• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's new and noteworthy

Hoping to glean a few tips on any new dining establishments in the Seattle belltown area. Taking the clipper over next week, so we shall be on foot, although a cab ride is not out of the question.

Our usual haunts of Le Pichet, Salumi and Harvest Vine are on the agenda but we're hoping for a few more highlights.

What's new Seattle?

I assume you've been to Salumi. If not, go there. Just had my first experience two hours ago, can still taste the pig cheek sub. Unbelievable.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Our usual haunts of Le Pichet, Salumi and Harvest Vine are on the agenda but we're hoping for a few more highlights.

What's new Seattle?

If you've never been to Matt's in the Market, I'd advise a trip there. Lovely food, lovely space, lovely people. :wink: Always high on the recommend list for out-of-towners.

Born Free, Now Expensive

I'm also currently crazy about 35th St Bistro but that would require a short taxi ride to the Center of the Universe, beautiful downtown Fremont. It's a french bistro, so perhaps Le Pichet will fill that bill for you, but 35th St makes the tastiest eggs benedict in town on Sat/Sun for brunch.

I'm also still very adoring of the food at Lark (also a short cab ride, but up to Capital Hill this time, even closer than Harvest Vine!) review here. Small plate venue, eat as much or as little as you like, I've heard angels singing while eating here. :wink:

Born Free, Now Expensive

My favorite in Belltown is Marjorie. I've almost never felt more relaxed or "at home" in a restaurant.

http://www.trenchtownrocks.com/

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

• 2 weeks later...

We did have another stellar dining experience in Seattle. We returned to some of our favourite haunts and tried the new Lark - sleek contemporary room, I like the innovative layout where you can curtain off areas of the room.

Went back to The Harvest Vine. Exceptional food but we did notice a vase increase in the price point of tapas. The current $15 to $17. per small plate price point really squeezed our budget and we'll have to give a pass to the vine next time round.

In comparison, Le Pichet, continues to offer the best plates big on flavour at affordable prices. Crisp fried pork tongue on shredded carrots marinated with cumin, currants, orange and parsley - $8.00 - excellent value. And such a cozy room. I hear rumour that they are planning on a second location..........

Our favourite happy hour haunt is the Metropolitan, where a three set of raw oyster shooter are $1.50, giant beer boiled prawns, $1.50 and three tiny sandwiches of prime roast beef with creamy horseradish - again, $1.50.

Paid a visit to Matts on the Market and were suitably impressed with the kitchen set up - two propane burners and one convection oven. And a staff so wine saavy. In fact, everywhere we dined we encountered pro service staff.

I love Seattle.

In comparison, Le Pichet, continues to offer the best plates big on flavour at affordable prices. Crisp fried pork tongue on shredded carrots marinated with cumin, currants, orange and parsley - $8.00 - excellent value. And such a cozy room. I hear rumour that they are planning on a second location..........

If the prices stay the same - and the food as good - next trip try Black Bottle - all plates $8 ($7 for desserts.) 1st and Vine (?) which most can walk to from the Market.

If the prices stay the same - and the food as good - next trip try Black Bottle - all plates $8 ($7 for desserts.) 1st and Vine (?) which most can walk to from the Market.

I want to like Black Bottle. I really, really, really do. But I've been three times and have had uneven experiences with the food and service each time. Food: have tried the clams (flavorless, although (inexplicably) the broth was pretty good and excellent for dipping (working theory: they threw in some clam juice)); the prosciutto flatbread (prosciutto cut way too thick, sysco-quality bechamel, and cold to the touch); and spicy shrimp (so cold to the touch that we sent it back; it was returned, heated, but had the same problem as the clams: rather flavorless, but enough that there was an issue (see below)).

Service: good the first two times, but we were sitting at the counter, so it was easy enough. The third time, we waited for fifteen minutes (after being seated) to get our server's attention. Once we did, we ordered. I asked if a particular wine would go well with the above-described shrimp; our server said it would be terrific. It was not terrific; it was actually quite a bad pair, bad beyond the realm of subjectivity, and I wish our waiter had steered us away from it. Twenty more minutes waiting, and our food came out before the wine.

Ugh. As I said, I really want to like this place, and I think it's trying...but there are some serious kinks that need to be worked out! I'll go back if the bar is open and I'll be happy to have some wine, but I'm done with the food...for awhile!