• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Picnic - Gourmet Take Out/Catering, Emerson

Anonymouze

As my last post stated... we did decide to give the tiny catering contract to Christine I was torn between three places but our Realtor said she's gotten things from Christine before and has been in love with the items.

My realtor wasn't overjoyed yesterday, maybe she rolled out of the wrong side of the bed? ...but all in all the feedback was very positive from guests!

I sat my own "Realtor open house" for about 45 minutes - when she had left to get her email and calls and returned - because when I stopped by to go to the restroom after spending a while in the park with my dogs, and she was not here.

One woman commented oh that sandwich looks great what is it? I said I believe it is Turkey and Swiss with a Cranberry Mayo on a Walnut Balthazar Roll she said OH I LOVE Balthazar, now I have to try Picnic, then the other women with her asked me for the address so I told them all where it is. So I mentioned to about 10-12 people that I entertained yesterday that the sandwiches were from Picnic in Emerson.

Thankfully there were 3 wraps and 1 sandwich left so I had supper last night, lunch today and I'll have supper tonight! Hubby took what looked like an Asparagus and Mushroom w/Arugula and Greens wrap to work for lunch today.

Thank goodness we're running back down to the DC area to view some homes tomorrow... need to walk off some of the calories. :laugh:

If you have an event big or small you should definitely give Christine Nunn a call.

God I'll miss living in NJ but what we've seen down there is lovely too! :wub:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

I was torn between three places but our Realtor said she's gotten things from Christine before and has been in love with the items.

After your many postings about how wonderful Picnic is, I'm surprised you were "torn between three places" and made your decision based on what your realtor said as opposed to your own prior positive experiences with Picnic. Could you elaborate?

My only dilemma was type of food best for the realtors and "serving style" since I would not be there as a hostess and wanted it to be something easy to eat.

If I went with hot-chafing dishes I was worried about the time and cost involved. I didn't want to go to non-mainstream. Like Thai/Indian food. Other than that it was a no-brainer that MY preference was to order from Picnic. Hubby was thinking generic supermarket food perhaps also the realtor mentioned that she rarely spends over a certain budget and so with that in mind we had to all agree. So hubby said go with what I feel is best and I did feel Picnic was the best choice, which as I said was my original thought on this.

Let's agree to not disagree?!

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

Are you just talking about food for a Realtor open house during the week? The whole point to serving food is that they are held at lunchtime and you'll get more of us to come if there's some food. :wink: But, there's definitely no need to set up hot chafing dishes. Most just serve deli sandwich wraps from Costo or the supermarket, so anything better than that is most appreciated. A lot of the Asian realtors serve sushi (usually just at 3:1 ratio of california rolls and tuna rolls). Once, I made a quiche in a rectangular pan and cut it in small pieces, that was scarfed up. Fruit salad is nice too. But, like I said, the whole point is to be able to say "lunch" on the MLS tour list. :laugh: It's better not to serve anything messy on a Sunday public open house, kids will leave sticky or crumbly messes. But, having some water or lemonade out on a hot day is good.

Let's agree to not disagree?!

Huh? Who's disagreeing (or is that not disagreeing?) :blink: I asked you to elaborate on what you were saying since it wasn't consistent with the things you had said in prior postings. Needed more info, which your next post provided.

Edited by whitetrufflechick (log)

Yes, it was for a Realtor open house last week. My house is officially on the market so if you or anyone on egullet know someone who wants a gorgeous center hall col in river vale with 4BR and 2.5BA (3750 sq ft+!) on 1/2 acre you can PM me or email me! Glad I clarified it for anyone who misunderstood. :raz:

If anybody is interested, and if you are, let me know in some fashion, be it PM, e-mail or phone, Picnic is going to have a cheese and wine tasting (our second one) Wednesday May 24 from 5:30 - 7 p.m. We'll be tasting some interesting raw milk cheeses, some triple cremes from France, some nifty italians, and some wonderful British cheeses. Free. Must reserve. Limited to first 30 guests...so, just thought I'd mention it. Among those I want people to taste are Abondance - raw milk france grand cru - Delice 80 percent butter fat, france - grand cru - the rest are surprises...again, let me know in advance cause I don't have a lot of room and I'm letting e-gullet know before I let my clients know...

Nifty, that!

CN

christine, do you partner with a wine store or distributor for these things?  if so, who for this one?

I pick what I think will work well...this time with wines available next door to me at Cork and Keg...

We still have a couple of spots for our cheese tasting tomorrow. Let me know if you want to join in the fun.

I was totally planning to go on Wednesday (I think you meant that not tomorrow?!) - however we sold our house in record time! 18 days! WOOHOO!

So we will be driving down to look at homes in the MD/VA area and perhaps write a LITTLE check, so I will not be able to make it as planned, sorry. :sad:

I hope to see you again soon however and taste your delicious food until we move... Thank you again Christine, Javi and the rest of the great staff at Picnic.

We still have a couple of spots for our cheese tasting tomorrow. Let me know if you want to join in the fun.

Would you accept a walk in before 7:00 p.m.?? Exact timing is problem coming from Morristown during rush hour :wacko: . But I would certainly like to make it if I can. Your cheeses are awesome!!!

Heck, I'll take walk in space from any of you all... See you Tomorrow (that would be WEDNESDAY)!

