• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Picnic - Gourmet Take Out/Catering, Emerson

Anonymouze

I for one would prefer know I'm getting the best food possible, when it's available.

It would seem logical to let customers know in advance if the place will be closed so they are not plannig ahead. No message or anything. Good Friday or not the place may or not be closed with no warning. After a few times it is not worth it for me.

I for one would prefer know I'm getting the best food possible, when it's available.

It would seem logical to let customers know in advance if the place will be closed so they are not plannig ahead. No message or anything. Good Friday or not the place may or not be closed with no warning. After a few times it is not worth it for me.

Hi Bergen:

First off, we've not been closed on a Friday since Christmas week. Only once, actually, when I had a stomach virus...First week in February. I remember because I was so darned sick. I don't believe in infecting my customers, and I will not open if I am not overseeing the whole shebang. If I have germs I don't cook. Not sure when you were there, I'm confused! We've been doing lobster rolls every Friday since the first week in February.

As to your other point, we've never comped a meal to a reviewer; as a former reviewer I don't work that way. I know better and I don't need to give stuff away...although last week we gave free lunch to all our good customers as a thank you for being regulars. No sin there. Just nice. The Record did NOT do a review of Picnic; it was just a blurb, a feature...No comps, no nothing. As a matter of fact, we knew that article was coming out because they interviewed me. They took photos. They fact checked. And, because I used to be a critic for them, I never sent a press release or asked for an article. I'm not that type of girl, and I kind of am surprised at your hostility towards a place you've never been and at a person you've never met.

We're a tiny little place with a heck of a lot of integrity. We close if we cannot produce a great product. We close if we're doing a huge catering event because I cannot do two things to my standards at once. I do things right, so that I can sleep at night. Eat my food and then complain if you feel it is justified.

We close if we're doing a huge catering event because I cannot do two things to my standards at once. I do things right, so that I can sleep at night. Eat my food and then complain if you feel it is justified. - CN

The nerve you have of not getting yourself cloned! Also sleep is over-rated just ask me about it sometime and I'd be glad to share a sleepless morning at a local diner at 2am or 3am! I know you have integrity from speaking with you and I would not even think of questioning it. You are a nice humble chef! :biggrin:

Your food is really REALLY quite good IMHO and I was going to stop by today for your delicious Famous Steak Sandwich however I overate during our lunch party today and had a slice of cake at 5:15PM so I couldn't make it on time. I was way too full for something so good anyhow, but I'll catch you another time I hope!

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Daniel, I ordered this today from there: Curried chicken salad w/cashews, dried apricots, dried cranberries, a hint of curry, a hint of red onion, and loads of lovely chicken breast but got it on Focacchia instead of over greens... GOD it was deliciouso! You have GOT to try it sometime or check our their Lobster/Seafood EARLY (like 10am order pick up later or something!) on Fridays.

I was going to save half for supper but I just couldn't stop eating it. GAH! :biggrin:

Happy Passover and Enthusiastic Easter everyone. :wub:

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

Christine, you could do dinners if you do it by reservation only. My first restaurant was totally by reservation on Friday and Saturday nights only. I also catered and held luncheon parties at the restaurant. Gradually I had so much catering that the restaurant wasn't open enough: people give up on you when you're never open!

Sent my daughter to Notre Dame on the proceeds, which was the point.

I read your menus wistfully. :wub:

Edited by ruthcooks (log)

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Oh my I had the lobster rolls yesterday! Big chunks of lobster, not too much mayonnaise, no other added stuff - in other words yes, perfect New England lobster roll. And what made them extra special was the additional taste of the grilled spilt roll.

Ate with two others..we leaned back in our seats with a happy sigh and just allowed the taste to enchant us. Mmm, mmm.... :wub:

Tommy, man, if you read this, you have to get them. Christine, when Tommy shows up, make sure you give him a reaaaaallly good one. :biggrin:

Edited by dumpling (log)

My wife had the lobster roll yesterday at Picnic and said it was better than the one she had in 1993; in Ogunquit, Me.; sitting dockside; on our honeymoon; with our whole lives stretching out ahead of us.

Isn't that a kick in the ribs?

~ Ken P.

We also enjoyed the crab cakes, lobster salad and cheeses. It was a Great Friday round here.

My wife had the lobster roll yesterday at Picnic and said it was better than the one she had in 1993; in Ogunquit, Me.; sitting dockside; on our honeymoon; with our whole lives stretching out ahead of us.

Isn't that a kick in the ribs?

~ Ken P.

We also enjoyed the crab cakes, lobster salad and cheeses. It was a Great Friday round here.

After a kudos like that, tell her next week its on the chef!

Just wanted to write a quick review.

After reading about this place here for a while, last week I stopped in for 1st time & got a chicken caeser salad - very good, & very fresh.

Good Friday, stopped in a got the lobster roll for my wife & lobster salad for me - It was worth the drive - about 15-20 min each way. Really good value too.

Very nice people - really fresh food - I will be back aften - just wish it was slightly closer to home.

I kind of broke passover today by ordering Picnic's Curried Chicken Salad. It is quite scrumptious and I couldn't resist. I gave the bread to the dogs and put it on Matzoh. Someone remind me to ask for the recipe for this, it is really tasty. It didn't have the cashews in it today - or I got a cashew-free-serving. :wub: Either way I love the way it tastes and the bits of raisins and apricots work for me nicely in the whole flavor! Thanks folks at Picnic for makin a great lunch.

