• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Picnic - Gourmet Take Out/Catering, Emerson

Anonymouze

Hello everyone...

I just got back from the dentist and stopped on my way home to pick up supper. Christine Nunn Chef/Owner of Picnic enthusiastically and helpfully assisted me in making choices for supper that were "tooth" friendly tonight!

I had the most delicious dishes!

Fluke in a reduction of beurre blanc :wub: (some savories... garlic?) and spinach :unsure: and also I ordered the -- Risotto with fresh chanterelles in a white wine sauce of some sort (she showed me the mushrooms and they were beauties and I HATE mushrooms and spinach too heh but I didn't tell her that and I ate it ALL up with my husband YUM!!)

Oh my goodness I have to tell you all, it melted in my mouth like... mmm a delicious sorbet but better! The taste, the texture, the smells, the look!

No wonder she won awards this woman knows how to cook and she makes it all while you wait or if you live nearby she'll even deliver!

(She offered seeing I wasn't myself but I said it's ok it'll take my mind off of things reading her interesting books there and looking at all the little jams and sides she has for sale.)

This diamond in a location that is hard to notice needs to be tasted! AND the best part is my freshly drilled tooth didn't even hurt! Accolades for the great food and the kindness of Christine Nunn! I wholeheartedly recommend trying lunch or supper from there anytime you can.

Have a great end of August! SC

** oops edited to give you this link in case you want it! http://www.picniccaterers.com/chef.htm **

Edited by Anonymouze (log)

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Oops also Christine Nunn / Picnic has a wine & cheese? tasting coming up on Sept 14th 2005 I think? You may want to call her to ask.

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

• 4 months later...

Jason and I finally made it over to Picnic the other day. Wow, what fabulous food. Those of you lucky enough to be in delivery range should take advantage. The only problem for those of us not, is finding a place to eat while the food is still hot. We just stayed and chatted with the staff and Christine. Anyway, you know what that could mean, so get there now before they are inundated! :wink:

Oh, I love it that they have a different daily menu every day, updated on their website, click Stacey's link above to check it out.

They're open until 5 except for when they are closed. That is, if they have a big catering event, they may also close for lunch that day and it will be announced on the daily page of the website. They may also close when they run out of everything, so it is best to call ahead. 201-262-5505.

Thanks, Rachel.

I can't wait to try Picnic. Their picnic basket options on their website look terrific once the warm weather comes (then again, an indoor picnic can sometimes be very nice too) .

Hey! Let me know when you come. Ask for Christine, and I'll pop out of the kitchen and introduce myself. Thanks for the interest.

Thanks, Rachel.

I can't wait to try Picnic. Their picnic basket options on their website look terrific once the warm weather comes (then again, an indoor picnic can sometimes be very nice too) .

WTC did you get a chance to go there yet? If so I need details! LOL... I don't want everyone here on EG to think I'm some ranting sandwich craving curmudgeon! :raz:

I ordered the "Godfather" today - I try to order once every 1 to 2 weeks when I have time from all the local places at least once and some even twice!

I won't talk about it lest we drool on our keyboards but suffice it to say the sandwich was very delicious!

I heard she may be making some "Butter chicken" tomorrow if she does I'll be in trouble because I try to make it a rule not to order or go to the same place two days in a row. Hmm, maybe I will just have to break my rule just this one time!

Curlz and anyone local to the Paramus area, you have to come by here too!

Thanks, Rachel.

WTC did you get a chance to go there yet? If so I need details! LOL... I don't want everyone here on EG to think I'm some ranting sandwich craving curmudgeon! :raz:

I ordered the "Godfather" today - I try to order once every 1 to 2 weeks when I have time from all the local places at least once and some even twice!

I won't talk about it lest we drool on our keyboards but suffice it to say the sandwich was very delicious!

I heard she may be making some "Butter chicken" tomorrow if she does I'll be in trouble because I try to make it a rule not to order or go to the same place two days in a row. Hmm, maybe I will just have to break my rule just this one time!

Curlz and anyone local to the Paramus area, you have to come by here too!

No, sadly, not yet. I work too far from Emerson to get lunch there (Teaneck) and its usually closed by the time dinner rolls around. Maybe this weekend. I literally live five minutes from the place.

I caught Ms. Nunn's cooking demonstration at Chef Central recently and hope to make my first visit to her lunch spot on Thursday. I look forward to the morning menu.

~ Ken P.

• 3 weeks later...
I caught Ms. Nunn's cooking demonstration at Chef Central recently and hope to make my first visit to her lunch spot on Thursday. I look forward to the morning menu.

~ Ken P.

Did you ever get to her place yet?

