• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Twists on Old Favorites

Jason Perlow

I prefer Peanut Butter, Jelly, and a Baseball Bat!

Sorry, I had to, Enjoy!

Ben

oh man that was obnoxious.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Oreo filling: Ugh. Crisco and powdered sugar. :wacko:

Oreos are for tourists. Cognoscenti eat Hydrox.

Hydrox are Oreo wannabes.

Spffff. You're likely among the misguided millions that think Snickers are better than Baby Ruths. :hmmm:

• 5 months later...
[spffff.  You're likely among the misguided millions that think Snickers are better than Baby Ruths.  :hmmm:

One of the things I really like about Halloween is that there are really fresh Baby Ruths for sale. The best candy bar ever. Really.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I'm not 100% certain, but they may have been hiding out in the baking section. The primary use for these cookies is as crust and some weird "cake" made with Cool Whip.

I actually like the "Icebox Cake." It was my birthday cake of choice as a kid. In the shape of an 'E.' I've never seen ti made with Cool Whip, though. Fresh whipped cream all the way. Also, Famous Wafers aren't sold at all supermarkets. I always call the company if I can't find an item.

And Pretzel Goldfish were out when I was a kid. Tasted like baking soda.

• 5 months later...

Oreo packages chocolate cookie crumbs. I've only seen them once, but they made the best cheesecake crust ever, and it was so much easier measuring the crumbs in a cup than taking lots of cookies and crushing them.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

More new Chips Ahoy varieties are out now. Today (because they were on sale) I bought:

Chips Ahoy: "Peanut Butter Ahoy"

Chips Ahoy: "White Fudge Chunky"

As per Jason's original observation, Chips Ahoy (unlike Oreos) seem flexible enough that a reasonable amount can be done to them without ruining them.

The Peanut Butter Ahoy, with mixed Chocolate and Peanut Butter Chips (and I think maybe a tiny bit of Peanut Butter in the Cookie Dough itself) is pretty good.

The White Fudge variety is even better. This kind of shocked me, because I've seen "White Chocolate" variations screwed up very consistently over the years. Within the limited parameters of Chips Ahoy (versus any kind of fresh baked variety), these rock.

As per usual, these are bad as hell for you, but hey... it's junk food.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

My kids, husband and I love the snowflake shaped Ritz. They seem to have more holes, or more something. They are much better. I bought a case of them. Hope they keep well in a very cool basement or garage. We also like those triangular shaped Triscuits. Regular triscuits seem to go stale much faster and not be quite as snappy.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Can't we just bake our own cookies? Give me a homemade chocolate chip cookie over a Chips Ahoy any day.

Oreos are harder to replicate, but they're not my favorite anyway.

Thin Mints, on the other hand... :unsure:

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

nasty things the Oreo and the Ahoy!

Especially the winter time Oreo coated in nasty white wax- or is that stuff what coolwhip becomes once you beat the air into it?

However just once in my life I had the BEST experience....a salty ritz cracker coated in real semi-sweet chocolate deeeeelish! Never saw them for sale again..think I might contact those people.....

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who