• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTH! Paula Deen...

dvs

DID I REALLY SEE HER MAKE BREAD PUDDING W/ KRISPY CREME DONUTS??!!

what the hell is up with that?? is she TRYING to kill people??

i'd already kind of forgiven her CRAZY use of cream cheese, mayo & butter... BUT THIS IS JUST FLIPPIN NUTS!!!! :wacko:

DID I REALLY SEE HER MAKE BREAD PUDDING W/ KRISPY CREME DONUTS??!!

what the hell is up with that?? is she TRYING to kill people??

i'd already kind of forgiven her CRAZY use of cream cheese, mayo & butter... BUT THIS IS JUST FLIPPIN NUTS!!!!  :wacko:

good??? good enough to KILL YOU!!!! tard.gif

It's a Southern thing. This isn't the sort of dessert that is eaten every week. One day soon I hope people will appreciate the fact that there is Southern cuisine that comes from places other than New Orleans and Miami.

Is this dish healthful, no. Is it inventive, yes. It's the sort of dessert that any home cook can make and be the hit of a dinner party. That's Paula's audience. She serves them well.

I mean, how could it NOT be good?

Man alive. How many bites of this do you suppose one person can handle? I do love Ms. Paula, and am amazed that her entire staff isn't in the cardiac unit, assuming they're the ones who eat all of the food made during the tapings.

Wowza.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Oh, Yeah!! Krispy Kremes are a true Southern delicacy, right up there with grits and fried okra.

And after Krispy Kreme wedding cakes, why is anyone surprised at the KK bread pudding? Sandra Lee must be pea-green that she didn't think of it first.

And what's next? They can go just so far in the kitchen, so any day now I expect them to emerge on a craft show, maybe a stack threaded up the wooden handle of a toilet plunger, like those stacks of paper rolls with the cutesy little crocheted pig's head. Be prepared.

actually she did not make this up, but got it from a friend. I'd love to taste it, but I'm not brave enough to make it. I have enough problems worrying about my weight as it is. I've been trying to talk my friends into trying this for years, just so I can stick a fork in it...to no avail. God, I love sweetened condensed milk!

My sister says this is death by donut.

Oh, Yeah!!    Krispy Kremes are a true Southern delicacy, right up there with grits and fried okra.

And after Krispy Kreme wedding cakes, why is anyone surprised at the KK bread pudding?    Sandra Lee must be pea-green that she didn't think of it first.

And what's next?  They can go just so far in the kitchen, so any day now I expect them to emerge on a craft show, maybe a stack threaded up the wooden handle of a toilet plunger, like those stacks of paper rolls with the cutesy little crocheted pig's head.  Be prepared.

no fan am I, but I fail to see how this is any worse than any other over the top dessert. You just don't eat alot of it. It's a dessert. Something sweet to follow some savory dishes and, if you wish, accompany coffee or dessert drinks. This is not something that I am going to make ( I don't like Krispy Kreme, at all, but that is a personal taste thing-I don't even like doughnuts very much, so this would not be an appealing thing for me to persue).

On the other hand, if it's about making bread pudding the right way, well, I make it with ginger cake from Lejeune's Bakery in Jeanerette all the time. It's not traditional, but it's damn good. Does that make me like Sandra Lee? I think not.

There is also a level where everyone jumps to this conclusion that EVERYONE in the South eats this kind of stuff at every meal. Suprise! We don't. Sure, out food is, on whole, traditionally more calorie laden than what people in other parts of the country tend to eat, but we also probably consume more fresh vegetables, thanks to culture and availablity, than other parts of the country. In my part of the South, we have two full growing seasons. I have just completed planting a fall garden that will make, some years, well into December. In fact, the lettuces and other greens will make until the Spring if well tended.

And though I am not her biggest fan, Paula Deen and Sandra Lee are, in my mind, an apples and oranges comparison.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

That is not a recipe unique to Paula Deen. I've been making bread pudding with left over donuts for many years, and I sure didn't make up the recipe, but got it passed down from...who knows! Left over donuts, especially the rolls with the cinnamon in 'em, make very tasty bread pudding!

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

On the other hand, if it's about making bread pudding the right way, well, I make it with ginger cake from Lejeune's Bakery in Jeanerette all the time. It's not traditional, but it's damn good. Does that make me like Sandra Lee? I think not.

Ginger cake bread pudding? That's sounds intriguing. Is the cake really cake-like? Do you let it dry out a bit before making the dish?

Any chance you could post the recipe?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/re...6_27413,00.html

Hmmmm... Pretty funny... Supposedly it's good tho...

Fruit cocktail? Really? I don't know how I feel about that...

I'm with Lesfen on that bit...I would think you could leave it out, maybe add a little extra milk to make up for the missing liquid from the fruit cocktail.

Reminds me of that recipe from Steel Magnolias for "Cuppa Cuppa Cuppa" - cup of fruit cocktail, cup of sugar, cup of flour, mix together and bake till "gold and bubbly." Eek.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

krispy kremes aren't even from the south, are they?

Indeed they are. Krispy Kreme was founded in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, in 1937. Here's a link to the "History" section of their corporate website.

Queenie Takes Manhattan

It's all about being creative with what you have: cheap ingredients, leftovers, pantry staples.

Except for the fruit cocktail. Never could understand that one!

Exactly! This is what bread pudding, stuffing, rice pudding, fried rice, ribbolita, etc. are all about. Or, at least, were all about when they were first invented.

Queenie Takes Manhattan

I love Paula Dean. In this health concious age, she firmly goes her own way, with lashings of cream, butter, cheese, sugar, and all the other things we're not supposed to eat. I used to watch Emeril so I could yell at him, but it became too easy. Now I watch Paula and egg her on, living vicariously, imagining how delicious that full fat food is while I eat my salad and steamed fish.

BTW: I always buy two Pannetone at the holidays and make a wonderful bread pudding with one of them.

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

something else ridiculous to do with krispy kremes:

deep fry(again) when they are a day old or more: amazing what happens to the texture... Top with a scoop of ice cream...i had this the first time at 3rd street diner in Richmond, then have made it at home since...

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

Oh, Mr. Mayhaw Man---you thought I was KNOCKING the dish? I'm the original GRITS girl, the okra fanatic, the dyed-in-the-cotton Delta woman with recipes for every congealed salad and pimiento cheese between here and the Home Demonstration Club.

And I wasn't comparing Miss Paula and Sandra...I just said SL would have LOVED to premiere that dish. Though I did defend Miss Semi once, on the Rachel Ray thread, and got my toes soundly nipped, so I'm staying away from that one.

And time for true confessions here: I MADE the pudding once, but I cheated. I gazed at the box with the leftover Tigertails after houseguests had left after pastries and coffee on the patio early one morning, and had that beauty in the oven by 9 a.m., Eagle Brand and all.

The family took one look, said "What's that brown streak?" and had gingerly little spoonfuls after dinner. It was TOO rich for human consumption (and unlike Truvy/Dolly, I did not serve it over ice cream to cut the sweetness), so I put it out by the potting shed for our resident possum and raccoon. (Though I later DID find a possum carcass out behind the compost pile, I refuse to believe it was Death by Donuts).

Count me as a Paula fan. Mayo rules!! And she's a great laugher.

I've seen the Krispy Kreme episode and I have to say that I've never made anything that Paul makes. However, I watch her whenever possible because I think that her love of life and food is contagious. She may not be cooking healthy but she represents what I think all of us feel about food and sharing that love of food with friends and family. I just wish she'd cut back on the butter a little. I'd like to see her around for a lot longer!!