• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soapstone & Concrete countertops

rgruby

Yes, scratches can be buffed or sanded out, but how are you going to fix damage to the edges? I was in HD and they had a soapstone counter used in one of their kitchen displays. I could actually remove part of the ogee edge with my fingernail, and I have very soft, thin nails. I don't see how you can repair it, and put the edge back on, if you chip or scratch a piece of that edge off.

I don't see how you can repair it, and put the edge back on, if you chip or scratch a piece of that edge off.

You're right. You can't. But I don't think that claim was ever made. Sand out scratches - YES. Repair deep dammage - NO.

A.

Yes, scratches can be buffed or sanded out, but how are you going to fix damage to the edges? I was in HD and they had a soapstone counter used in one of their kitchen displays. I could actually remove part of the ogee edge with my fingernail, and I have very soft, thin nails. I don't see how you can repair it, and put the edge back on, if you chip or scratch a piece of that edge off.

Blondelle,

That reminds me...My countertop is at the same level as my belt buckle and I've made several scratches (not major ones, but still scratches that are too deep to mask with oil) in front of the sink while doing dishes or washing something in the sink. I've also banged a dish on the edge above the dishwasher and taken out a small chunk. Damage to the edges of your countertop are a disaster. Chips or dents that occur directly on a vein show up as bright white and are virtually impossible to fix as well.

I too bought my soapstone slab at M. Teixera like Fernwood. IIRC, there was one type of soapstone that they called Cobra that was quarried in India. Apparently it was a little harder than the other soapstone. According to the people at Teixera, the availability of this stone was spotty. Frankly, while a nice looking stone, it had minimal veining and thus to me, it was missing some character. If you are looking for a black countertop, this is a very interesting option.

I know that I've come across as being down on soapstone, and to a certain degree that is the case. However, I do love the looks of my countertops, but really wish they were more durable and that I didn't have to be so careful. My point in making these posts was to explain the downsides of soapstone because they weren't made very clear to me before I purchased my countertops and I hope to give people a clear idea of what the issues may be before they go and spend thousands of dollars.

Again, it's all about your ability to tolerate "patina".

OK, I started this whole shebang and I'm still not decided.

I can live with some minor wear and tear. By which I think I mean scratches. If through normal use the counters are getting large divots and the edges are eroding, I'm a bit more concerned!

I'm thinking about putting a penninsula type thingey (large overhang with seating for 3 or 4) and using soapstone. That's a lot of surface, but perhaps more to the point, a lot of edge that's getting rubbed against etc. I'm not sure I'm asking a question here - more looking for reassurance or someone to dissuade me.

Perhaps the best advice is get a sample from your supplier first and put it through its paces before you decide. And I intend to do just that.

Thanks all,

Geoff Ruby

I've been thinking about your question since you posted it...it seems to me that the edges wouldn't get banged up by your guests-I mean, it's their bellies that will mostly be in contact with the edges, right?-but that the surface might get scratched, for example if someone drags a heavy ceramic plate across it.

As you can see from the pictures, we have a bar area above the range that could be seating (though right now it's mostly just being used either as a buffet or as a dandy spot for putting prepped ingredients when I cook). I wouldn't hesitate to eat there. But, if you anticipate that you or your guests will be dragging or banging heavy dinnerware or pots on this surface, maybe soapstone wouldn't be the best.

I wouldn't hesitate to eat there. But, if you anticipate that you or your guests will be dragging or banging heavy dinnerware or pots on this surface, maybe soapstone wouldn't be the best.

I agree wholeheartedly. We have the same type of buffet. When we use it as a buffet, we put down placemats to avoid the dragging/sliding factor. Another annoying problem is when your guests politely help clear the table and slide plates across the counter towards the sink.

Oiled soapstone is dark.  Make sure you have plenty of light.

This finally dawned on me, too--and sadly is what has made me cross soapstone off my wish list. My kitchen is dark, always will be, even with the planned new window. A drawback of living in the midst of urban density.

Fortunately--or not--I discovered concrete, which can be any color or hue you can imagine, and I adore the texture and feel, too boot.

LindaK . . .  I am a well known fan of laminate. With a couple of exceptions, that is all I have ever had in my kitchens and I have never been unhappy with it. The price is certainly right. I did see a Formica® brand pattern that looks like soapstone at a fancy Home Depot type place a few months ago but I can't find it on the Formica® website.

Fifi, I've seen your "Defense of Formica" posts on other threads, and have appreciated your sensible perspective. It's all I've ever had in my own kitchens and I have no complaints, either. So I suppose it means I've fallen prey to Trophy Kitchen Syndrome (TKS) that I am considering spending a huge sum of money on a material that Daddy-A cautions against. It has less to do with performance than with aethetics. Like an expensive piece of art. Can't afford it but it makes my life beautiful. Worth the ramen noodles.

