• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A long overdue return to Paris

Bonjour! I am planning a week in Paris at the end of September and have been reading all of the fabulous restaurant recommendations that have been posted. I can always use more - a top three perhaps? I am also trying to find an apartment to rent for the week (preferably near a market as I hope to thrill my fiancee with my culinary skills en francais) :biggrin: Does anyone have any recommendations for accommodation and for a great cooking class that I can take? I would love to attend one that will take me through the market pre-cooking for a tour. Merci!

HauteDog

When I lived in Paris, I knew a woman named Stephanie Curtis. She might be a good source for a tour. Take a look at this site (lots of interesting info) and search for her name:

Sally's Place

Even if she doesn't have exactly the kind of tour you want, she will know who does.

Good Luck and have a wonderful time!

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Does anyone have any recommendations for accommodation and for a great cooking class that I can take?  I would love to attend one that will take me through the market pre-cooking for a tour. 

Marlena Spieler enthusiastically recommends Promenades Gourmandes. Paule's web site reads as though it were exactly what you're looking for.

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

Does anyone have any recommendations for accommodation and for a great cooking class that I can take?  I would love to attend one that will take me through the market pre-cooking for a tour. 

Marlena Spieler enthusiastically recommends Promenades Gourmandes. Paule's web site reads as though it were exactly what you're looking for.

Marlena, here, seconding John's seconding my own praise of Paule Caillat's Promenades Gourmandes.

here's how a promenade gourmande goes: you all meet up at a cafe, and then Paule takes you to a morning market near her home, a charmingly untouristy market in the 3rd (marais). you shop, she badgers the vendors, shows you how to get the best of this and that, h ow to choose fish, fruit, whatever, and afterwards you go to her purpose built apartment with cooking class kitchen facilities. before the class she will ask you if there is anything you are particularly interested in, such as fish, souffles, etc. she is tres tres francaise, and after a morning with paule, you will be too. so its: morning shop, cooking class, have lunch together of the food you've bought and prepared. If you opt for a whole day programme she can take you further afield to speciality shops etc. Paule is a very outspoken Parisienne, and I recommend spending a day with her. You'll find youself pursing your lips meaningfully for weeks afterwards.

I've been to about 5 of Paules classes already, and it is a wonderful way of being totally submerged in being parisian (cooking and eating). and she gives good advice about where to find things, buy things, etc. you'll learn good classic cooking skills, too, esp if you opt for one of her tarts (a marvellous unorthodox crust), souffle, etc.

x marlena

www.promenadesgourmandes.com

or you can go to my link page on www.marlenaspieler.com where i have her listed as favourite things and places......

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

• 1 month later...

Jennifer, I know this is too late for your wkend, but I just wanted to give another second to the previous remarks about Paule Caillat's cooking classes & tours - She is a true force of nature: energetic, knowledgeable, and an absolute hoot. Her afternoon tour took us to Lionel Poilane's basement ovens, a 5th generation saffron establishment, and (of course) Dehillerin. One of the best Paris days I can remember, and I've had lots.

Bartow