• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Copeland

barawidan

Took some people for a holiday lunch onMonday and would not return. The food was good (okay, the acorn squash soup was fanastic), but the service was awful. We were seated and given a wine list. I asked about a list by the glass and the waiter mumbled something and came back 10 minutes later with the list. When he returned to take our drink order, he also wantes to take our food order, but we had never received menus. It took forever to bring out the food, he never checked back to see if we needed anything. At a restaurant of this quality, I find it disconcerting when the waiter has to ask who gets what with a party of four. We sat for quite a while after we were done and finally had get another waiter to find him to ask about coffee and dessert. Again, the waiter was nowhere to be found and I had to find him to get the bill. After waiting 10 minutes for him to come take the payment, I got up and went to the front and took care of it myself.

We heard that the manager went over to Headquarters Plaza, maybe that's the difference between the early raves and now.

So sorry to hear this as Executive Chef Thomas Ciszak is very talented but  poor service is a big turnoff.

Ebberlyn

post Jun 19 2005, 12:40 PM

Post #6

participating member

Member No.: 32,349

They have a great bar and their drinks are amazing! The raw bar is something to talk about. The oyster shucker, Ryan, is wonderful!! They are known for their raw bar platters which are piled on- great value!! Much more appealing than South City Grill.

I believe they are also known for their Braised Short Ribs and their Chili-Cinnamon glazed Chilean seabass. I think it's the best kept secret.

Formula for suspicious posts: If the number of exclamation points minus the number of previous posts is a positive integer, it is likely an insider comment.

Formula for suspicious posts: If the number of exclamation points minus the number of previous posts is a positive integer, it is likely an insider comment.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Ebberlyn 

post Jun 19 2005, 12:40 PM

Post #6

participating member

Member No.: 32,349

They have a great bar and their drinks are amazing! The raw bar is something to talk about. The oyster shucker, Ryan, is wonderful!! They are known for their raw bar platters which are piled on- great value!! Much more appealing than South City Grill.

I believe they are also known for their Braised Short Ribs and their Chili-Cinnamon glazed Chilean seabass. I think it's the best kept secret.

Nice job there markymark. Also enjoyed your equation. Looks like the new GM in addition to not being a stand up person and is a bit of a sneak for posting under the illusion of being a customer.

Wait a second, I think you guys may be getting carried away with it - the new GM is mentioned as "new" in Oct., Ebberlyn's post is dated June. In the Star-Ledger review from March - 3 1/2 stars - the manager was a woman (the reviews are on their website).

Also, middle of Dec. is probably the busiest time at any restaurant - I can't imagine any manager having the time to post on egullet, especially given the staff problems they have, as described in the posts.

But it does sound like they've taken some action - possibly fired the offending staff members. Firing people at this time of the year is pretty much suicide, I'd think (hell, I couldn't fire a clueless OFFICE assistant right now), so it seems to me they have taken it seriously.

I wouldn't discount it just yet. but maybe wait till after the holidays to check it out

Alcohol is a misunderstood vitamin.

P.G. Wodehouse

That may all be true, but the original posts just SCREAMS of someone with a vested interest in the place. It may not be/have been the GM, but it was certainly someone with a reason to promote Copeland--that was very obvious.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Curlz...I don't know anything about the original posters...

and I have no connection whatsoever w. Copeland.

Several of my friends, including Rosie, had visited the

restaurant early on and had been very pleased w. it.

My earlier visits were quite pleasant, although perhaps

not as enthralling as the Newark Star Ledger's review

would lead one to anticipate.

Frankly, whatever the genesis, Copeland appears to have

gone markedly downhill after a quite promising start.

I hope that they get back on track. Our area could

use this venue.

Incidentally, I don't expect/require a GM to

post here......but I don't think it's because they are

so busy..au contraire!

Curlz...I don't know anything about the original posters...

and I have no connection whatsoever w. Copeland.

Never meant to imply that you did, Paula--it was the other poster we're all referencing!

The chef may be good but service is laughable at best.

I went to Copelands with another couple to celebrate our anniversaries. I made the reservation before I saw some of the negative remarks. They called to confirm our reservation and I asked if everything was ok or if there was any problem as I had read about service problems. I was told that everything was fine and I could expect a great dining experience.

Well, they made a mistake and forgot to tell me that they were having a large noisy private party with speeches and a DJ with loud music.

When we suggested that maybe we should leave, they suggested to allow them to make up for it, and agreed to give us a free bottle of wine.

When I asked for a wine suggestion, the waiter said he did not know about wines.

When I asked to see the Sommelier, I was told he was too busy with the party.

When I insisted, the Sommeleier finally came and suggested a wine. I agreed with his suggestion. He told the waiter our choice and left.

The waiter then advised that they did not have the wine the Sommeleier suggested. (How can a Sommelier not know what wines are not in stock?)

To make up for that error, they offered a free glass of another wine.

Then the Sommeelier returned and asked how I liked the wine he had suggested. Completely clueless.

When the bill came, they charged me for the wine they had said they were offering as an apology for their errors. When I complained they corrected the bill.

My dinner companions thought the dishes were too heavily salted. I thought the food was ok.

None of us enjoyed our special anniversary dinner over the loud party DJ and service errors and aggravation.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Does anyone know if the GM is still a guy named Yasir? He is an Indian looking guy.

Just to be fair, I wanted to report the following:

Went back again today for lunch and everything was fine. I had a burger, a really excellent burger, and my wife had the lobster salad sandwich. Both entrees served with fries. Everything was hot and brought out quickly. The service was excellent, attentive but not overbearing. Now, I'll grant you that it doesn't take a rocket scientist to bring out a burger and a sandwich but after having been here recently and gotten a bad vibe and then having read some horror stories on egullet, I was worried. We started out trying to go someplace else, Cinque Figlie, but they were packed with a holiday party so we ended up back at Copeland. The burger is one of the best in the area, I'd go back again to eat it.