Now it is a a battle between TKS and my budget. I'm already on board with Ikea cabinetry to save for the range and countertops, my two potential splurges.

I've been thinking about your question since you posted it...it seems to me that the edges wouldn't get banged up by your guests-I mean, it's their bellies that will mostly be in contact with the edges, right?-but that the surface might get scratched, for example if someone drags a heavy ceramic plate across it.

Well, I'm thinking chairs will get pushed into it, it's a tight space so there will be some contact (even if it is mainly my belly, which admittedly is somewhat soft) but also my kid will be throwing stuff on it, banging toys into it, and doing the kind of things bratty young kids do. So, chairs and kids more than bellies, are my main concerns. I might go granite (or silestone) for the penninsula bit and soapstone for the main "work surface" bit. I dunno.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

• 7 months later...

I was directed to this thread and wonder if anyone would care to update? I'm in the throes of countertop selection right now, and this discussion has been very, very helpful.

Every time I think I have a decision made, I change my mind.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

I was directed to this thread and wonder if anyone would care to update?  I'm in the throes of countertop selection right now, and this discussion has been very, very helpful.

Every time I think I have a decision made, I change my mind.

I'm still on the fence. I did get a soapstone sample, but I haven't put it through its paces yet. I was told by a guy that sells both soapstone and granite, that the type of force that would chip or crack soapstone would do the same to granite. I'm not sure I believe that. I was also told that small nicks and divots can be "patched" to some extent. I suppose it might be worth asking about this, and how well it works.

There are definitely differing levels of hardness in soapstone.The samples I was looking at were both quarried in Brazil (I think). the harder one had a definite green tint, whereas the softer one was closer to black. The softer one you could scratch with a fingernail.

I'd advise getting a sample, sliding some pans across it, maybe dropping a can of tomatoes or juice or something relatively heavy on the sample (and particularly the edges) and see if you can live with the result.

As someone alluded to upthread, all the counter materials have their strengths and weaknesses, and none seem perfect, even if cost were not an object.

Best of luck with it.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

Just to keep the 'concrete' side of this thread alive...

Here's the site of the place whose work made me fall for concrete. I saw some of the smaller products of the Slab Lab at one of Boston's art districts' open studios events, and it was love at first sight. What surprised me most was that it's very warm (as opposed to granite, even honed) and tactile. The site is useful, with pictures and descriptions about the different types of textures available, etc.

• 6 months later...

When did I start this thread? It seems like eons ago. It was eons ago.

In any event, I plunked down some money for countertops last week. In the end, I went with soapstone.

I'm still not convinced I made the right decision. I'm mostly worried about how the edge will hold up given that I expect my kid will be banging on it and whacking away with anything he can get his hands on.

Anywho, they're gonna look fantastic. Install date late Jan probably.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

In any event, I plunked down some money for countertops last week. In the end, I went with soapstone.

I'm still not convinced I made the right decision. I'm mostly worried about how the edge will hold up given that I expect my kid will be banging on it and whacking away with anything he can get his hands on.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

I think you will be happy. I have had mine for twelve years. They have so far survived mu wife and I and our three sons (17,15 and 7). They are actually pretty resilient. "Soft" is a relative term.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

Oooh, congratulations! We desparately wanted to go that route, but 53 ft^2 of countertop in our kitchen made it cost-prohibitive for a while. We're planning on the upgrade in, oh, 10 years or so. I'm anxious to hear how yours hold up. (And if zillions of chemistry lab benches everywhere are any indication, you probably don't have much to worry about.)

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Our edges are pretty banged up, especially near the sink, which is pretty vulnerable to us clanking around heavy pots. I didn't realized that the dings would be white and chalky-if they were grey-black they wouldn't be very noticable. Also we generally put down a towel when we're opening cans or wine bottles-this will scratch the stone otherwise. But we don't actually care that much about the wear. The kitchen is for cooking, not for show, and we didn't like any other countertop options. (Though I am curious about slate-a coffeehouse I go to has it. It's dull black like soapstone, and the dings are dull black too).

I have concrete countertops in my bathroom and I love them, but I don't think I would ever use them in the kitchen. They require a little too much babying.

Can you tell me what you mean? I still love the look, and am still planning the kitchen.

thanks for bumping up the thread again. Perfect timing, I'm back in kitchen planning mode.

thanks for bumping up the thread again. Perfect timing, I'm back in kitchen planning mode.

Ha! i think that was you over on Dave's reno thread asking about islands vs. penninsulas!

Good luck with it. I think concrete could be right if you know what you want and can oversee the installation like a hawk. It seems more prone to error on the fabrication/ install side than just about anything else.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

I have concrete countertops in my bathroom and I love them, but I don't think I would ever use them in the kitchen. They require a little too much babying.

