• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Passionfruit in Southern California

Well, it's not like I'm going to die if I don't have it but I truly am in need of fresh passionfruit. Now. I know they are out there, perhaps not in abundance, but they are around.

Point me in the right direction, if you can!

Thanks.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Well, it's not like I'm going to die if I don't have it but I truly am in need of fresh passionfruit.  Now.  I know they are out there, perhaps not in abundance, but they are around. 

Thanks.

I'm echoing this plea, though in my case it IS a matter of: I"m going to die if I don't have one!

(Seriously, I would like to write about them and run the occasional recipe for them, but if they are not available, I cannot! I want to spread the utter joy of this exquisite fruit!).

and they are healthy too!

x m

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

Well, it's not like I'm going to die if I don't have it but I truly am in need of fresh passionfruit.  Now.  I know they are out there, perhaps not in abundance, but they are around. 

Thanks.

I'm echoing this plea, though in my case it IS a matter of: I"m going to die if I don't have one!

(Seriously, I would like to write about them and run the occasional recipe for them, but if they are not available, I cannot! I want to spread the utter joy of this exquisite fruit!).

x m

Come visit me, we have beautiful passion fruit here.

Thanks for the offers, Chris and Michelle, but, oddly enough, I took some of my not quite complete passionfruit curd to a friend who I knew would enjoy it. I explained to him that it wasn't perfect, as it should have some fresh pulp stirred into it. He started laughing and told me they have a humongous passionfruit crop right now! I had no idea! So I've found my local source, almost in my own backyard!

Thanks for the offers...Michelle, if there had been an airline ticket involved, I might have taken you up on your offer! :wink:

Thanks again!

edited to ask: Marlena: are you in southern California??? If so, I might be willing to share!

Edited by kitwilliams (log)

kit

Weebl

May I retract my last post? My darling friends just brought me a bagful of passionfruit. They are yellow and nothing like the dark, purply-brownish fruits with which I'm familiar. Opened one up to find a kind of fluffy, white, dry membrane with a bunch of small, dark red seed pods. Not much taste, no juice, oh-so-disappointing!

So, I've learned that all passionfruit are not created equal. Did a lot of googling and found this.

So, Marlena, don't come over to my house for passionfruit. And Chris...do you have one of the varieties of purple passionfruit?

Still hopeful...

kit

Weebl

I don't know if this is a passion fruit, but my dad grows this pink flower fruit thing in the backyard. Very strange looking. The size of a small orange. The inside looks and tastes just like a kiwi but milder. Anyone know what it is?

i believe i saw some (the dark purplish ones) at the wednesday farmers' market in santa monica. (i say "i believe" because i just passed by the stand and didn't get up very close.) if i go tomorrow, i'll keep an eye out for them.

I don't know if this is a passion fruit, but my dad grows this pink flower fruit thing in the backyard. Very strange looking. The size of a small orange. The inside looks and tastes just like a kiwi but milder. Anyone know what it is?

Found it. Called a dragon fruit.

http://www.geogr.uni-goettingen.de/kus/pic...ragon-fruit.jpg

x m

Come visit me, we have beautiful passion fruit here.

Michelle, you know, I am definately coming to visit you one of these days! do passion fruit have a season? israel has been growing some fabulous mangos that i've been buying here (in britain) lately. really sweet and fragrant.

and kitwilliams! you know, i'm in LA for a family wedding this sunday through tuesday, and i was thinking: oh, if only I have a chance to get away, I can go get passionfruit til my hearts content!

never mind, it was a sweet sweet offer.

and michelle, i must send you my favourite summery drink with passionfruit, cranberry juice, amaretto and blackberry vodka, and fresh lime. sounds strange, tastes divine!

x x m

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com