• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Egg Dishes; Humor

I'd appreciate learning what egg dishes (non-dessert) sampled at a restaurant have been particularly memorable for you.

In addition, your input on when humor can play a significant role in a dish (with any available examples) would be of considerable interest to me.  :wink:

Arzak's duck egg poached with truffle oil and duck fat comes to mind--as does Keller's White Truffle Oil Infused Custard (baked in the shell) and "Bacon and Eggs" .  I think Barney Greengrass's Nova, Onions and Eggs is the gold standard for breakfast eggs.

As far as humor  or whimsy on a menu? I think it's a fine line--a razor sharp one. Only Keller consistently gets away with it. Most of the time, matters lurch quickly into the cutesy-and menus with "funny" or "ironic" or whimsically referential names  for dishes usually scare the hell out of me as misuse of the English language often sems to lead to misuse of food. I think subtle plays on classic dishes can work--and often do. But comedy and food rarely mix--at least from the diners point of view.

abourdain