Can you tell me what you mean? I still love the look, and am still planning the kitchen.

Well, we couldn't let anything sit on them for more than a couple minutes (including water) for the first month because they were still curing. Now they seem pretty sturdy, but certain soaps will leave dark spots that eventually go away but I'm always worried that one time one won't. I think that the fats, acids, etc. used in kitchens might be too much for the concrete to take. I know it would stress ME out.

They are beautiful, though.

I am just winding up a kitchen reno and have soapstone - I am in love! I live in Mass and got to drive up to NH to actually select my slabs at the quarry. I chose a black/grey with dark green veining - it is beautiful. I liked the look of it unoiled and would have like to keep it lighter, but everyone (contractor, installer, kitchen designer) told me I'd end up oiling it to even out the oil splotches. So, today I just oiled it for the first time. It is so much darker than I have gotten used to! Still looks great, but will take some getting used to. Can anyone else comment on the darkening - once you have oiled, does it pretty much stay that way?

Can anyone else comment on the darkening - once you have oiled, does it pretty much stay that way?

My understanding is that soapstone requires periodic oiling to give it a nice even (but darker) coloration. The frequency of oiling required to achieve this decreases over time. Of course, you don't have to oil soapstone - it's purely for esthetic reasons.

Given this, I suspect that the darkness will fade somewhat (perhaps even quite a bit the first time or two) but will fade less each subsequent oil application. I'd try not oiling it again, or maybe just oiling it when it gets too uneven in color/tone.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

Yes, Geoff - you are right. By this morning, the color had noticably lightened back to the way it was. I like your tip - I may not do as much as the installer suggested (twice a week for 6 weeks, then once every other month or so) and see how it works. I really like the lighter look - you can see the greys and the beautiful veining. I will report back and let y all know how it worked out.

So timely! I just called M. Teixeira today (they now have a showroom in San Francisco) to schedule an appointment to get a quote and hopefully pick out my slabs. I went there back in May(?) when I first started getting serious about this kitchen remodel and got some samples that I've put through their paces.

The kitchen gets demo'ed in early January; counters will probably go in sometime in Feb, I guess. I can't wait!

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

• 5 weeks later...

I'm in the middle of a kitchen redo. It is a 1920 Sears house, so we are trying to keep the kitchen in context, but also want it to be very practical. When I cook, I tend to fling stuff around quite a bit, so cleanup is important. I also cook with tumeric :-)

I am trying to decide between black tile, which is what I had in my old kitchen, and soapstone. Granite would not look appropriate in this kitchen, plus I don't like it anyway - always reminds me of gravestones. My old black tile was awesome - easy cleanup, nothing stained it, and it wore well. Plus, tile is perfectly appropiate to a 20's style kitchen. However, we have a relative who cooks seriously who has soapstone in his 20's style kitchen, and it also looks awesome. He says that if treated correctly with mineral oil, staining is not a problem at all. I asked him about the tumeric issue, and he actually ran tests on his countertop! He tried straight tumeric in a little water, and tumeric cooked in butter - no stain either time.

So he just about has me sold on soapstone. But since there are lots of serious cooks here, I thought I would ask opinions of you guys as well. Is soapstone really a good choice for a messy cook who uses tumeric?

One other question - the relative I am mentioning has soapstone counters that are this really dull flat black, no veins or mottling of any kind. It is exactly the look I want. He got it years ago from Vermont Soapstone. The only other soapstone I have seen recently has been in Home Expo, and theirs is a sort of dark grey with lots of veins. I don't like it (btw, this is their sample after being treated with mineral oil). How does one go about seeing the soapstone before buying it? Is it hard to find the kind that doesn't have a lot of veins in it?

One other question - the relative I am mentioning has soapstone counters that are this really dull flat black, no veins or mottling of any kind. It is exactly the look I want. He got it years ago from Vermont Soapstone. The only other soapstone I have seen recently has been in Home Expo, and theirs is a sort of dark grey with lots of veins. I don't like it (btw, this is their sample after being treated with mineral oil). How does one go about seeing the soapstone before buying it? Is it hard to find the kind that doesn't have a lot of veins in it?

the soapstone that you saw in the Home Expo hasnt been treated with mineral oil, untreated soapstone looks very rough, sometimes white speckled, veined or dull gray almost, and it still wont be treated until its been installed on your counter, even then the installers wont even do it for you, they'd leave a bottle of mineral oil on the counter expecting you to do it yourself. lol but soapstone is a great kitchen counter material. and over time a natural patina forms on the counter due to your constant application of oil so when that happens you can lessen the amount of application you would do every month.

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.