• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Late night shopping in Paris

I'll be getting into Paris about 8 p.m. this tomorrow (Aug. 27) and was hoping to pick up a few essential for breakfast the next morning like milk, juice, eggs etc. I'm renting an apartment for the time I'm in town. Is there a grocery store that's open late on a Sat. so I can pick up some of these things?

Damn, just realized my first full day in Paris will be a Sun! That can't be good. Most pastry shops are closed on Sundays, oui?

I'll be getting into Paris about 8 p.m. this tomorrow (Aug. 27) and was hoping to pick up a few essential for breakfast the next morning like milk, juice, eggs etc. I'm renting an apartment for the time I'm in town. Is there a grocery store that's open late on a Sat. so I can pick up some of these things?

Damn, just realized my first full day in Paris will be a Sun! That can't be good. Most pastry shops are closed on Sundays, oui?

1. Most neighborhoods have 7/11-like shops that are called "Arab," in the mould of "Monsieur Ibrahim et les fleurs du Coran." Like the Korean grocers in NY they offer basic but ample olives, veggies, wine and tinned goods. My local Monoprix closes at 9 PM as does the La Grande Epicerie at Bon Marche.

2. Saturday morning, many neighborhood bakeries/pastry shops and outdoor markets, including the bio one on Raspail are open until 1 PM or so. Sunday afternoon things are pretty tightly closed.

Have a good visit.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Pierre Herme is open Sunday, so do many neighbourhood patisseries.

And if you are in that hood you might want to walk down to Blvd Raspail to the organic market. There are plenty of stuff you could buy, milk, cheese, vegetables, fruits, etc. It's open until about 1pm.

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

I realize it is too late for 2010's need, but for others searching this thread in the future, that indispensable weekly Zurban has just published a special on Paris at Night in which it lists the following markets that are open late (all are closed Sundays):

Daily Monop - 6 bd, Sebastpol in the 4th, til 12 MN

Daily Monop - 55bis, bd Montparnasse in the 6th, M-Thurs til 12 MN, F&Sat til 1 AM

Monoprix - 52, av Champs-Elysees in the 8th, til 12 MN

As for pharmacies, Zurban's ParisPratique page lists:

Pharmacie des Champs - 84, av Champs-Elysees 24/24

Pharmacie d'Italie - 61, ave d'Italie 8 AM - 2 AM

And 24 hour restos include:

Au Pied de Cochon

Le Tambour

Les Chimeres

Starcooker

Cafe Atelier

Le Mondrian

l'Alsace Champs-Elysees