• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegan Desserts

NeroW

Try looking for Kosher non-dairy desserts...

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

How about Crazy Chocolate Cake? I've recommended it to many people - all had great results. (For my taste, I would cut down on the sugar and use half brewed espresso and half water): Can frost with a chocolate water glaze:

http://www.recipezaar.com/53524

Here's another recipe to check out (haven't tried this):

Chocolate Tofu Mousse Pie

http://www.veganconnection.com/recipes/chocpie.htm

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

If you can, check out The Voluptuous Vegan by Myra Kornfeld, who used to be chef at Angelica's Kitchen in NYC. Her food is delicious, and the cookbook contains numerous dessert recipes. Meanwhile, here's her recipe for gingerbread. I've tasted this gingerbread, and I think it's good.

gingerbread: http://www.myrakornfeld.com/recipes.php

Edited by djyee100 (log)

But I'm stumped on dessert.  I'd like something other than cupcakes I think and it seems that most vegan dessert searches bring me right back to cupcakes.

So - any ideas? - favorite treats?

What about glazed strawberry shortbread tarts?

Another idea is a fruit crisp - the butter would have to be replaced with margarine, though. This one from Fine Cooking is supposed to be excellent:

PEACH AND BLUEBERRY CRISP WITH SPICED-PECAN TOPPING

http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/recipes...an-topping.aspx

I was actually looking at this recipe as a possiblity for the Heartland Gathering.

How about a freaking apple?!?

Absolutely no disrespect to Kerry, her friends or vegans in general intended but... that's funny. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm equally cooperative when people ask me about "diet" versions of my desserts.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

If you don't have your ice cream maker with you, how about a fruit granita that you can make with an ordinary pan in the freezer and a fork to break up the slush?

Frankly, a simple fresh fruit salad with a little syrup or sugar, maybe a sprig of mint too, would go well with the felafel.

(So Chefpeon wasn't that far off when she suggested apple. :laugh: )

Edited by djyee100 (log)

...Frankly, a simple fresh fruit salad with a little syrup or sugar, maybe a sprig of mint too, would go well with the felafel.

I agree. Fine Cooking's "Melons with Ginger Syrup" is one that comes to mind - really delicious.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

If you're doing falafel, how about nammoura? I love the stuff, perfumey rosewater and all.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I think a simple fruit salad is a fine idea, especially if it's hot. Falafel, to me, requires a simple dessert. You could also do a simple strudel using phyllo (if you have some handy, or if you want to make some) spiced like baklava to suit the main course better.

It's Lebanese. A dense semolina cake with a rosewater scented syrup poured over. You'd have to veganize it a bit, margarine instead of butter and soy milk or water instead of the milk. Any fresh fruit that works with rosewater would pair well with it.

Edit: Forgot the link: nammoura.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

what about Grilled stone Fruit? Do Vegans eat cheese? you could do top them with some vanilla mascarpone or creme fraiche. I particularly like Nectarines or Peaches, but plums work great too.

Or grille with fruit and top with an fresh herb infused syrup, or with a prosecco or sauterne.

Eric

Vegans don't eat cheese.

I think a nice fruit salad would go well with falaffel, or a summer fruit pie. I like to bake apple pie using margarine instead of butter (soy marg gives the best flavor) and shred almond paste over the apples. Baked fruit with almond paste or ginger is nice too, served with soy whipped cream or just a crumbly topping.

You could do an fruit compote, served with biscotti or over some kind of cake (made without dairy and eggs).

For instance, I picked up some apricots and blueberries today at USGM.

Simmer apricots and blueberries in a simple syrup (water, sugar), maybe infuse a vanilla bean. Let cool.

Another idea is peach salad with almonds, or strawberries and nectarines with champagne.

If you serve wine, make sure it's vegan. They are out there, but you have to look carefully.

Yes I wondered about that. I'll have to figure out what to watch for on the bottle. Of course it raises the question of what wine goes with falafel?