• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lets talk about Pie fillings

Wendy DeBord

about apples: I always use a blend of different apples, both in pies and cakes. Jonathan apples in peak season are wonderful, and pink lady apples are really fabulous eating and baking apples. And of course granny smiths.

How about tips for raspberry pie filling? I picked up some gorgeous raspberries today, and I'd like to try my hand at a raspberry pie tomorrow.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Any thoughts on apple selection?  Our old baker used to use red delicious - but I prefer a tart apple.  Granny smith were my #1 choice - good tartness and they retain their shape.  I haven't made an apple pie in a couple of years - but I'm thinking some of the new-to-me varieties may be good.  Opinions?

Can you get Northern Spy apples? When I can get them, they're my favorites to use in a pie, either alone or in combination with something else.

MelissaH

Northern Spies are my favorites, too, either in pies or out of hand. I love perfumy after scent in good harvest years. Failing that I use Winesaps when they're still fresh and crisp, then switch to Grannie Smiths.

I've almost given up making apple pies in favor of tarts. No doming problem and they look so pretty when you take the time to arrange the top slices. Besides I halve the butter that way and feel a little less guilty.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

• 3 weeks later...

A made another apple pie this weekend, and this one turned out just the way I like apple pie. I caramelized 3lbs of apples in a large skillet with a cup of sugar and 4oz butter for almost 20 minutes, until the apples were soft and the sugar had cooked to a thick, caramel sauce. I scooped the apples out into the pie shell with a slotted spoon, added 1t vanilla and a pinch of cinnamon and ginger to the caramel sauce, then poured the sauce over the apples. I egg-washed and sugared the crust, and baked on the bottom shelf at 425F for 30 minutes. The last caramel apple pie I made, from Secrets of Baking, tasted good, but turned out way too watery. This pie, by contrast, was not watery at all, just caramelly. One thing I will change next time is to add some sour cream or lemon juice to the caramel sauce, to balance some of the sweetness of the caramel.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

A made another apple pie this weekend, and this one turned out just the way I like apple pie. I caramelized 3lbs of apples in a large skillet with a cup of sugar and 4oz butter for almost 20 minutes, until the apples were soft and the sugar had cooked to a thick, caramel sauce.  I scooped the apples out into the pie shell with a slotted spoon,  added 1t vanilla and a pinch of cinnamon and ginger to the caramel sauce, then poured the sauce over the apples. I egg-washed and sugared the crust, and baked on the bottom shelf at 425F for 30 minutes. The last caramel apple pie I made, from Secrets of Baking, tasted good, but turned out way too watery. This pie, by contrast, was not watery at all, just caramelly. One thing I will change next time is to add some sour cream or lemon juice to the caramel sauce, to balance some of the sweetness of the caramel.

Patrick,

I made a precooked apple pie filling almost exactly the same way -- except for the ginger, which I must try next time -- and filled it into a pie crust based on Wendy's all-butter pie crust recipe in RecipeGullet. It was fantastic. I am wondering if you made a 9" pie and if the 3 lb. measure is the weight before or after peeling and coring the apples? I use IQF apples and I'm never quite sure how much to weight out for a 9" pie, 10", etc. I just kinda wing it as I go along :unsure:

Wendy's recipe is for a large quantity, so I scaled it back but must have made a mistake in my calculations. I think a 9" pie shell needs about 12 oz. of dough (approx. 24 oz. for double crust), but I only had about 19 oz. total, so I made a small pie (about 8.5 inches wide) and used about 2 lbs. of apples. I followed Wendy's suggestions and froze the pie, then baked it at 325 degrees (convection) from the frozen state for about 2 hours... maybe a little too long for a small pie, but it was the first pie I've ever baked that had a noticeably cooked bottom crust --almost crunchy. It was great.

