• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Butchers in mid-Maine

Hello all,

I've recently moved to the mid-Maine area & am looking for quality suppliers for meat products. I don't mind driving a bit if the quality is good. So, Portland through the mid-coast is ok. Ottomanelli in NYC is my model but I realize I may not find that here. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Wolfe's Neck in Freeport recently handed off (or maybe created) their retail unit to a separate entity. Their website has a list of maine stores that carry their excellent product.

In Portland, Pat's Meat Market, 484 Stevens Avenue Portland, ME. 04103 Tel:207-874-0706 is a great spot with a knowledgable staff.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Wolfe's Neck in Freeport recently handed off (or maybe created) their retail unit to a separate entity.  Their website has a list of maine stores that carry their excellent product.

In Portland, Pat's Meat Market, 484 Stevens Avenue Portland, ME. 04103 Tel:207-874-0706 is a great spot with a knowledgable staff.

Thanks for the suggestions :biggrin: . Any suggestions for less popular pork products? Tails, bellies, etc?

Wolfe's Neck in Freeport recently handed off (or maybe created) their retail unit to a separate entity.  Their website has a list of maine stores that carry their excellent product.

Thanks for the suggestions :biggrin: . Any suggestions for less popular pork products? Tails, bellies, etc?

I was at Pat's Meat Market this weekend and those guys were busy. They also gave me the impression they would find whatever it was you were looking for. Smoked Hamhocks were not in the case, for example, so into the freezer he went and came out with three.

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

I was at Pat's Meat Market this weekend and those guys were busy. They also gave me the impression they would find whatever it was you were looking for. Smoked Hamhocks were not in the case, for example, so into the freezer he went and came out with three.

I checked out Pat's yesterday in Portland. Look good. Thanks for the recommendation. Also checked out Micucci. Another good find. Thanks again.