inn bayside resort. absolutely beautiful oceanfront view, mid priced west coast cuisine. open for breaky, lunch and dinner - and awesome sunday brunch. they also have a sports pub on site if that's your mood.

www.qualityresortparksville.com

if you're up there at the end of the month, they're doing a import winemakers dinner - september 29th. they have a series that runs throughout the year - i've been up to every one now... :)

Ummm, I will try not to......what is Coombs??  Forgive my ignorance, I am not from the Island....

Coombs is a funky marketplace with goats on the roof. Sort of a hippie hipster deli, store, eating area etc....you can find some good eats - ice cream, bakery, deli, smoked salmon and groceries, tons of cheap dishes, indian silks, kimonos etc. Well worth a trip with the kiddies. There's lots of shops outside the market with the typical souveniers. Dont' take the kids in the hat store, he's got filthy rude greeting cards on display :smile:

It's just a bit out of Qualicum...ask anyone, they all know where!

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Once again, THANKS!!!! I believe that a trip to Coombs is definitely in order, as my 3 yo is THRILLED with the idea of watching goats on a roof, and the thought that he could eat ice cream while doing this has almost put him over the edge :laugh: It will make the whole trip worthwhile for him :raz: so thanks for the suggestions

• 1 year later...