Ilene

A made another apple pie this weekend, and this one turned out just the way I like apple pie. I caramelized 3lbs of apples in a large skillet with a cup of sugar and 4oz butter for almost 20 minutes, until the apples were soft and the sugar had cooked to a thick, caramel sauce.  I scooped the apples out into the pie shell with a slotted spoon,  added 1t vanilla and a pinch of cinnamon and ginger to the caramel sauce, then poured the sauce over the apples. I egg-washed and sugared the crust, and baked on the bottom shelf at 425F for 30 minutes. The last caramel apple pie I made, from Secrets of Baking, tasted good, but turned out way too watery. This pie, by contrast, was not watery at all, just caramelly. One thing I will change next time is to add some sour cream or lemon juice to the caramel sauce, to balance some of the sweetness of the caramel.

Patrick,

I made a precooked apple pie filling almost exactly the same way -- except for the ginger, which I must try next time -- and filled it into a pie crust based on Wendy's all-butter pie crust recipe in RecipeGullet. It was fantastic. I am wondering if you made a 9" pie and if the 3 lb. measure is the weight before or after peeling and coring the apples? I use IQF apples and I'm never quite sure how much to weight out for a 9" pie, 10", etc. I just kinda wing it as I go along :unsure:

Beanie,

3lb was the pre-peeled, pre-cored weight. I used that because a) that is what I had, and b) I can get all those apples in the skillet at once and therefore dont have to do batches. But I'm sure I could have used 4lbs or maybe even a little more and still fit it all into the pie dish (I used a 9" pyrex pie plate).

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I use IQF fruits all the time in pies, they work great.......including apples. They've been very consistant in moisture and quality for me. They don't oxidize like fresh peeled apples do so thats a big bonus. And I don't like apples soaked in lemon water to stop the oxidizing, but with the IQF I don't taste the acid they use.

Theres no way on earth I could prep all my own fruits and still have time to bake anything.

I use IQF fruits all the time in pies, they work great.......including apples. They've been very consistant in moisture and quality for me.  They don't oxidize like fresh peeled apples do so thats a big bonus. And I don't like apples soaked in lemon water to stop the oxidizing, but with the IQF I don't taste the acid they use.

Theres no way on earth I could prep all my own fruits and still have time to bake anything.

Ditto.

I received a delivery from my supplier last week and was surprised to see the applies packaged by Dole (they've branched out beyond pineapples, I guess :biggrin: ). The variety of apple is not identified but it is tart and very good. I used them to make the pie I described earlier in this thread.

Ilene

Patrick,

Wendy's recipe is for a large quantity, so I scaled it back but must have made a mistake in my calculations. I think a 9" pie shell needs about 12 oz. of dough (approx. 24 oz. for double crust), but I only had about 19 oz. total, so I made a small pie (about 8.5 inches wide) and used about 2 lbs. of apples. I followed Wendy's suggestions and froze the pie, then baked it at 325 degrees (convection) from the frozen state for about 2 hours... maybe a little too long for a small pie, but it was the first pie I've ever baked that had a noticeably cooked bottom crust --almost crunchy. It was great.

I came across this thread trying to brainstorm ideas for an apple pie this weekend. Do you know if the freezing process would work well if I don't have a convection oven? Would I have to cook the pie even longer or adjust the temp? I'm desperately trying to end up with an apple pie filling that doesn't turn to soup (like so many ones before). Thanks!

Wendy's recipe is for a large quantity, so I scaled it back but must have made a mistake in my calculations. I think a 9" pie shell needs about 12 oz. of dough (approx. 24 oz. for double crust), but I only had about 19 oz. total, so I made a small pie (about 8.5 inches wide) and used about 2 lbs. of apples.  I followed Wendy's suggestions and froze the pie, then baked it at 325 degrees (convection) from the frozen state for about 2 hours... maybe a little too long for a small pie, but it was the first pie I've ever baked that had a noticeably cooked bottom crust --almost crunchy. It was great.

I've scrolled through this thread and cannot find Wendy's recipe.....ummm, maybe I need to check the recipe gullet?? I will be back :rolleyes:

Cheryl Brown

Dragonfly Desserts

Some thirty years ago at the home of a friend, I had a Green Grape Pie. It was one of the best things I've ever eaten. She gave me the recipe and I made it several times. But then, during my many subsequent moves, I lost the recipe. My friend also moved a lot, and we lost touch. Finally, about five years ago, our paths crossed again. I immediately asked her if I could get that recipe.

