• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Chips in Japan

torakris

the other day while browsing the snack aisle, i came across these potato chips

gallery_6134_91_1095806700.jpg

From Calbee, the bag says they are part of the salts from Japan series, the chips are salted with salts from different parts of Japan. The green one from Hokkaido and the pink from Okinawa. I didn't think there would be a noticable difference in taste but the there actually was. Initially I preferred the Hokkaido one because it was saltier, but after a couple of chips it was too salty. :blink: I need to check and see if there are anymore....

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 4 months later...

Found two new potato chips today

gallery_6134_549_1106365347.jpg

The one on the left is called Tiger Shinjyao and is seasoned with karashi (Japanese mustard) and black sesame seeds

on the right is Dragon Maaraa with sanshou (Japanese prickly ash ) and togarashi (chile peppers)

I am eating the Tiger mustard ones now and all I can say is damn! these are good! :biggrin:

They are put out by Yamayoshi and I bought them at 3F convenience store and the sign said they were only available at this convenience store chain.....

• 1 month later...

yesterday I picked up two new kinds of potato chips

gallery_6134_549_20711.jpg

carbonara flavored on the left and spicy mayo on the right

The spicy mayo were really good, the carbonara ones sort of freaked me out because they tasted too much like carbonara! :shock: It was just weird to eat them in a chip form.... I could only handle two of them and my kids finished off the bag. The spicy mayo ones are hidden. :biggrin:

• 4 weeks later...

I went to the convenience store at 6:00am to get some milk for my morning coffee and these caught my eye

gallery_6134_1003_18849.jpg

tandoori chicken and bossam/possam (wrapped) kimchi flavored potato chips, I almost forgot to buy the milk....

Kristin, please let us know what the tandoori chicken chips taste like!  :blink:

These were so incredible!!

they tasted better than most tandoori chicken I have eaten. :blink:

You could even taste the yummy slightly charred parts, I hope these stay around for ever.....

the kimchi ones were quite good and really did taste like kimchi, but they can't compare to the taste of the tandoori ones.

Tonight, I stopped in at Seven Eleven to pay a bill. Remembering Kristin's raves for the Tandori Chicken chips, I checked to see if they had 'em... and they did. I felt obliged to buy a bag.

I really like the flavor. They're barbecue flavored chips, but without the sweetness or the strange lingering aftertaste that I've always associated with babecue flavored chips.

-------

Alex Parker

• 1 month later...

Note: This is a repeat of my post on the "International potato chips, gems and horrible, horrible duds" thread in the Adventures in Eating forum.

In the interests of eGullet potato chip research, I picked up a bag of these the other day.

gallery_18820_1156_18456.jpg

Calbee Tomato Wave-cut Chips

Specifically, I wanted to see how these would stack up against ketchup-flavoured chips available here in Canada. They were light, crunchy, not too greasy and sweeter than ketchup-flavoured chips. Less red residue left on my hands too, which is a huge plus.

The bag lasted all of about 2.2 seconds. And no, I didn't share with anyone else. :hmmm::rolleyes:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

• 3 months later...
Torakris...You're a tayta chips junkie!!!  The tiger and dragon chips look mighty yummy!

who doesn't love potato chips!? :biggrin:

unfortunately in Japan the flavors are out for such a short time I rarely eat the same bag twice.. I would really love to have those tandoori chicken flavored ones again.

who doesn't love potato chips!? :biggrin:

unfortunately in Japan the flavors are out for such a short time I rarely eat the same bag twice.. I would really love to have those tandoori chicken flavored ones again.

Just consider yourself lucky that you get to try all these wild and crazy flavors - we only get the standard bbq and spicy Calbee potato chips. What I wouldn't do to have all these different flavors (well, maybe it's a good thing or I'll be 20 lbs heavier! :raz: )

Just consider yourself lucky that you get to try all these wild and crazy flavors - we only get the standard bbq and spicy Calbee potato chips.  What I wouldn't do to have all these different flavors (well, maybe it's a good thing or I'll be 20 lbs heavier!  :raz: )

Tough Cookie, you should go to Yaohan in Richmond - Osaka supermarket & the candy store upstairs (Candyland) both have a few varieties of the Calbee chips - I've seen curry, tomato, & seaweed flavours as well. Plus there are other brands of chips with flavours like okonomiyaki & ones I can't remember right now :smile:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

my latest

gallery_6134_1857_28135.jpg

left: jyako and mentaiko (baby sardines and spicy cod roe) --that just sounds better in Japanese... :hmmm:

right: tomato and mozarella

I am eating the tomato and mozarella one right now and wow! it tastes like a pizza without the crust, how do they do this?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't normally care for Ozack potato chips as they taste sort of like a puffed potato chip, it is difficult to explain....

gallery_6134_1960_4599.jpg

curry rice flavor and yakitori flavor

I didn't really care for either and the 5 kids that ate them said the curry flavor won hands down.

Not chips, but these Cheeto-like snacks . Since I can't read Japanese & I can't find any other flavours of these kinds of snacks, I'm guessing that Calbee discontinued their other flavours? In Vancouver, we still have garlic toast, bbq, cheese (Swiss cheese, maybe? The flavour is really mild), and bacon flavours. I tried a green curry flavour of these recently, and they were pretty good. Spicier than Calbee's regular curry flavoured chips.

I bought a whole bunch of Calbee chips recently because they were on sale, and quite liked the pizza flavoured one. Really interesting that, instead of mozzarella flavouring, there were cheddar & gouda flavours! I could even taste the gouda! The pizza flavour tasted smokier than the bbq ones though! :laugh: I also tried the gyoza Calbee chips (from one of the pretend 100-yen stores - I say "pretend" because they're anywhere from $2-5) which were pretty yummy.

• 3 months later...

I haven't had potato chips in a while... :biggrin:

I saw a bunch of new ones in the store, so I decided to give them a try.

gallery_6134_1960_7618.jpg

Kimchi chige (hotpot) flavor

tasted like chile pepper and that was about it, disappointing

gallery_6134_1960_39990.jpg

I normally don't care for the Ozack chips (I don't like the texture) but this sounded good. Shiodare Kalbi (grilled beef with a salt based sauce), the name just sounds better in Japanese. These were awful, I can't even tell you what they tasted like it was a non-descriptive odd flavor. My 10 year old tasted one and said they were gross and didn't eat any more.

I haven't yet tried these, I am a little potato chip'd out....

Ponzu flavor

gallery_6134_1960_10081.jpg

Gee and I thought these were pretty cool flavors....

http://www.rt11.com/default.cfm?URLKey=ChipGallery

the dill pickle is awsome and Mama Zuma is really really spicy

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

• 2 weeks later...

I just found these clam chowder flavored potato chips. I thought this was a great idea! I mean potatoes and clam chowder, they just go together. :biggrin:

Unfortunately they tasted of nothing, if I hadn't bought the bag I would have had no idea of what flavor it was...

gallery_6134_1960_20164.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

ketchup flavored potato chips

gallery_6134_2590_52151.jpg

when I saw this I thought to myself "Wow! what a great idea, why haven't they done this before?!" Then I came home and looked on the net and it seems it has been done (outside of Japan) quite a bit, and it seems to be especially popular in Cananda.

You're right, Kris: ketchup-flavoured chips are very popular here in Canada. As I had noted, the "tomato-flavoured" chips I posted upthread are lighter and sweeter than what I'd deem a standard ketchup-flavoured chip.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg