• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
Jennifer Schell

A long overdue return to Paris

Bonjour! I am planning a week in Paris at the end of September and have been reading all of the fabulous restaurant recommendations that have been posted. I can always use more - a top three perhaps? I am also trying to find an apartment to rent for the week (preferably near a market as I hope to thrill my fiancee with my culinary skills en francais) :biggrin: Does anyone have any recommendations for accommodation and for a great cooking class that I can take? I would love to attend one that will take me through the market pre-cooking for a tour. Merci!

HauteDog

When I lived in Paris, I knew a woman named Stephanie Curtis. She might be a good source for a tour. Take a look at this site (lots of interesting info) and search for her name:

Sally's Place

Even if she doesn't have exactly the kind of tour you want, she will know who does.

Good Luck and have a wonderful time!

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Does anyone have any recommendations for accommodation and for a great cooking class that I can take?  I would love to attend one that will take me through the market pre-cooking for a tour. 

Marlena Spieler enthusiastically recommends Promenades Gourmandes. Paule's web site reads as though it were exactly what you're looking for.

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

Does anyone have any recommendations for accommodation and for a great cooking class that I can take?  I would love to attend one that will take me through the market pre-cooking for a tour. 

Marlena Spieler enthusiastically recommends Promenades Gourmandes. Paule's web site reads as though it were exactly what you're looking for.

Marlena, here, seconding John's seconding my own praise of Paule Caillat's Promenades Gourmandes.

here's how a promenade gourmande goes: you all meet up at a cafe, and then Paule takes you to a morning market near her home, a charmingly untouristy market in the 3rd (marais). you shop, she badgers the vendors, shows you how to get the best of this and that, h ow to choose fish, fruit, whatever, and afterwards you go to her purpose built apartment with cooking class kitchen facilities. before the class she will ask you if there is anything you are particularly interested in, such as fish, souffles, etc. she is tres tres francaise, and after a morning with paule, you will be too. so its: morning shop, cooking class, have lunch together of the food you've bought and prepared. If you opt for a whole day programme she can take you further afield to speciality shops etc. Paule is a very outspoken Parisienne, and I recommend spending a day with her. You'll find youself pursing your lips meaningfully for weeks afterwards.

I've been to about 5 of Paules classes already, and it is a wonderful way of being totally submerged in being parisian (cooking and eating). and she gives good advice about where to find things, buy things, etc. you'll learn good classic cooking skills, too, esp if you opt for one of her tarts (a marvellous unorthodox crust), souffle, etc.

x marlena

www.promenadesgourmandes.com

or you can go to my link page on www.marlenaspieler.com where i have her listed as favourite things and places......

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

Jennifer, I know this is too late for your wkend, but I just wanted to give another second to the previous remarks about Paule Caillat's cooking classes & tours - She is a true force of nature: energetic, knowledgeable, and an absolute hoot. Her afternoon tour took us to Lionel Poilane's basement ovens, a 5th generation saffron establishment, and (of course) Dehillerin. One of the best Paris days I can remember, and I've had lots.

Bartow

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By TexasMBA02
      After batting about .500 with my previous approach to macarons, I came across Pierre Herme's base recipe online.  After two flawless batches of macarons, I've been re-energized to continue to work at mastering them.  Specifically, I want to try more of his recipes.  My conundrum is that he has, as far as I can tell, two macaron cookbooks and I don't know which one I should get.  I can't tell if one is just an updated version of the other or a reissue or what the differences really are.  I was hoping somebody had some insight.  I have searched online and haven't seen both books referenced in the same context or contrasted at all.

This one appears to be older.

And this one appears to be the newer of the two.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks,

• By liuzhou
      The rise and fall of French cuisine

interesting read.

• By pastrygirl
      There are two local grocery stores here who I'd like to try to sell chocolate to but they have policies forbidding GMO soy,  Soy lecithin is allowed only if organic or certified non-GMO. 

I use a lot of Felchlin, some Valrhona, a little Cacao Barry. The only mention of GMOs I've found from Felchlin is this note in a brochure: GMO absence:  Felchlin fulfills current legislative requirements regarding GMO absence.  All Felchlin products comply with the Swiss Regulation and the European Council Regulation related to genetically modified organisms in food and feed.

Does anybody know what those requirements are?  Is anything European going to be GMO-free?  Or labeled above some %?

• By umami5
      Has anyone come across a digital version of Practical Professional Cookery (revised 3rd edition) H.L. Cracknell & R.J. Kaufmann.
      I am using this as the textbook for my culinary arts students and a digital version would come in very handy for creating notes and handouts.
    • By Mullinix18
      I dont believe that any English translation of Carêmes works exist. An incomplete version was published in 1842 (I think) but even the that version seems lackluster for the few recipes it does cover. I think it's time the world looks to its past, but I don't speak great French and it's a huge task to undertake. I hopefully plan on publishing this work and anyone who helps me will get a very fair cut, and if we decide not to publish it, I'll put it out on the internet for free. I'm working in Google docs so we can collaborate. I'm first cataloging the index to cross reference the pre-existing incomplete English version to give us a reference of what yet needs to be done, and from there we will go down the list of recipies and Translate them one by one. Simple google translate goes only so far, as it is 1700s French culinary terms and phrases being used. I'd like to preserve as much of Carêmes beautiful and flowery language as possible. Who's with me?