• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktail kits: have you ever given or gotten one?

Gifted Gourmet

I have seen these advertised as gifts for hosts and hostesses and began to wonder what people here at eG actually think about them ..

are they silly or practical?

Insulting?

Simply quick and uncomplicated?

Your opinions? :rolleyes:

Which are the best? the worst of the kits?

Martini kit

Cosmopolitan kit

Snakebite Bloody Mary kit

Margarita kit

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Personally, I don't think I'd want one of these and I wouldn't give one.

Far better, I think, to give make something up yourself. You want to give someone a "Martini kit?" Pick up small bottles of Tanqueray and Noilly Pratt, maybe a little jar of olives, find a cool mixing glass and a Hawthorne strainer, and put it together with The Martini Companion: A Connoisseur's Guide by Gary & Mardee Regan.

Or, if you want to make a more general "cocktail kit" there are other books you could use, etc.

--

I wouldn't give any of them, but of the four, I think the martini one is the best choice, primarily because it (by necessity) contains no premade mixes. If someone gave it to me, at least I'd have a jar of onions and olives (although I don't use either in my martinis) and a CD that might have some decent music. If someone gave me a kit containing any kind of premade mix, I'd smile politely and toss it the minute the guest left.

I agree with Sam that making a "kit" from ingredients and equipment you choose yourself can be fun.

During a trip to New Orleans I picked up some extra Herbsaint and also Peychaud's Bitters. Along with some Bourbon or Rye and a recipe these became "Sazerac kits" for a few friends.

So, I like the idea of putting together a kit but wouldn't buy a pre-made one.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Agreed. Put it together yourself! I just got someone a rum, limes, hand-press juicer, a muddler, a shaker and a strainer for making mojitos. I wrote out my own recipe. I think he quite liked the gift!

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

I have an aluminum case that holds 4 martini glasses, a shaker,orange bitters, a small vermouth, onions and olives and a bottle of Gin. Add ice and off we go, it lives in my truck.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

It appears that the overwhelming answer to my inital question is "do it yourself" because one can be more creative in putting together the gift kit .. and more selective in what is included in the kit ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"