• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Picnic - Gourmet Take Out/Catering, Emerson

Anonymouze

Tuesday evenings in September, Picnic will be offering cooking classes. Up to 10 attendees can come, with a bargain price of $20 per person. The classes will be about an hour each. I'll be posting the menu a little sooner to the events, but count on a nice braise, a soup and bread class, and definately a sides course.

Christine, that sounds like great fun, let me know when you want us to sign up for the classes.

Best regards... Alan Z. (the guy with the Kamados and BBQ Gurus), eating your lobster rolls whenever Dumpling brings them by...

Hi Christine,

The girls and I loved our lunch!!! We all teach at the same school and WISHED you were closer so we could come for lunch every day!!!!!!!!!!! They came for lunch last week too, when I was on vacation. It takes us about 30 minutes to get to you so it would be a little difficult during the regular school year!! :sad: We especially enjoyed the crab cake sandwich and the chicken salad melt!

We will be back before the end of summer!! :biggrin: Maybe several times!!!!! :laugh:

Thanks!

Lori

Lori

• 3 weeks later...

For anybody interested, we have plenty of free copies of Edible New Jersey. The summer issue is lovely, and it looks like it's going to be a great addition for all who enjoy food, especially local seasonal produce.

• 1 month later...
Tuesday evenings in September, Picnic will be offering cooking classes. Up to 10 attendees can come, with a bargain price of $20 per person. The classes will be about an hour each. I'll be posting the menu a little sooner to the events, but count on a nice braise, a soup and bread class, and definately a sides course.

Christine - Just wondering if Picnic is still planning on offering cooking classes this fall??

Yes, indeedy. Starting in mid-October, when we're done with all the weddings we've been catering... I'll post as soon as I have the schedule completed. Definately the first class is a braise, and the second is soups and salads.

• 5 months later...

Hi guys!

Two things!

1) Picnic will be three next week! Thanks for all your support, we're making over the hump!

2) March 18 we are doing a benefit again for baby Kaley Smith who is still hanging in there! It will be a dinner again, and as soon as I have my celebrity chef locked in I will post more, but if you are around, and would like to come, tickets are $100 and made payable to Kaley Smith Fund, United Way of Bergen County!

Thanks,

Christine

• 3 weeks later...
Hi guys!

Two things!

1) Picnic will be three next week! Thanks for all your support, we're making over the hump!

2) March 18 we are doing a benefit again for baby Kaley Smith who is still hanging in there! It will be a dinner again, and as soon as I have my celebrity chef locked in I will post more, but if you are around, and would like to come, tickets are $100 and made payable to Kaley Smith Fund, United Way of Bergen County!

Thanks,

Christine

Hi Christine!

Wondering if tickets are still available. Couldn't get there last year but hoping to this year. Sounds like much fun.

WTF

Hi guys!

Two things!

Thanks,

Christine

Yepper! Tix are still available and Sara Moulton and I have come up with a swell menu; a mix of comfort food in honor of the baby, and some really nifty new stuff. Hope people can come, and I can't wait to see you guys!

Hi Christine!

Wondering if tickets are still available. Couldn't get there last year but hoping to this year. Sounds like much fun.

WTF

• 4 months later...

For all our dear friends that come in to Picnic:

I just wanted to let you know that dear Aunt Joan, who faithfully volunteered her time working the front counter and greating all with a smile died suddenly last week. Picnic will never be the same....

• 3 weeks later...
For all our dear friends that come in to Picnic:

I just wanted to let you know that dear Aunt Joan, who faithfully volunteered her time working the front counter and greating all with a smile died suddenly last week. Picnic will never be the same....

My Deepest Condolences to the picnic family and her family. Some people while easy to remember are never replaceable. Also I miss all you folks up there and hope that you'll be down this way in the DC/VA area to visit one day!

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

• 9 months later...

For anybody interested, Picnic's team will be guest chef on Wed. June 17th at Uptown, Montclair, for a four course Italian wine pairing dinner. I'm planning on cooking up some scallops, a pasta with porcini, truffles and cream sauce, classic Steak Florentine and more. $45 includes wine. www.uptownmontclair.com

• 1 year later...

*BUMP* Update! We went last month to Picnic the Restaurant in Fairlawn NJ (their new digs!) We were not disappointed! (Here is their new menu link!) http://www.picnictherestaurant.com/menu.htm We went with my inlaws but it was still enjoyable. -grin-

We were served a delicious seafood appetizer/amuse bouche of Shrimp, Salmon & Oysters

My MIL ordered: Café salad, spring greens, spicy pralines, aged Gouda, berries, sherry vinaigrette... Jeff & I shared these appetizers with the table: Smoked salmon napoleon with apples, goat cheese and cucumber caper dressing ALSO Seared foie gras with cabernet poached pears, blackberries and fig balsamic reduction. The foie gras was made perfectly here, after tasting a HORRIBLE burnt foie gras on the Grand Princess the previous month, this was a delicious treat.

For the main course my MIL got - Some absolutely delicious "old school" trout almondine that was so flaky & soft & delicious I had to have a 2nd forkful of hers... my father in law got a hanger steak type dish with a side of garlic mashed potatoes & hubby got Roasted half Long Island duck with blackberry pan jus with a side of garlic roasted asparagus. I picked a forkful from hubbys too. We all shared 2 desserts being so full & both desserts were heaven!

Thank you to Christine, Annabel Schlair & Javi & the rest of the staff for making this a memorable & delicious evening. P. S. At the next table was the Mayor of Paramus so we were in good company with not just the staff but with fellow customers-KUDOS on having great food & fine staff!

Edited by Anonymouze (log)

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.