Picnic did it again... I'm going to gain 25 pounds from this good food!

I ordered “Beef Wellington wrap” — roast beast, foie gras and truffle pate, sauteed mushrooms for supper and gave my dogs most of the mushrooms since I love the flavor but not the mouthfeel of mushrooms in certain foods. I have to remember to order EARLY when they have my favorites because everytime I wait till noonish or later they run out of the best items!!!!! :blink::raz::wub:

Thankfully Christine had ONE sandwich left waiting just for little ol' me.

Also I broke my "once a week" rule to order again since it sounded great. I should have waited till tomorrow, on Fridays she always has that damned Lobster sandwich and other good seafood goodies... DAMN IT! Oh well, there's always next Friday. :biggrin:

Picnic did it again... I'm going to gain 25 pounds from this good food!

I ordered “Beef Wellington wrap” — roast beast, foie gras and truffle pate, sauteed mushrooms for supper and gave my dogs most of the mushrooms since I love the flavor but not the mouthfeel of mushrooms in certain foods.  I have to remember to order EARLY when they have my favorites because everytime I wait till noonish or later they run out of the best items!!!!!  :blink:  :raz:  :wub:

Thankfully Christine had ONE sandwich left waiting just for little ol' me.

Also I broke my "once a week" rule to order again since it sounded great.  I should have waited till tomorrow, on Fridays she always has that damned Lobster sandwich and other good seafood goodies... DAMN IT! Oh well, there's always next Friday. :biggrin:

I want to thank you all for the posts about little picnic...that's who we are. A local joint trying to turn you all on to someing a little different. Hey, stacey, tomorrow I'm doing seared foie grais over carmelized pear...just for fun. I doubt anybody will take the financial plunge, but that makes a great lunch for me! Thanks again for all your e-gullet support. Again, I'm tiny and kind of like it that way! Have a great weekend....

Better late than never with the posting, but I was able to make it to Picnic last Friday (because I had Good Friday off) for the first time and had the Lobster Roll over salad...it was abosolutely divine!!!! I really wanted to try one of each special and all the cheese selections. To be honest I'm almost sorry I went because now I know first hand had delicious Christine's food is but I can't get from Morristown to Emerson on my lunch hour. :sad:

I have to comment that I'm happy on nights that Christine doesn't post her menu till the next morning. If I see something I want to order for lunch the next day I have to dream about it... no NO... FANTASIZE until I order it for lunch. It's just purely EVIL! :shock::biggrin: Maybe I should hire her/Javi as my private chef's, nah then I'd LOSE weight, they probably wouldn't let me eat any delicious/fattening foods since they're so nice to me. :laugh::raz:

Last Friday night I had the absolute pleasure of having the crew from Picnic come into my home and create, seemingly out of thin air, the most delightful multi-course dinner party (with wine selections) as a birthday gift for my sweetheart and 5 other friends (7 total).

Taking full advantage of the convenience of e-mail, Christine and I spent the previous two-weeks plotting and planning the menu with Christine providing the bulk of ideas and me just tweaking things based on the tastes of those dining with us. As adventerous and open to new experiences as we are, some of the guests would not be as willing to try new things and the challenge was trying to accomodate them as well. This was the final menu:

pre-dinner goodies: Dates two ways: Stuffed with boursin/wrapped in bacon. Jammin ham bites: St. Andre cheese, dibble of prosciutto and dibble of raspberry peach champagne jam in barquette.

Amuse Bouche: A trio of tartars, salmon, spicy tuna, scallop with Wasabi Tobiko

First Course: Salad tossed with fresh crab and herbs de Provence

Second Course: Carpaccio of tenderloin with a basil and garlic infused olive oil

Third Course: Shrimp stuffed with lobster, asparagus and a sherry vinaigrette

Fourth Course: Duet of seared duck breast and Hudson Valley Foie Gras over carmelized pears, balsamic blackberry reduction

Fifth Course: A trio of cheeses: Hirkenstaak; Delice and Abondance

Dessert: Panna Cotta with fresh berries, Trio of chocolate mousse

'nuff said? :-)

Both Christine and Chef Michele were the ultimate perfectionists paying such great attention to detail,showing up with a flat of flowers for plate enhancements, as well as everything else that they needed including cooking utensils, pots, etc. (Btw, I can rewrite the menu so accurately as provided at each place setting a lovely tiny menu with hand-burnt edges. Very sweet touch.) The quality and preparation of each dish was first-rate and even the less adventerous guests were delighted in trying new foods enticed by the smells from the kitchen and the striking appearance of the dishes placed before them.

Wait staff (well, one very hard-working young waitress) was provided by Picnic as well and there is NOTHING like having a dinner in your own dining room and not having to prepare, serve or clean-up. Heck, she even set the table for me! I must also mention that my kitchen was left cleaner and more in order than its ever been before!

Brava to Christine and her Picnic crew! A week has passed and we are all still talking about what a wonderful evening we all had.

Christine I am hoping to perhaps hire you for a smallish catering job for an important occasion in the near future. I'll email you with details but it sounded like you did a great job for WTC and I'm sure you'll do an even MORE great job (is this possible?!) for my small needs. Keep up the great work. I just got home from a househunting trek to the DC area with hubby so I am BUSH ----- ED...