But unfortunately, she told me, she had lost it as well. In fact, she said, "I was going to ask you for it.

I've Asked Jeeves and searched my cookbook collection and Googled my little heart out, but can't find anything to approximate it.

This is what I remember: first (and most important) -- it was made with whole green grapes. I've found many recipes for various grape pies, but they all involve extracting the juice and straining it. This pie was served cold, and it was whole green grapes held together with a viscous liquid. It called for several things, primarily white grape juice from a jar to which you added various things (including some brown sugar I believe, and maybe some sweet wine, perhaps lemon juice, maybe a little spice, such as nutmeg or anise or something) to flavor and thicken it. I believe that you baked the crust, then thickened the liquids (perhaps with gelatin or cornstarch or cream of tartar), tossed that with the whole green grapes, poured it into the crust and chilled to set. It was served it with some sort of cream on top.

It was absolutely delicious -- light and refreshing. And very unusual. I've managed to come up with something similiar, but I don't think I've quite got it.

Has anyone else heard of it?

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Okay, I'm back :laugh:  No recipe for Wendy's apple pie in the gullet. Can someone show me where I missed it?

Thanks!

Wendy's pie crust recipes are in RecipeGullet. Just do a search for "pie crust." I don't see an apple pie recipe, but she's discussed her methods of making apple pie in many threads. Check out posts 37 and 57 on this thread

I just did a search for "apple pie" and many threads popped up. There's so much to learn from so many people. :smile:

Ilene

Patrick,

I came across this thread trying to brainstorm ideas for an apple pie this weekend. Do you know if the freezing process would work well if I don't have a convection oven? Would I have to cook the pie even longer or adjust the temp? I'm desperately trying to end up with an apple pie filling that doesn't turn to soup (like so many ones before). Thanks!

I don't see why it wouldn't work with a conventional oven. Convections are usually set about 50 degrees lower than conventional, so I'd try it at a higher setting (use an oven thermometer so you know the real temperature.) But really, all ovens are different and I think you'll have to experiment. The size of the pie, type of pie pan used, etc. will affect the time required. One thing I wanted to mention is that the apples I used were partially frozen when I started sauteeing them and they gave up alot of water. I added about a tablespoon of cornstarch (dissolved in a bit of cold water) and reduced the liquid. The pie turned out nice and juicy without being soupy.

Ilene

The green grape pie you describe sounds very interesting Jaymes. I've seen some intriguing grape pie recipes as well but haven't tried any yet.

I found this recipe http://pie.allrecipes.com/az/GrnGrpPi.asp by googling, but I think you would have fount this already. Also, it looks to be a much less nuanced version of what you're describing.

In case it is of interest, I've recently seen a grape pie in Richard Sax's "Classic Home Desserts". It used seedless red grapes. They are roughly chopped, drained and then tossed w/some lemon juice, cornstarch, sugar, cinnamon and salt. The mix is poured into a chilled pie crust, dotted with butter and then covered w/a top crust before baking.

Off topic from pies--but there is also a wonderful sounding green grape tart in Paula Wolfert's, "Slow Mediterranean Cooking". Reduced grape juice puree is used to sweeten a custard. Other grapes are sauteed in butter and then the tart is cooked with the filling of custard and sauteed grapes... sounds good as well!

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I don't see why it wouldn't work with a conventional oven. Convections are usually set about 50 degrees lower than conventional, so I'd try it at a higher setting (use an oven thermometer so you know the real temperature.)  But really, all ovens are different and I think you'll have to experiment. The size of the pie, type of pie pan used, etc. will affect the time required.  One thing I wanted to mention is that the apples I used were partially frozen when I started sauteeing them and they gave up alot of water. I added about a tablespoon of cornstarch (dissolved in a bit of cold water) and reduced the liquid. The pie turned out nice and juicy without being soupy.

Thanks! Just so I understand, you pre-cook the fruit, put it in the crust and then freeze the whole thing overnight? I'm mystified as to how this doesn't overcook the apples, but willing to give it a shot...

The green grape pie you describe sounds very interesting Jaymes.  I've seen some intriguing grape pie recipes as well but haven't tried any yet.