I was thinking of asking either Picnic or some other local place to make a small "2 course set up" for lunch for my bday as my boss wants me to choose a place! I want to get a choice of salad, soup or appetizer and a main course (we have the drinks and dessert) I'm growing weary of the "chinese food", "middle eastern food" or "italian food" choices but I know he's on a budget of average 7.50 to 10. pp.

Also a question to Ms C Nunn, any more demonstrations or events coming up in your future? Curious minds want to know!

Yes, I went that very day and had a Cubano. What a great sandwich. I'm not sure what the bread was, but it was even better than the bread in the Cuban sandwiches I became familiar with when I lived in Miami. That bread could be very hard. This was firm but easy to bite through. If I recall correctly, the pickles in the sandwich were whole rather than sliced; I thought that was unusual, but it worked tastewise. (They sort of rolled to one side of the sandwich, however, so there wasn't a taste in every bite.)

My wife and my bro-in-law returned the next Friday and the Friday after that. In the past two weeks I've had Ms. Nunn's meatloaf, her short ribs, her sour cream mashed potatoes and her mac and cheese (a white version). My wife thought the split pea soup last Friday was terrific. She really went on and on about it.

I love this place. I do my duty and praise the place through word of mouth, but privately I hope it doesn't get overrun. I also love the lack of pretension, and the fact that there's a cheapo balogna sandwich on the menu sometimes, even though I would never get it. It just makes me feel good that it's there, you know?

An addendum: My 4-year-old is now hooked on the onion rings from Hot Dog Heaven, which is next door, so we've included them in our food runs.

~ Ken P.

~ Ken P.

Did you ever get to her place yet?

Edited by Kape (log)

Hubby likes the pulled pork sandwiches at hot dog heaven and I like their pierogies with cooked onions and sour cream YUM (haven't had that in a while) also I like their italian hot-dogs they are actually quite good with a side of cheese fries there! YUM! :biggrin:

Fortunately (or unfortunately) I love the food on that whole corner since it's a block from our company office, which I visit once a month and about 5 miles or less from my house! (lucky me!) :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

* BUMP *

Happy Anniversary to the folks at Picnic - Here's to another great year!

(P.S. I would love to come to celebrate with you but may not be able to.)

Happy Anniversary Christine! Thanks for a great lunch last week when I came in with a devoted "Picnic" friend. I can plunk down the money, but have only a tiny inkling as to the incredible effort, skill, and devotion that it takes to run a business like "Picnic". Your enthusiasm is VERY clear, just by looking at the different menu every day, (a Herculean task), and from your great conversation at the Chinese New Year celebration at China 46.

Congratulations! (I'll be off again at the end of April, so I hope to see you then!) :biggrin:

Happy Anniversary Christine!  Thanks for a great lunch last week when I came in with a devoted "Picnic" friend.  I can plunk down the money, but have only a tiny inkling as to the incredible effort, skill, and devotion that it takes to run a business like "Picnic".  Your enthusiasm is VERY clear, just by looking at the different menu every day, (a Herculean task), and from your great conversation at the Chinese New Year celebration at China 46.

Congratulations!  (I'll be off again at the end of April, so I hope to see you then!) :biggrin:

Gee, thanks for the kind words. Your devoted Picnic friend was at our soiree last night. We had a little shindig to celebrate! I'm thrilled we made it through the first year and look forward with glee to another.

You can't go today, she's closed on weekends. :)

I've been holding off on these photos for a few weeks:

gallery_2_4_42284.jpg

gallery_2_4_81249.jpg

gallery_2_4_19367.jpg

Dan's Fat Sanich of the day, I believe this one had roast beef and bacon

gallery_2_4_60822.jpg

Cheese Plate

gallery_2_4_41917.jpg

Soup of the day

gallery_2_4_86583.jpg

Ultimate Cheesesteak -- using butter poached filet mignon (Thomas Keller method)

gallery_2_4_41458.jpg

Picnic's Mac and Cheese, using five different cheeses every day, cooked stovetop in Le Creuset

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Great pictures. Thanks Jason! So enticing-I'm salivating for that cheesesteak and mac and cheese. :biggrin:

Christine, Congratulations on you anniversary; sorry I couldn't be there on Thursday for the soiree.

Great pictures.  Thanks Jason!  So enticing-I'm salivating for that cheesesteak and mac and cheese. :biggrin:

Christine, Congratulations on you anniversary; sorry I couldn't be there on Thursday for the soiree.

The party was nifty! Thanks for the kind words. We appreciate it! It's funny, it snowed for our party, March 2...our anniverary. We were supposed to open March 1 of last year, but guess what? it snowed!

There you have it. See you soon!

I live in Bergen County, but work in Morrris, so I can't get there before closing in the evening either. Is Picnic closed on Saturday?? If so, maybe I'll just have to take a vacation day and have Breakfast AND lunch. I can'twait to check it out, everthing looks and sounds incredible!!!