I'm doing a brand new raw sheep from italy wrapped in ash; a raw cow from Italy, another raw cow from France, a 80 percent butterfat from france, a great cheddar from England, two gouda-like cheeses from Germany, and from the good old usa a cheddar and a blue...just a hint of our tastes for tomorrow!

Give a call if you can make it at 201-262-5505!

Due to an unforseen change of events and plans...

I went to the Picnic Wine 'n' Cheese Tasting... it was all very good and I discovered 3 new cheeses I really like! One is called "Once upon a time"? another is called Le Petit Basque? and the third Le something or other... LOL (had about 5 little 1/4 glasses of wine and I'm growing fuzzy - I'm a cheap drunk!)

Anyhow I'm sure Christine Nunn can tell you all better than I what she featured.

Also Congratulations Christine and everyone at Picnic for making the Feature Page in the Food Section of today's Bergen Record! With all the positive press and word of mouth you may never need a P.R. person! :laugh::biggrin:

Keep up the good work and again thank you for a marvelous, delicious lunch.

Edited by Anonymouze (log)

A few people PMed me asking about what the cheeses were we tasted...

A few included...Le Delice Bougoune...this is a triple creme from france. Melts like butter.

Abondance - Raw cow milk Grand Cru from France

Pratamagna - raw cow from the Venito

"Once Upon a Time" - sheep's milk in ash from Emilga Romano (where reggiano is from)

5-County - a cheddar from Somerset

The others are a little more mundane...

On one other note, if Picnic could expand its space by 1200 feet, and have space to rent for Private parties, allow chef's tasting dinners, and offer a cozy spot for lunch, how do you guys think it would go over. I trust your judgement, and have started making these plans, but am hesitant...

All comments, as always, appreciated!

On one other note, if Picnic could expand its space by 1200 feet, and have space to rent for Private parties, allow chef's tasting dinners, and offer a cozy spot for lunch, how do you guys think it would go over. I trust your judgement, and have started making these plans, but am hesitant...

having never been to your place i will say with some degree of certainy that i'd be more likely to go if i could sit down to eat. being open at a time when i'm not at work would probalby help, too. :smile: namely, saturday.

You've got to know that you're speaking to the choir here and not a representative slice of your customer base in Bergen County. Also, there are so few details, how could anyone offer practical advice? Absent that, let the cheerleading begin!!

If the expansion is to the left or the right of the current spot, I would think parking is a bit of a problem without a friendly parking deal with Hot Dog Heaven and revisions to the lot (so that the space in front of HDH and in front of Picnic are not divided). Parking is major, major.

A nice benefit of extended hours at Picnic would be to introduce the shop to people who work in New York City. Along those lines, I think tasting dinners would have to start at a time when commuters can make it home. Are there any plans for small cooking classes?

[With Chef Central on Route 17, a new Trader Joe's expected near Office Depot at the Midland Avenue exit of Route 17 North in Paramus, and a Whole Foods expected in the Bergen Mall area on Route 4, things are looking up for the area's food enthusiasts. It's a good time to be cooking and eating in this area.]

~ KenP

I was fortunate enough the other day to get to taste your delectable lunch offerings. Yum! Even the "typical" fare was out of this world. Yummy!! I will definitely be back.

About your cheeses from the tasting event, are these available for purchase? I'd once had some sort of Grand Cru from Fox & Obel in Chicago (that was a lot of fun to explore) but I haven't found it here. I'd actually forgotten about it if not your mentioning it. I'd love to get my grubby hands on that again!

As for your expansion ideas, that sounds great but I'd be most concerned about parking as well. Even with an expanded lot, being so close to the stop light could be a bottleneck in and out of the lot which could make parking that much harder. Can you expand into the rear thus making it accessible for both cars and people on both sides? I say rooftop dining with an herb garden to boot! ;) Meanwhile, the scent of fried hot dogs and pork fried rice waft over from the restaurants next door....

The parking is a nightmare! That's why for the tasting dinners and private events (you'd be able to rent the space for showers, cocktail parties, etc!) we'll offer valet parking. Thanks for the suggestions so far...

In case I forgot to mention - Congratulations for making the First page of the Food section last week. If this isn't the best week for a Picnic (from PICNIC!) I don't know what would be considered one! I hope you folks there all make it through this week and this summers heat - this week is supposed to be brutal so no doubt I'll be ordering in ALOT from your place and other locals as well. :cool:

For those that can't get to Picnic when we are open. Kilroy's in Glen Rock ( a little mom and pop grocery that we locals love!) are starting, on Sunday, to carry a few Picnic items:

Picnic Cobb

Chicken salad with pecans and grapes

Curried chicken salad

Barbecue chicken salad

New potato salad

and a few others that I am still working out...

Three easy questions?! I think!

1) Do you have an address or web link for them and/or hours? Thanks!

2) Is this the same Chicken Curry Salad I ordered today or in the past? (sans Pineapple :raz: ) Because I really REALLY like that one alot.

3) Can you find a store more local to me so if you're not open I can get my fix?

• 3 weeks later...

* I'm only bumping this because maybe my previous post wasn't read?! *

Also will you be having any chicken curry sandwiches next week with all this heat something nice n cool I'm sure would work for not just me but anyone?!

Lastly I know you mentioned some kind of "in-house" cooking demo - if so when? I am hoping to squeeze some time to go before we move from NJ!!!!!