I found this recipe http://pie.allrecipes.com/az/GrnGrpPi.asp by googling, but I think you would have fount this already.  Also, it looks to be a much less nuanced version of what you're describing.

Yes, that is typical of the things I have been able to find, but that's not it.

For one thing, the other Green Grape Pie had a pastry crust, not graham cracker. I'm sure you can imagine it....cool whole green grapes, flaky crust, creamed topping. Sigh.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I don't see why it wouldn't work with a conventional oven. Convections are usually set about 50 degrees lower than conventional, so I'd try it at a higher setting (use an oven thermometer so you know the real temperature.)  But really, all ovens are different and I think you'll have to experiment. The size of the pie, type of pie pan used, etc. will affect the time required.  One thing I wanted to mention is that the apples I used were partially frozen when I started sauteeing them and they gave up alot of water. I added about a tablespoon of cornstarch (dissolved in a bit of cold water) and reduced the liquid. The pie turned out nice and juicy without being soupy.

Thanks! Just so I understand, you pre-cook the fruit, put it in the crust and then freeze the whole thing overnight? I'm mystified as to how this doesn't overcook the apples, but willing to give it a shot...

That's how I did it. But I didn't cook the apples for a long time; they were still a bit firm when I filled the pie crust. I am a novice baker trying out different methods, but this worked better for me than previous attempts that ended up soupy, with unbaked bottom crusts, and with large gaps between the top crust and the apples.

After I made the apple pie I made a blueberry pie using frozen wild blueberries. This time I did not precook the fruit. I just tossed frozen BB with sugar, lemon juice, a dusting of cinnamon, and tapioca flour (just to try a different type of thickener), filled the crust, topped with streussel, froze the whole thing overnight, and baked from frozen state. I was very pleased with the results. I didn't follow a recipe; I just tried to do it on my own to get a feel for it.

Let us know what you decide to do and how it worked out. :smile:

Ilene

amyknyc,

One other thing... when the frozen pie is baked, it will thaw from the outside in. The pie crust will thaw and start to brown while the filling is just starting to thaw. By the time the crust is done, the filling will be cooked, but not overcooked. Does this make sense? Maybe somebody else can correct me or explain better.

Ilene

amyknyc,

One other thing... when the frozen pie is baked, it will thaw from the outside in. The pie crust will thaw and start to brown while the filling is just starting to thaw.  By the time the crust is done, the filling will be cooked, but not overcooked. Does this make sense? Maybe somebody else can correct me or explain better.

Ah, that makes more sense. So you're basically reheating your filling while the crust bakes. OK, I'm giving it a shot this weekend, I'll let you know how it comes out!

I dug up a picture of an apple pie I did a few years ago. I can post my recipe if anyone wants it. The filling is cooked over the stovetop until the apples are softened, but not cooked all the way through. (Please excuse the ugly fluting job I did on the crust...haha. I hope I've improved a bit in the last few years.)

ba4eee32.jpg

ETA: I re-worked my apple pie recipe many, many times a few years ago. I don't think I've made an apple pie in the last year...maybe it's time to try to improve on my recipe yet again.

Edited by Ling (log)

Meringues.  Besides their problems with runny-ness, meringue tastes of uncooked egg to me--no surprise there, because it IS uncooked, only browned on the top.  I've replaced almost all my meringues with whipped cream, all but lemon meringue pie, which just wouldn't be the same.  I don't know how many different "tips" I've tried and none of them have ever worked.

Have you tried an Italian meringue? The egg whites are cooked, and the meringue has a marshmallowy texture. :smile:

amyknyc,

One other thing... when the frozen pie is baked, it will thaw from the outside in. The pie crust will thaw and start to brown while the filling is just starting to thaw.  By the time the crust is done, the filling will be cooked, but not overcooked. Does this make sense? Maybe somebody else can correct me or explain better.

Ah, that makes more sense. So you're basically reheating your filling while the crust bakes. OK, I'm giving it a shot this weekend, I'll let you know how it comes out!

Yup. I'm also baking this weekend...apple pie and blueberry. I'll report back too.

Ilene