• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Chips in Japan

torakris

My personal favourite is KARAMUCHO. They come as normal potato chips, or in a cup as little sticks and both are delicious. Just the right amount of spiciness.

I also like okonomiyaki flavour chips.

when I saw this I thought to myself "Wow! what a great idea, why haven't they done this before?!" Then I came home and looked on the net and it seems it has been done (outside of Japan) quite a bit, and it seems to be especially popular in Cananda.

my first thought was, 'Yes! Canada beats Japan to the punch for bizarre foods for once!' :raz:

what did you think of them? I don't really like Canadian ketchup chips - I find them weirdly sweet

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

You're right, Kris:  ketchup-flavoured chips are very popular here in Canada.  As I had noted, the "tomato-flavoured" chips I posted upthread are lighter and sweeter than what I'd deem a standard ketchup-flavoured chip.

I totally agree - I tried those Calbee chips recently and was expecting Lay's ketchup chips but they tasted like tomato relish chips instead. In a good way :smile: Has anybody else noticed that the tomato flavour only comes in a wavy shape? I believe the pizza flavour also comes only in a ripple shape (not wavy, ripple).

when I saw this I thought to myself "Wow! what a great idea, why haven't they done this before?!" Then I came home and looked on the net and it seems it has been done (outside of Japan) quite a bit, and it seems to be especially popular in Cananda.

my first thought was, 'Yes! Canada beats Japan to the punch for bizarre foods for once!' :raz:

what did you think of them? I don't really like Canadian ketchup chips - I find them weirdly sweet

I only ate about 2, I didn't really care for them. They were quite sweet and I was expecting more of a BBQ tang but it wasn't there..

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Some new chips

gallery_6134_2590_29755.jpg

on the left is Italian Salad flavor (with basil and anchovy) and the right is buta-man (steamed pork bun).

I only tasted about 3 chips from each bag and I really liked the Italian Salad one but found the buta-man to be too sweet.

Also

gallery_6134_2590_29552.jpg

Matsuzaka steak flavor, I haven't opened this one yet.

This one and the butaman one are part of a series, I didn't realize this until I looked at their homepage. They bring out 2 new ones every 4 months, you can see pictures of the previous ones here, in the news release from the company.

They are all from different areas...

#1 was Hokkaido's butter potato flavor

#2 was Tohoku's (Sendai) grilled tongue flavor

#3 was Kyushu's (Kagoshima) black pork and tonkatsu sauce flavor

#4 was Hyogo's Kobe beef

#5 and #6 are pictures above

I am not sure how I missed those first ones :biggrin: especially the tongue and tonkatsu.

They don't seem to be doing very well though, I picked them up on sale for 68 yen a bag (about $.50) when most chips are over 100yen..

• 2 years later...

I can't believe I have posted to this thread for over 2 years, there have been a lot of potato chips in that time!

This one didn't have as much flavor as I expected, Salt and Sesame Oil

gallery_6134_5519_313108.jpg

• 2 years later...

14022011498.jpg

green tea and red bean potato chips

14022011497.jpg

mocha cocoa potato chips

the mocha ones are really good. The green tea ones are note special. They just taste like sweet potato chips.

These are both a collaboration with the food celebrity Kimura.