• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food/Cookery-related lit in the GTA

rgruby

Hi,

I'd like to try and compile a list of food literature and cookbooks that either feature the GTA or are written by writers living in and around the GTA.

Here we go:

John Allemang's The Importance of lunch. The former (and still sometimes) food writer for the Globe features a collection of short essays that often involve Toronto.

Margaret Visser's Much Depends on Dinner - the story behind 9 common foodstuffs, exhaustively researched. Author in part TO-based.

Gina Mallet's The End of Food. TO - based author - haven't had a chance to look at this myself yet.

James Chatto - TO Life food writer has a couple books.

As for cookbooks:

Susur is about to release his big shiny tome.

Jamie Kennedy already did his.

Bonnie Stearn has a bunch.

Chatto and Lucy Waverman (I think) put out a good looking cookbook within the last year or so

Madelein Greey is TO or area based I think, and has book by the name of Get Fresh detailing how to choose & store most common fruits and veg. Some recipes.

Kathleen Sloan-McIntosh I believe is also based around here and has written a cookbook or two.

The Southern Accents Cookbook is the only TO-area resto cookbook I own. I'm having trouble coming up with others off the top of my head, but surely there are others.

And, in the none of the above categories:

In the internet/ blog category finds Gremolata.com (Malcolm, it's a boy)

CityBites is a new-ish food related mag that came as an insert in Now a few weeks ago. They have a website, but I'm not sure if the paper edition is available other than via Now.

OK, that's about all I can think of off the top of my head. Oops, one more - The Young Thailand cookbook by Wandee Young and Byron, long last Greek name that starts with A. It has since been renamed.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

-there's a collection of joanne kates essays. it must be at least 10-15 years old.

-the fresh/juice for life book if you're into some vegan juice bar recipes.

"There never was an apple, according to Adam, that wasn't worth the trouble you got into for eating it"

-Neil Gaiman

If Niagara is "GTA", there are several books by local authors.

"A Year in Niagara" is a wonderful book by Kathleen Sloan-McIntosh.

The Olsons (Michael and Anna) have authored a couple of cookbooks, and there is a new one coming in the fall. Current titles include the "On the Twenty Cookbook" and "Sugar".

Tony DeLuca from Hillebrand has a cookbook called "Wine Country Cooking".

Sure, Niagara counts.

Thought of a couple more after a perusal ofmy cookbooks.

Smita Chandra has a couple books devoted to Indian cooking.

Regan Daley (I think - I don't own this one) had a Beard (IACP?) winning book called In the Sweet Kitchen.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

The Real Jerk:  New Caribbean Cuisine (Lily Pottinger)

Simply Thai Cooking (Wandee Young and Byron Ayanoglu)

Asian Bistro Cookbook (Andrew Chase - whatever happened to him?)

Byron, I apologize. Your name isn't all that long. And, one of my favourite cookbooks. Pretty much the only one I own that I've cooked almost every recipe in it. I own the Young Thailand version. I believe that Simply Thai Cooking may have a few extra recipes added. Great book.

I forgot about the Asian Bistro cookbook. I own that too. And, yeah, whatever happened to the author, Andrew Chase? I can't remember the name of the restaurant he cheffed at, but it was just off Yonge, and I ate there a few times and enjoyed it.

OK, does anybody have any ideas on whether there was much stuff that might be considered "historical"? Are there any books that delve into the culinary history of this part of the world? Foodie magazines that came and went?

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

The Real Jerk:  New Caribbean Cuisine (Lily Pottinger)

Simply Thai Cooking (Wandee Young and Byron Ayanoglu)

Asian Bistro Cookbook (Andrew Chase - whatever happened to him?)

Byron, I apologize. Your name isn't all that long. And, one of my favourite cookbooks. Pretty much the only one I own that I've cooked almost every recipe in it. I own the Young Thailand version. I believe that Simply Thai Cooking may have a few extra recipes added. Great book.

I forgot about the Asian Bistro cookbook. I own that too. And, yeah, whatever happened to the author, Andrew Chase? I can't remember the name of the restaurant he cheffed at, but it was just off Yonge, and I ate there a few times and enjoyed it.

OK, does anybody have any ideas on whether there was much stuff that might be considered "historical"? Are there any books that delve into the culinary history of this part of the world? Foodie magazines that came and went?

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

Wasn't Chase's restaurant called Youki's? I used to really like that place. There are also some Canadian TV cookbooks:

The Loving Spoonfuls Cookbook (Carol Sevitt)

The Great Canadian Food Show (Chris Knight)

Wasn't Chase's restaurant called Youki's?  I used to really like that place.  There are also some Canadian TV cookbooks:

The Loving Spoonfuls Cookbook (Carol Sevitt)

The Great Canadian Food Show (Chris Knight)

I think Chase's restaurant was called Youki. I have no idea what he's up to now though. I haven't looked at his cookbook in quite a while. I should pull it out again.

• 2 weeks later...

Mildred Pierce restaurant has a brunch cookbook. The old Bamboo had a cookbook out (Bamboo Cooks), with its pad thai recipe in it. What about the Surreal Gourmet? He's local, I believe. Or was at one time, catering movie shoots. Joe Fiorito, who has a column in the Globe, wrote a book called Comfort Me with Apples (before Reichl did), but I think he was resident in Montreal at the time. Cynthia Wine wrote reviews in the Toronto Star some years back, and wrote a book called Eating for A Living about her experiences thereof. The dust jacket credits her with other books on local cuisine. Tony Aspler, the wine comentator has both fiction and nonfiction out.

That's all I can think of for now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi,

I'd like to try and compile a list of food literature and cookbooks that either feature the GTA or are written by writers living in and around the GTA.

Gina Mallet's The End of Food. TO - based author - haven't had a chance to look at this myself yet.

My first post in this thread had a number of typos or outright errors. Serves me right for trying to do this off the top of my head. Ms. Mallett's book is actually titled Last Chance to Eat.

Bonnie Stearn is actually Bonnie Stern.

Madelein Greey is TO or area based I think. ... Another typo - Madeleine.

And, I believe Ted Reader of the bbq books is also TO based, so let's add him as well.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

• 1 month later...

The author of the newly released "Bones", Jennifer McLagan, is TO-based.

Donna Dooher of the Cookworks & Mildred Pierce has a couple of books.

I recently stumbled across this blog: http://www.alacuisine.org/alacuisine/

Very entertaining!

I also hear that Michael Stadtlander has just put a book out, but that it is not really a cookbook per se. Anyone know any more about this?

I havn't heard anything about Stadtlander's book, but "Bones" looks really good, I want to pick that up.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Don't believe I mentioned Christine Cushing or Alford & Duguid of Hot, Sour, Salty, Sweet and a number of others.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

Alford and Duguid's new book was just released - "Mangoes & Curry Leaves". I just received my copy a few days ago (from Chapters).

BTW, if anyone is interested, they will be speaking at Hart House (U of T) tomorrow night (December 5).

Good Eating: Jeffery Alford and Naomi Duguid

The event is free.