• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Picnic - Gourmet Take Out/Catering, Emerson

Anonymouze

based on the chef's credentials my guess is that she could do very well with longer hours and not only doing lunch.

Sure, but maybe she also wants to have a life.

Am I a jerk for reading a thread on my own place? Hope not! Like to think Picnic and my crew are just fun; You're right! I need a life. However, we are seriously pondering staying open until 7 when we aren't booked. I go back and forth. We cook dinners every night for a select group (read the Priests down the street); others ask... I'm 42 years old and I get tired. I'm there at 7 a.m. starting lunch and the catered lunches. I want to have the fun of doing dinner. Can't figure out if it's worth it. Any advice, as always, is so darned appreciated....

Actually my vote would be don't do it. Take time for yourself; make sure that you are sufficiently replenished and taking care of yourself.

My stomach would be less happy but that is not the most important thing.

Maybe you can make stuff for "pick up" with 2 hours advance notice for home "rewarming" or keep it in a warmer - so that it is still fresh, and just have someone "sit the store" and collect the money/charge card info so it's "light work" for the 2 or 3 hours that you stay open 2 or 3 nights a week.

(I almost feel like volunteering my time in exchange for teaching me how to cook things, except I would probably eat all the bread and good food you have!) :shock:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Thanks for the ideas. Still pondering, after a long day of lobster rolls and, of course, corned beef and cabbage. Smoking a butt over the weekend! Relaxing and will really debate this whole dinner thingie.

Maybe you can make stuff for "pick up" with 2 hours advance notice for home "rewarming" or keep it in a warmer - so that it is still fresh, and just have someone "sit the store" and collect the money/charge card info so it's "light work" for the 2 or 3 hours that you stay open 2 or 3 nights a week.

(I almost feel like volunteering my time in exchange for teaching me how to cook things, except I would probably eat all the bread and good food you have!)  :shock:

Charity begins at home!

(I almost feel like volunteering my time in exchange for teaching me how to cook things, except I would probably eat all the bread and good food you have!)  :shock:

Charity begins at home!

Hubby was under the misconception that I was offering to cook! Au contraire! LOL... the day I can cook well is the day I - well - cook well! :shock::laugh: I was offering my time up to Christine in exchange for her teaching a neophyte how to cook rice without burning it, boil corn without popping it etc! :biggrin:

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

Keep tuned. We're doing a "Master Chef" series at Picnic with a bunch of CIA and ACF Certified Master Chefs, and of course, me, doing a bunch of fun stuff...I'll post when we iron out the details, but we'll have room for about 20 guests in my kitchen and we'll cook, you'll eat and learn...example as of now...crown roast of lamb for easter....

Thanks everybody for giving a darned about little Picnic. We appreciate your support!

Keep tuned.  We're doing a "Master Chef" series at Picnic with a bunch of CIA and ACF Certified Master Chefs, and of course, me, doing a bunch of fun stuff...I'll post when we iron out the details, but we'll have room for about 20 guests in my kitchen and we'll cook, you'll eat and learn...example as of now...crown roast of lamb for easter....

Thanks everybody for giving a darned about little Picnic. We appreciate your support!

Sounds fun. I'd definitely be interested! There is not enough of that type of instruction/demo/hands-on in the Bergen County area. (I know, Chef Central does it.)

Keep tuned.  We're doing a "Master Chef" series at Picnic with a bunch of CIA and ACF Certified Master Chefs, and of course, me, doing a bunch of fun stuff...I'll post when we iron out the details, but we'll have room for about 20 guests in my kitchen and we'll cook, you'll eat and learn...example as of now...crown roast of lamb for easter....

Definitely count me in for "passover" lamb. :raz: also if you ever put a recipe up for your sweet potato puree, please let me know! I just love it and I'm as anti-veggie as you can get! I have bad "green aversions" based on smell more than taste, with very few exceptions.

Didn't you have some kind of cooking demo this weekend? How did it go? Will there be another one soon close to Paramus? I think I'll be calling you for lunch this week it's less crazy than last week and I'm getting "Picnic" withdrawal... I'm seeing ANTS! (grin/wink) :blink::wacko::laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

Christine - Any updates on the Master Chef series. Just wondering if you were still planning on doing this before Easter??? Sorry to be a nudge, but I'm interested in attending (and need new ideas for Easter).

Christine - Any updates on the Master Chef series. Just wondering if you were still planning on doing this before Easter??? Sorry to be a nudge, but I'm interested in attending (and need new ideas for Easter).

We're still trying to get it together. It may not be in time for easter, but feel free to PM me for some great Easter recipes!

I won't ask about Passover which comes BEFORE easter since most non-jewish chefs wouldn't know a matzohball from tzimmes... however congratulations on the newspaper articles last week and this week. Keep up the great work!

Click on the bergen record - go to food area - then click on news then scroll down a wee bit and go to marketplace: April 2006

The link doesn't work from outside it seems!

So here's a copy from The Bergen Record April 2006:

Who says lunch can't be special?

Growing up in Fair Lawn's Radburn section, Christine E. Nunn watched Julia Child cooking on TV, then marveled as her mother, Carol, re-created the dishes for dinner.

Today, Nunn is the one at the stove in her homey Emerson storefront called Picnic, serving over-the-top lunch sandwiches, assembling complete picnics (with a wine suggestion) and catering celebrations for six to 250.

"We have a good time here," says Nunn, who recently named sandwiches after vice presidents and gave 10 percent discounts to customers who could name the correct president.

Her lunch menu changes daily, with most items $7 or less. You might find a wrap of grilled leg of lamb, garlicky yogurt, feta cheese, olives and cooked red onions or the "obscene" cheesesteak: filet mignon poached in butter until very rare, with oozing Tillamook cheddar cheese and sauteed peppers and onions on Balthazar focaccia. Every Friday, she serves a traditional lobster roll.

In 2002, Nunn quit her job as a development director for a non-profit and, at age 37, enrolled in the Culinary Institute of America. She's cooked with such luminaries as Patricia Wells and Jacques Pepin, catered for U.N. missions and once reviewed restaurants for The Record.

Say the word and she'll cook for you.

Picnic, 180 Kinderkamack Road, Emerson; (201) 262-5505 and http://www.picniccaterers.com

11 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays.

Edited by Anonymouze (log)

We're still trying to get it together. It may not be in time for easter, but feel free to PM me for some great Easter recipes!

Thank you Christine. Whenever you do it, I'd love to attend. I haven't had the pleasure of visiting Picnic Caterers yet because I work in Morris County from 8 to 5, but I'm off Good Friday and looking forward to finally coming in to get something for lunch then (after hearing sooo many good things.)

Thank you Christine. Whenever you do it, I'd love to attend. I haven't had the pleasure of visiting Picnic Caterers yet because I work in Morris County from 8 to 5, but I'm off Good Friday and looking forward to finally coming in to get something for lunch then (after hearing sooo many good things.)