• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for premium, high herbal liquer ?

Joerg.Meyer

As I am doing some "market" research for my cousin, I want to ask: What is the most "premium" herbal liquor you know, you prefer...

For example here in Germany Jägermeister and Underberg are very famous...but they are not really high end...

Did their exist a real premium herbal brand in the spirit market?

Thanks for your tips.

Kind Regards

Joerg.Meyer

gotta be fernet!!

No... Fernta Branca and Menta are really good made and nice in taste (if you one ore to glasses). But thats a little bit of my question. You now...here we have next to germany brand like Jägermeister and Underberg, The Italian Gang like Fernet, Cynar, Campari (bitter) Braulio, Averna, Ramazotti... but ...for this are all ery good spirits, but ...when you compare it to other spirits...they are not "premium" ... does there exist an premium herbal market .. like it is at vodka or gin?

Kind Regards

Jörg Meyer

... does there exist an premium herbal market .. like it is at vodka or gin?

I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for if you want something like the "superpremium" vodka market. This is because the premium vodka market is high volume and largely about marketing. It's not like Van Gogh is inherently a better vodka than Luksusowa simply because it comes in a fancy bottle and costs twice as much. The market for herbal liquor is just not that way. Especially since the majority of herbal liqueurs, digestivi, etc. tend to be more or less unique and not directly comparable to other brands. It's not even like the fruit liqueur market, where there are leading brands (e.g., Cointreau) and lesser brands (e.g., all the other triple sec brands). Are you thinking of something like a special superpremium version of Campari that costs three times more than regular Campari? The Chartreuse V.E.P. bottlings are the only ones like that of which I am aware.

--